Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Autoset is possed by demon
Autoset is possed by demon
So I get back from my DC trip. It was a fantastic trip! CPAP wise, I didn't take the humidifier but took the climateline hose so had an adventure trying to get that to work. Figured it out though.

Anyway, get back and the demon moved into my machine.

First, when I travel, I take with me another power cord and leave the current one at home. It's just easier. When I got home, just like always, I plugged my CPAP back in and everything on the machine flashed. That's when the demon got in. Duke Power sent it, I'm sure. I unplugged it from the wall, smelled for smoke or that "you fried it now" electronic smell and nothing. Plugged it into the back then into the wall and it flashed again. This was very different than I ever get. This was "there's a demon entering your machine" flash. Still, no smell, no flames. Everything worked fine for two nights. Then...

The card decided to go kuputz. Machine wouldn't read it. I go to bed one night and it is sititng there saying "Reading Card" or whatever. I pushed it so it came out then pushed it back in (this is a common thing for this machine, always has been). Went back to "reading card". Waited. Waited. Machine won't run while that is on so I did a few things and returned. Still on. Removed the card for the night and in the morning, pushed it back in. Came back a few hours later, still "reading card". Took it out and put it in my PC which doesn't even see the card although I could right click on the drive and it would tell me it was damaged. I had a second card which the demon accepted.

That night the machine started making a noise with each inhale. Humidifier attached but off, no water, Climateline, Simplus, Remzz liners. Sounds like a wheezing, cute, mouse with a microphone. Slowly got worse during the night until it was like an elephant with a cold. The next night, it is very loud. I undo the humidifier, put on the slimline direct to the blower unit. Just as loud. Covering it with a pillow didn't help the noise. Neither did covering my head work because the sound came down the hose. Last night I switched to the Nuance. Using the Simplus has always made the machine sound louder (quiet mask, loud machine) so I thought the Nuance might shut it up (noisier mask, quiet machine). It did quiet the noise some, but not all the way. Enough though that we could sleep!

I got this Autoset from Second Wind back in '12 I think. It is very possible it has died or is dying. The card reader has been getting worse. This noise though will get me kicked out of the bedroom.

I'm due for a new one via US Medicare in February (got the Escape back in '11) so I'll get the A10 then. But I'll have to get another used one before then. Unless someone knows how to exorcise a CPAP machine maybe?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Autoset is possed by demon
A Catholic priest and sprinkling of some holy water perhaps? Grin

It sounds like the main computer board is going. That can't be good. If it was just the noise, I would guess the blower but with the other symptoms...
Post Reply Post Reply
Last year my S9 Autoset started behaving a lot like what you've just described. My old S9 made a noise like the bearings were going out on a machine. It also corrupted my SD card. I do not know if the two problems were related, but when I bought a 'gently' used machine from Second Wind, all is much quieter in my bedroom.
Post Reply Post Reply
It does sound like your machine may have crapped itself. If it flashes like that, and the SD reader has always played up, it's probably time for a new machine as the motherboard has died.

I know with SD cards they have a limited read-write cycle. Is the SD card totally stuffed, like can't be formatted?
Post Reply Post Reply
It is a relatively new SD card. just a few months old. And I was able to reformat it on my PC just fine. The reader on this one has always been picky. The card had to go in juuuust right.

Yeah, I'm fairly certain it is a motherboard/blower issue. Although demon possession is so much cooler sounding.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-20-2016, 06:06 PM)wocko1 Wrote: It does sound like your machine may have crapped itself. If it flashes like that, and the SD reader has always played up, it's probably time for a new machine as the motherboard has died.

I know with SD cards they have a limited read-write cycle. Is the SD card totally stuffed, like can't be formatted?

Last year when I had my appointment with the sleep doctor, his office staff was unable to download my SD card from my S9 machine as they said it was corrupted. That might have been my first clue that my machine was ready to "bite the dust." It was not long after that the machine began making horrible noises.

Post Reply Post Reply
I occasionally blow my SD card out with DustOff. Can't hurt to try it.

But, it does sound like a machine with a death rattle.

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Well Paula, you are just going to be forced to quit traveling where all those demons hang out in order to keep your poor CPAP from becoming possessed.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Ya know, I didn't consider that. I may have brought one back with me and it took up residence there. Little stinker!
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
That is a good point. You never know what sort of evilness you might bring back from DC!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AutoSet for Her Mode brainfoggysleeper 4 223 02-25-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: brainfoggysleeper
  autoset vs autoset for her on airsense 11? Uzupan 7 1,369 02-06-2023, 03:37 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  S10 Autoset or S11 Autoset? The Latinist 3 1,849 02-01-2023, 04:57 PM
Last Post: tomtiki
  AirSense11 AutoSet dougsooley 4 752 10-22-2022, 03:49 PM
Last Post: dougsooley
  [Equipment] From iBreeze to Autoset 10 kirby4564 12 1,233 10-15-2022, 11:34 AM
Last Post: kirby4564
  Airsense Autoset 11 eroemer 3 702 10-02-2022, 10:36 AM
Last Post: eroemer
  Autoset 10 repair? Nightynite 8 1,124 06-22-2022, 10:17 AM
Last Post: cpapuserzzz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.