Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Extra Oxygen Eliminated My [Central] Apnea.
Extra Oxygen Eliminated My [Central] Apnea.
I have, or rather had, central sleep apnea.  A doctor prescribed a VPAP (not a CPAP) after misreading his own data and thinking I had obstructive.  At first I didn't know the difference but when the VPAP did no good I began to read and think on my own.  I realized that a VPAP (or a CPAP) is not expected to help with central apnea.  Before dropping the VPAP I wore it at elevations lower than my own (7,320 ft) in NM and at even the still high altitude of 5,000 ft. the VPAP said my apnea rate was down from 15 to 30/hr to only 2 or 3/hr.  So I central seems brought own by living at very high altitude.  I brought all this up with the doctor and he suggested dropping the VPAP and using only some additional O2 at night, using an oxygen condenser at 1.5 liters/hr.  To find out if this helps I fed the O2 tube into the VPAP and then my measured apnea rate went down to ZERO.  This happened two nights in a row and then two more nights exactly a year later.  I don't use the VPAP on normal nights, only to check on the effect of the extra O2.  I can't promise anything to anyone else, but for me at 7,000 ft with central apnea, using extra oxygen during the night eliminated my apnea.  And the blood pressure in my heart's right ventrical came down at the same time, so I lost apnea and gained a more normal heart.  (When I travel I'm always going to a lower elevation so I don't take an oxygen concentration with me.)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Extra Oxygen Eliminated My Apnea.
We have seen supplemental oxygen reduce instances of central apnea in a limited group of members previously...I can only think of one. The gold standard for treating central events is the Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV bilevel. It provides intelligent pressure support on a breath by breath basis to maintain respiratory rate and volumes. I have no idea why oxygen supplement works, but it is apparently effective with CPAP or bilevel on a limited number of individuals. It might be interesting to hear your doctor's opinion on ASV as an option, however, it is hard to complain about effective results.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Extra Oxygen Eliminated My [Central] Apnea.
A couple summers ago I visited Estes Park. During the visit mi AHI went from a normal ~5 each night. I was at 75 the last night there, mostly central. No doubt higher altitude can affect AHI.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,515 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,398 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 612 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 23 540 03-24-2024, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 855 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 265 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.