Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

A mouthbreather's game changer enabling use of the P10
RE: A mouthbreather's game changer enabling use of the P10
(03-29-2017, 03:57 PM)2SleepBetta Wrote: Thanks for the red flag. Isn't there such a valve that could be coupled into the air hose? If not, then its a challenge to see what can be done to create one.

I would not modify the air hose by trying to couple a valve in there.  These are precisely engineered things that should be modified as little as possible.  All I am advising is caution.  Perhaps take a look at that Ultimate Chinstrap pupcamper mentioned.  It was designed by someone apparently to prevent breathing through the lips but if necessary one can breath through the fabric if you really try.  But as mentioned, it is pretty pricey!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2017, 11:28 AM)Marillion Wrote: . . . .I would have concerns about sealing off the mouth completely like that when using the Airfit P10.  After all, it doesn't have an anti asphyxiation valve built in.  If you had a power outage and were sleeping very deeply, very likely you would wake up before suffocating and take the gear off, but I'm not sure if personally I would want to take that chance.  That looks like much more than a light taping to keep the lips closed.

Marillion,

I improvised for temporary use the safety valve, thanks to you,  the extra (safe) elbow I had (for attaching the heated hose to the F10 mask), plus  a couple of old hoses I could cannibalize to make a short female-female connector that would enable insertion of the valve at the P10 hose end. I hope to find there is a short 7/8 inch O.D. female-female adapter and a straight-through valve.

Good points you make about waking up and risk. Light taping didn't work for me. Further, I'm neither denying nor clear about why awakening is more assured if one is lightly taped rather than fully taped or using a similar positive sealing scheme. I have had in my early CPAP and APAP history a lot of extremely long OSA's: 60-90 seconds and more, even 2.5 minutes if the tiniest sip of air, a slight squiggle in the expanded graph,  is ignored in the record holder.

My once night-elbowing wife, who has moved away from Darth Vader to another bedroom, says I had long OSAs "for years"--that and not awakening for even 60 seconds when free to breathe  makes me edgy about power loss. I doubt I can hold my breath that long when awake so how can do it in sleep? Amazing. (I am relying on a backup power unit's buzzer to awaken us, but some safety redundancy in the valve is highly desirable.)

2SB
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
Marillion,

I didn't see this post of yours somehow, before writing below it. I hear you, but though possibly wrong in some way, I see no problem here.

I have a smooth, full-hose diameter bore in the adapter and have the F10 valve in line; the valve, for a FFM mask, I think is known to handle a greater airflow volume than the P10. That is to say it poses no significant restriction when handling a higher volume of air so should be good/acceptable for a lesser flow. Then there is the problem of no such valve for the P10, though it is known, it seems, to be prone to vent plugging when humidity is set too high and from airborne particles. Others might weigh in to help set me straight.

I do appreciate the apt warning, reflecting as it does the legitimate safety precautions and the liability avoidance measures exercised by professionals and manufacturers.

Rant. I have to admit to being jaded after so many of "the smartest people in the world" have gotten our country into such a mess: the unsustainable health care unrealities ignored by both political parties who abuse the word "insurance", the recently recognized Oroville Dam fiasco in California (not to mention Bay Bridge hinge pins), the Chevrolet and Pinto gas tank hazard in collisions, the seal role in the Challenger explosion, yada, yada. Then there are the sleep doctors whose omissions and limitations and their insurance related hobbles and blinders are the very motivation for this and similar helpful fora.

2SB
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I have been experimenting with head bands. This is extremely useful.
Post Reply Post Reply
I got an Ultimate Chin Strap a couple of weeks ago because I was having awful mouth leaks and a mask didn't work. The Ultimate strap works great (I can use it with both the p10 and the DreamWear.) It takes less than 10 seconds to put on (even in the dark) has only slipped off my totally bald head a couple of times when I hadn't properly fastened it, leaves no marks on your face, totally prevents mouth leaks by keeping your mouth nicely closed, and you can breathe through it fairly easily if for some reason your machine shuts off. It takes about 1 second to take it off. As you can tell, I highly recommend it. (And I'm NOT a shill for the company either, although I do like the fact that you can talk directly to the inventor and maker of it when you place your order.) At $50.00 it seems pricey, but since it works it's worth the investment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2017, 09:47 AM)Leemax Wrote: I got an Ultimate Chin Strap a couple of weeks ago because I was having awful mouth leaks and a mask didn't work. The Ultimate strap works great (I can use it with both the p10 and the DreamWear.) It takes less than 10 seconds to put on (even in the dark) has only slipped off my totally bald head a couple of times when I hadn't properly fastened it, leaves no marks on your face, totally prevents mouth leaks by keeping your mouth nicely closed, and you can breathe through it fairly easily if for some reason your machine shuts off. It takes about 1 second to take it off. As you can tell, I highly recommend it. (And I'm NOT a shill for the company either, although I do like the fact that you can talk directly to the inventor and maker of it when you place your order.) At $50.00 it seems pricey, but since it works it's worth the investment.

Thanks for this.  You might want to post a product review in that particular section of the forum.  This would be very helpful to others also, I think.  Does this strap ever get too warm?

2Sleep, sorry for the hijack!  I think it's great you are being cautious.  It sounds like you are very handy with figuring out what works for you.  I wish you continued success in your therapy!
Post Reply Post Reply
I haven't had a problem yet with it being too warm, but it's still pretty cold here. I've wondered what it will be like in the summer. I guess time will tell. I actually think it will be OK because the fabric is pretty breathable, and the strap doesn't cover that much of your head.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2017, 11:52 AM)Leemax Wrote: I haven't had a problem yet with it being too warm, but it's still pretty cold here. I've wondered what it will be like in the summer. I guess time will tell. I actually think it will be OK because the fabric is pretty breathable, and the strap doesn't cover that much of your head.

Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Idea [Treatment] Directory of patient-enabling CPAP Treatment Providers EasySleep 12 1,087 04-27-2023, 08:43 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  mouthbreather narrow FFM? simanco 6 1,975 11-08-2021, 06:28 AM
Last Post: onlyconnect
  Recording accelerometer, my second "hardware" game changer 2SleepBetta 13 2,658 10-07-2018, 04:44 AM
Last Post: 2SleepBetta
  Side-sleeping a game-changer??? MorningGirl 9 2,262 05-19-2018, 12:30 PM
Last Post: yrnkrn
  mouthbreather, can you help to interprete? christian4870 4 1,214 11-07-2017, 03:06 PM
Last Post: christian4870
  Mouthbreather, Taping Security item christian4870 1 967 11-07-2017, 06:51 AM
Last Post: silversnore
  New Sleep Doc, New Ball Game bwexler 1 1,715 10-10-2013, 12:39 AM
Last Post: Peter_C

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.