Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask stains pillow
Mask stains pillow
I changed my mask to Philips Amara View a half year ago. I like it, but there is one big problem: it stains our pillow slips with blue hieroglyphics... well, that's what it looks like. Why is this happening?! Does anyone have any experience with such a thing? Help!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask stains pillow
(10-17-2018, 09:41 AM)rogertoll Wrote: I changed my mask to Philips Amara View a half year ago. I like it, but there is one big problem: it stains our pillow slips with blue hieroglyphics... well, that's what it looks like. Why is this happening?! Does anyone have any experience with such a thing? Help!

Do you think it is the headgear doing that? If so, you could try washing any free dye from the headgear.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wrap a bath towel around my pillow.. not because of the mask staining the pillow slips, but because for some reason I tend to drool a little in my sleep on occasion, not every night - just at random now and then.

This may be an option for you while you solve the root cause, pick an old blue/green/brown/black towel.. not the nice new lemon yellow ones your wife just purchased.  Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
Small price for a healthy life.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-17-2018, 10:48 AM)Stom Wrote:
(10-17-2018, 09:41 AM)rogertoll Wrote: I changed my mask to Philips Amara View a half year ago. I like it, but there is one big problem: it stains our pillow slips with blue hieroglyphics... well, that's what it looks like. Why is this happening?! Does anyone have any experience with such a thing? Help!

Do you think it is the headgear doing that? If so, you could try washing any free dye from the headgear.

Thanks, but what do you mean by free dye? You may be on to something, so am curious to know.
Post Reply Post Reply

Hi rogertoll,
I would wash the headgear straps in cold water with a white vinegar rinse. Do this a few times.
Pat it dry, do not wring or twist.

Although, I’ve never heard of anyone else experience this, but I suppose dye from the straps could transfer to your pillowcase especially if you were perspiring or sleeping in a warmer environment.

Also check the pillowcase fabric. Some fabrics can be hotter to sleep with and may contribute to this.

Good Luck!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-18-2018, 08:46 AM)rogertoll Wrote: Thanks, but what do you mean by free dye? You may be on to something, so am curious to know.

By free dye I mean dye that hasn't been properly set in fabric, like the dye that transfers in the wash (and why I never wash new red clothes with whites). It would seem unlikely that the headgear dyes weren't set, but it is possible. So washing them to remove the the dye could help. But that is just some speculation on my part and the only thing I could think of.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had this problem with a chin strap, even after washing I still had problems, it is the dye coming out of it.
I hand washed it is soapy salted water and left it to soak, I have had no more problems, but I will be taking a bath towel with me when I am away in a hotel shortly, just in case as this is when it will happen again according to Murphy's law.
I think the dye was coming out when it reacted to sweat (we all sweat) but this is the wife's logic!
What is she trying to tell me?
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to all who responded. I will take the free dye advice and follow your combo recommendations. Sounds goosd to me!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have no problems since I washed the chin strap in salty water and washing powder.
Not a mark on the pillows.  I had washed this chin strap three times before I used salt.
It appeared to bind the dye.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 159 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,874 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Resmed P30i Nasal Pillow Fix cjtownsend1 1 267 02-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  CPAP pillow that works for forehead mount tube? marylee 7 453 02-04-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question [Equipment] N30i / P30i pillow attachment fail glomph 2 342 01-09-2024, 09:10 PM
Last Post: glomph
  CPAP LUNDBERG Pillow shoulder pain Roy289 2 396 12-26-2023, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Roy289
  My suggestion for help with nasal pillow irritation rebean 3 664 12-06-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.