Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Contec CMS-50F display change - problem?
Question 
Contec CMS-50F display change - problem?
I've used my CMS-50F almost every night for the last year and a half, but within the last week or so I've noticed that some display digits are changing color and just wondering if there's a problem.

On standby, with no sensor attached, it reads normally, with "Finger Out" in the display, two large blue bars where the SpO2 reading would be and three smaller green bars in the pulse section.  (There's also a little "34" in blue just to the left of the SpO2 area - what's that about?)

When in operation, the pulse number readout looks fine, but the SpO2 reading is always in yellow now, whereas I remember it being in blue when in the mid-to-high 90s and yellow only when low, maybe below 90 or so.

I download every day into SleepyHead along with my APAP data and the data looks fine; it's just the odd color change in the SpO2 reading.  Maybe it's just a display-driver hardware glitch, but I'm wondering if anybody's seen it, if it's a developing problem and if there's any way to reset/reboot the device to see if that helps.  I've checked the documentation, such as it is, as well as SpO2 Assistant to see if I can adjust/tweak and couldn't find anything.

Maybe it's no big deal, but thought I'd check with the experts. 

Thanks guys, and Happy New Year!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Contec CMS-50F display change - problem?
It seems that almost all OLED displays suffer from eventual dimming. My CMS50F became almost useless some time ago, and others have reported the same problem. I don't know what factors affect the life of an OLED display, but I don't envy the people with big OLED TVs.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm starting to think "hardware problem" too.  But it's not dimming, it's just always yellow.  Maybe the driver chip has decided to not make blue anymore, although it still shows blue bars in place of the numbers when no sensor is connected.

Otherwise, it's working so I soldier on with it, as a numbers geek I like to have the data.  Any idea what that little number to the lower-left of the SpO2 is?

Thanks.   Thumbs-up-2
Post Reply Post Reply
JimInPT, the little numbers next to the SpO2 reading are the Low SpO2 alarm setting. Mine says 85. You can change that value in one of the menu's.
I'm wondering if the yellow color means there is something wrong with the fingertip sensor maybe. Try cleaning the sensor with an alcohol swab and see if it does anything.

I noticed on the back of mine there is a tiny hole with the letters RST just above it. Presumably this is a reset button??? Not sure if it would help you
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am using a CMF50F and comparing it to a new pulse oximeter by Welleu, an O2 Ring. The data are not matching very well because the O2Ring uses a different scoring system and algorithms. I have had the CSM50F for at least five years. I am wondering if it is giving wrong data, because it often says I am having a lot of desats, while the newer device is giving me a better report card. Has anyone had trouble over time with the CMS pulse oximeter? The new O2 ring is so sweet and simple and just fits nicely on the finger. I am hoping it’s data is more accurate.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Daphnethecat!  -  Welcome

I have both the CMS50-I and F models.  As both have aged, they have lost screen luminance and data accuracy.  When they were new, both recorded within 1% of the medical office's oximeter.  Now they can be up to 5-6 points below a calibrated oximeter and usually are.  It appears that the finger probes degrade with age as well.  I've been wanting to try a Wellvue but I currently don't have a need to justify to the expense.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Crimson,
Thanks for the quick reply. I wrote to the Contec company about this and they quickly responded that they find the life of these to be 3 years. I am trying to wean off the CPAP via weight loss, sleep position, (on back is automatic apnea and snoring) and sinus medications. So I am concerned about getting an accurate reading. The Wellue ring is great; easy to slip on the finger, and a quick download onto my iPad via Bluetooth. I then put the scores on an excel sheet because I have had no success with getting sleepyhead working. 
My scores have been excellent most of the time , with sudden drops in O2 sat every ten days or so. The CMS was putting me in the low mild from 4.7-7) (with more hypopneas than apneas)  Range but the readings were very inconsistent. My daytime energy/alertness is great, my Epworth scale is now 1. 
   Do you think a person can control their apnea/hypopneas , in this manner? Or am I taking a risk?
This is the kind of data the Wellue givesSadthey suggest that the O2 score should be between 8-10)
[img]blob:http://www.apneaboard.com/d7ebd890-0640-4e67-aa38-e6b1266cbd16[/img]
Post Reply Post Reply
I've never heard of weaning off of CPAP therapy.  Weight loss can lead to a reduction of pressure but that's about it.  Your brand of CPAP can be used by OSCAR for sleep analysis.  The amount of detail of your sleep will depend on the model you have. I highly encourage you to download it and give it a try. If you find that your SpO2 levels are dropping during a hypopnea event, a slight adjustment to your pressure may solve this.

I don't understand the 4.7-7 range you are referencing.  Is this a desaturation level?   To let you know, a desaturation can be reported by just bumping the sensor.  Because of this I tend to look at the overall oxygen level and not a single point.  Using an auto CPAP, my SpO2 levels were averaging around 95% and now with a Bi-Level around 97%. (I had to brag!)  

Also, the upcoming version of OSCAR, v1.1.0-rc1, will provide the data loader for the Viatom (Wellvue) oximeters.  As I understand it, you will use the device's software to download its data to your PC prior to importing those files into OSCAR.   That way you can see what your other parameters are if you encounter a desaturation.

Good luck!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 3 217 04-15-2024, 09:01 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Oscar 1.4.0 software time change keithy62 2 114 04-12-2024, 05:14 AM
Last Post: keithy62
  ResMed Humidifier Tub Change? Reesche 12 353 04-09-2024, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Reesche
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 319 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,936 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,924 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,865 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.