Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask type for active side sleepers
Mask type for active side sleepers
Hi all

I'm looking for some advice on mask types. I am a side sleeper who tosses and turns a bit so was wondering what is the best mask type in this scenario - ffm, nasal or pillows?

I use the Dreamwear currently but this can be prone to leaks whilst side sleeping.

I've heard some recommendations that nasal is best for active sleepers but others recommend pillows. I appreciate it is whatever works for you but I'm wondering if nasal may be a bit more "secure" for those who move around a lot. I like to bury my head into the pillow a little so pillows are easy to dislodge.

Thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask type for active side sleepers
The mask is so individual. I am new since a week to using a cpap an have now to different mask that I am testing. The resmed n20 and f&p eson 2. The eson 2 i have just used 1 night, and it felt better than the n20. I do move around and sleeps on the side. The pillow sure does a difference.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a ResMed Quattro Air which does well as I sleep on my side about 70% of the time.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2016, 08:28 AM)marcus10 Wrote: Hi all

I'm looking for some advice on mask types. I am a side sleeper who tosses and turns a bit so was wondering what is the best mask type in this scenario - ffm, nasal or pillows?

I use the Dreamwear currently but this can be prone to leaks whilst side sleeping.

I've heard some recommendations that nasal is best for active sleepers but others recommend pillows. I appreciate it is whatever works for you but I'm wondering if nasal may be a bit more "secure" for those who move around a lot. I like to bury my head into the pillow a little so pillows are easy to dislodge.

Thoughts?

Marcus10,

Let me just say that I'm also fairly new to this, but I started out with the Dreamwear mask and had very similar issues as a side sleeper. Its as if the rubber material on the side of the mask grabs the pillowcase and slips just enough to cause leaks. I also had leaks with that mask and was unable to improve them enough to continue use of that mask. I also had some discomfort with the hose mount on top of my head.

I have since switched to the Amara View by the same company for the past month or so and have had great success. It's technically a FFM, but it's a lot more comfortable and once adjusted I've had next to zero leaks. Just make sure you get properly fitted for it because that makes a big difference regarding leaks.

Hope this helps!
CaseyF
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Organize Your SleepyHead Charts
Attach SleepyHead ScreenShots
Beginner's Guide To SleepyHead: By RobySue

Disclaimer: INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nasal pillows will give most people fewer problems side sleeping than anything else. After that, it depends on how well the mask fits you. After that, nasal masks (the ones that go over the nose only). I do think your environment plays in here sometimes as well. I have NO PROBLEMS with the Elan mask in the winter, but from Spring to summer, it leaks a lot more (not a lot mind you, but more than I like). However, nothing beats the Circadian masks if you have swollen sinus' and can't stand a FFM.
Post Reply Post Reply

Me too, been using Activa LT nasal mask for over 5 years, great mask, cheap, durable and I'll be lost without it
Mask is something personal, no two people are alike, what works for one isn't necessary work the same way to someone else

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi marcus10,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with finding a mask and also with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
ESON. I have Dreamwear and if I could keep the back strap on without tying my hair in a ponytail I'd use it.
It does leak a little sidesleeping at times but if the darn headstrao worked I'd love it.
Alas it doesn't.
ESON is your answer.
Post Reply Post Reply

Thoughts?

Similar sleeping habits as you. I've used the Dreamweaver but also had trouble with leaks. I currently use the Resmed P10. It is by far the most comfortable and leak free mask I've ever used. Other masks I've had to wake up a bit and adjust when I role over, this one I never have to.

Post Reply Post Reply
Only sleep on my sides, will turn over a couple times a night to switch sides.
P10 is absolutely worth the large quantity of excellent reviews it receives.

Scored by the users to very near a '5 star' rating.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earplugs for side sleepers? cps22 17 403 03-22-2024, 07:15 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 981 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 437 03-18-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 247 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Thumbsup Side sleep enforcer for positional apnea G. Szabo 0 257 02-26-2024, 05:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 397 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Mask Type Setting Mpadgett714 1 512 12-11-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: gainerfull

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.