Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask settings on Dreamstation?
The mask settings on my machine are currently OFF. I would like to set it for nasal pillow mask, but I don't know what the numbers (1x - 5x) stand for. The manual does not specify, which I find weird.
Post Reply Post Reply
The mask settings only appy if yopu are using a Phillips Respironics Mask. If you are the mask setting x1- x5 is shown on the mask. If its a different brand of mask Phillips says to leave it off.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:The mask settings only appy if yopu are using a Phillips Respironics Mask. If you are the mask setting x1- x5 is shown on the mask. If its a different brand of mask Phillips says to leave it off.

Oh, ok, that explains it! Thank you.

So does everybody agree that it is best to leave it off or has someone tried changing that setting while using a P10? From what it looks like a P10 is pretty much the same as a Nuance, no?
Post Reply Post Reply

Here is a link to themask setting chart for Respironics System One mask settings control. It shows pillow mask settings as follows:
  • Large pillows- x1
  • Medium pillows- x2
  • Small pillows- x4
You can also do as TonyJ suggested, leave the setting off.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's great, thank, you, Pupcamper! I'm just trying to optimize my treatment. Might try it at the x4 setting for small pillow for a week and see if there is any significant difference.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use an F&P Eson nose mask... the clinic that set up my Dreamstation specifically left the mask setting turned off.

So TonyJ may well be correct in what he said (not yet read the manual myself, my machine is keeping me well within my driving licence compliance requirements, so I don't need to fiddle with it)
Post Reply Post Reply

(12-23-2016, 09:00 PM)Russatrice Wrote: That's great, thank, you, Pupcamper! I'm just trying to optimize my treatment. Might try it at the x4 setting for small pillow for a week and see if there is any significant difference.

I suspect changing the setting won't change your treatment, it would most likely only change how the software assesses the data it receives from the machine. Thinking-about

I'm sure the Gurus on here will clarify if that is how it works.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-23-2016, 09:00 PM)Russatrice Wrote: That's great, thank, you, Pupcamper! I'm just trying to optimize my treatment. Might try it at the x4 setting for small pillow for a week and see if there is any significant difference.

All it will do is make a slight (fraction of a centimeter) change in the pressure. If you're already optimizing your therapy by making adjustments to your pressure, this will simply screw that up a tiny bit for you.

All in all, it seems to be a marketing strategy to get Respironics machine owners to buy Respironics masks.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you are right, Sleepster, about the mask settings not affecting therapy enough to matter. My thought is it has more to do with the leak algorithm than anything else.
Post Reply Post Reply

Funny thing happened when I changed this setting to a x4 (for small pillow). Since October when I've started using this machine, my highest AHI was 3.6 (average around 2.7), but the first night with that setting, it recorded an AHI of 4.5, which was a bit shocking. The second night was a 3.5, then I changed it back. According to the above explanations these settings don't affect the therapy, so do you think this was just a freak coincidence?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  dreamstation go- auto start of ramp up? cbrts765 1 27 2 hours ago
Last Post: OpalRose
  Constant Air the same even when i change settings blackhawk2737303 6 169 3 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  using dreamstation go full time cbrts765 9 220 Yesterday, 09:20 PM
Last Post: NotADr
  Is my dreamstation humidifier working? ghstudio 2 97 Yesterday, 05:21 PM
Last Post: ghstudio
  Are AirSense and Dreamstation heated tubing interchangeable? doncaruana 2 105 Yesterday, 05:16 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  Dreamstation Go startup and data communication? dgnelsoni 2 86 12-09-2017, 08:52 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Noisy DreamStation BandMom 48 15,578 12-09-2017, 12:27 PM
Last Post: Walla Walla