Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask type on Philips Dream Station
Mask type on Philips Dream Station
I have a Philips Dream Station auto cpap.   If l am using a Resmed Air Touch F20 do l leave the mask type at 0 on the machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask type on Philips Dream Station
I believe that's the correct setting with the ResMed mask. Welcome to the Apnea Board.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-04-2020, 04:22 PM)Brit2020 Wrote: I have a Philips Dream Station auto cpap.   If l am using a Resmed Air Touch F20 do l leave the mask type at 0 on the machine?
No, that is not the correct setting for ANY mask unless you just put the end of the hose directly in your mouth. The Respironics manual does recommend X0 for non-Respironics masks, but that is just to absolve themselves of responsibility.

For an F20, I suggest X1.

The mask type setting helps the machine compensate for the flow-dependent pressure drop of the mask. While the F20 cushion provides little restriction of course, there is still restriction in the elbow.

The mask setting has little effect when there is no airflow. It determines how the machine adjusts to maintain pressure as the flow rate changes.

If the mask setting is too low, you may feel the mask suck in toward your face when you inhale, especially if you take a deep breath, and push out when you exhale. It can also feel like breathing through a straw.

If the setting is too high, you feel feel a whoosh as you inhale. To see what I mean, you can try X5 just as an experiment. Don’t actually use that for sleeping though - it’s too much for just about any mask.

With the mask type set correctly, the mask won’t move much as you inhale and exhale, even breathing deeply.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, so would this setting apply to all non dreamwear mssks?  If not how do you know what settings?
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2020, 12:48 AM)Brit2020 Wrote: Thank you, so would this setting apply to all non dreamwear mssks?  If not how do you know what settings?
There is no legitimate all mask setting. X1 is a reasonable starting point. From there, see my descriptions above. Some pillow masks MIGHT need X2, at least in the smallest size. If using a Z1 HME with an F20, I use X3.

Really, the best way to understand the effect of the mask setting is to just try the different settings during the day, and note what is feels like as you breathe a little heavily.

Personally, I find it very difficult to sleep with an F20 on X0. It sucks in when I inhale, pushes out when exhale, and sometimes the anti-asphyxiation valve pops. On X1, it is much more stable and quiet.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 55 4,878 11 hours ago
Last Post: btreger
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 10 1,199 Yesterday, 01:14 PM
Last Post: freakyfrog
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,963 359,201 04-12-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: btreger
  ResMed mask settings - what changes in each type? skypony 9 16,887 04-03-2024, 12:04 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 184 29,823 04-01-2024, 12:26 PM
Last Post: RayBee
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,890 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 474 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.