Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask venting air flow over eyes all night long
Mask venting air flow over eyes all night long
Anyone else have problems with this? I gave up on a mask I could have lived with otherwise due to this issue. Have a pre-existing eye problem that this exacerbated greatly. I see people report it as an issue at times--but it's often impossible to find out where the vents are placed in masks until you hold them in your hands and look right at them. Really rather go with a hybrid or very small mask rather than a full face one that fits over the whole nose--but what the DME handed me as a replacement was a full face model that is taking some time to get used to.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask venting air flow over eyes all night long
All masks have exhaust vents. Some of them have more diffuse exhaust flows that others. Two masks that I'm very familiar with that have diffuse exhaust flows are the Resmed AirFit P10 nasal pillows mask and the F&P Eson nasal mask---if you use the optional filter on the exhaust port.

Another choice is to use an eye mask of some sort to cover the eyes. That's usually enough to keep the airflow from hitting the eyes.
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree that this is a terrible problem for someone with eye problems. I have chronic dry eye and use Restasis for it, but I still can't tolerate a mask sending any air towards my eyes.

I just started using xPAP therapy in the winter. The first mask I tried, a nasal mask called "Pico", vented its exhaust straight at my eyes and my mouth. What a terrible design!

I have a Wisp nasal mask now. It vents to the side. It usually doesn't bother my eyes at all unless it leaks, which it did a couple of nights ago, causing me to wake up with my eyes feeling like those little pickled white cocktail onions.

The mask is leaking now because it's time to replace its nasal cushion, which I'll be doing as soon as the one I ordered arrives. I have been using it for two months and it has been fine.

An eye mask can be a good solution if you can get one to fit well enough to protect your eyes at the bottom. I have not been able to do that with the two nasal masks I have tried so far (Pico and Wisp).

I plan to try a nasal pillows design next and I imagine I'll be dealing with the same issue, but I'm hoping there will be room for the eye mask to fit properly with nasal pillows.

Post Reply Post Reply
Is it venting air or leaking air? Two different things. Venting air is what we mean when air leaves the mask on purpose as it is designed. Leaks are just that, air leaking from the mask between your skin and the mask.

If the mask is leaking at the top of your nose, blowing into your eyes, there are a few things you can do to lessen or eliminate that. This is a common problem with full face masks. You can try a liner such as the Remzzz liners or the Gecko. You can try to nestle the mask lower on your face. The Simplus, the mask I use, prefers to sit this way.

You can also use gel eye drops at night to prevent your eyes from drying out. That's what I do. I've seen more lubricating eye drops advertised as being "for night use" because of how they absorb into and coat the eye.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the replies. I initially had some leaks and was able to mostly eliminate those, so the problem is venting. The venting on that model is not great for this at all--not many vent holes and they are on top of the mask, pointing straight up--so the air flow through them is fairly fast and it washes right in front of the eyes.

I may have an alternate solution though. I liked the small size and feel of the mask I had, but the DME gave me a new mask, Redmed Airfit F10 I think--to try. It's a full face mask, with many vent holes in a circle around the hose attachment location. So far I think it's no longer a problem--the flow out the vents is more diffuse and not as strong, and it heads out away from me rather than up my face across my eyes.

I had looked into a mask but 1) noticed that some of the suppliers used to carry several brands and carry none anymore--and one of those brands has an infomercial out there for them (the kind used to hawk products with suspect effectiveness or value), and 2) had some suspicions verified by talking to an opthamologist. They don't particularly like masks. Suggested I use some drops, which are thick and make the eyes fill like they have gel under the lids. Probably the same thing you were mentioning, Paula. Not really keen on those but I might give them a try anyway as they told me it helps some people with their dry eye issues. I have tried thicker drops during the day, but they drive me nuts--at night when my eyes are closed I can probably get used to them.

FWIW I have dry eyes after Lasik surgery--one of the common side effects of that surgery that a high % of people suffer from.

Thanks again for all the replies. When I am authorized i will add some to the review of the mask I started with that has the vent problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-31-2016, 07:20 AM)dawoodsman Wrote: Anyone else have problems with this? I gave up on a mask I could have lived with otherwise due to this issue. Have a pre-existing eye problem that this exacerbated greatly. I see people report it as an issue at times--but it's often impossible to find out where the vents are placed in masks until you hold them in your hands and look right at them. Really rather go with a hybrid or very small mask rather than a full face one that fits over the whole nose--but what the DME handed me as a replacement was a full face model that is taking some time to get used to.
I think they hand everybody a full face mask, they tried to hand me one and I promptly told them I don't use that kind (I think they get them free from the distributors, so that's what they hand out) Explain your issue, and they may try to get you what you feel comfortable with (IF they have some in stock) and you can look at different web sites, or cpap stores and look at what is on the market, & ask what your insurance is willing to help you with, or if they have suggestions to help you (that's what they are there for) It takes time to find what works best for you, trial & error ....
I enjoy being with a group who like to share their "Hosehead" experiences, to remind me I am not alone.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am assuming that your earlier FFM was a mask with a forehead anchor. Depending on facial geometry, those masks may leave some space at the top against the top of the nose and its hard to keep air from leaking and shooting in the eyes. I had the same issue with resmed Quattro air.

But the F10 has 2 top anchors that lie on the cheeks and it's fairly easy to tighten the top two a bit more than the bottom two. This ensures no leaking from the top of the mask.

Also, you can use mask liners cut from an old t shirt.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the F10 and leaks around the nose were an initial problem. I use two items to eliminate most leaks into my eyes. I tried Remzzz liners which worked ok but the Silent Night liners that last a week (same outlandish cost) worked far better. The liner in addition to a gel nose pad worked very well. I tried the Gecko gel nose pad but found one on Amazon for less money(< $9). Just started use so no history on it.

Contrary to PaulaO2's experience, I find the F10 works best if it rides higher on the nose than the maker recommends - different faces, different mask, different positions. Try different positions on the nose. Try different tensions on the upper straps - not too tight. I took several weeks to fine the best combination. Mark the straps so you can reset to same position and try to adjust the same on each side initially. I found if I put tension on the upper arm on the leaking side with my finger that the leak stopped - then adjust strap tension on that side slightly. All adjustment in moderation and do not make too many at once as you lose track of what reduced the leaks.

The Remzzz liner just sits on the mask and would bother my eyes, the Silent Night liners stick on the mask. Put them on the cushion portion then snap into the frame. I can control the excess material on the Silent Night to not bother my eyes, in fact, it seems to help direct air away from my eyes.

For me the gel pad is to protect the bridge of the nose. Even thought the upper straps are not tight I find that there is an irritation on the bridge of my nose - did not develop for several weeks usage - got worse with each use. It does seem to help to prevent leaks around the nose also. I tried band aid - Ok. Tried "moleskin" that works better but it is hard to remove. Gel pad worked best but harder to keep in place.

I also use a Ruby chin strap (Amazon) which I put on first (thanks to advice on this forum). It not only helps prevent dry mouth but holds the F10 straps in place when I shift postion. F10 straps do not pull the mask around when put on over the Ruby chin strap.

Wash the face well. I use a towelette from Costco that my wife uses to remove makeup. Some on the forum recommend baby wipes. Liners work best if you remove oil from the skin. Dry well.

Experiment with everything, liners, gel pad, strap tension, chin strap, etc. Give each new configuration time and see what works. My leaks are fairly steady at ~10 L/min 95%, even at my min pressure of 15 cm.

It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop. --Confucius
Post Reply Post Reply
Good morning and Happy Holidays.  I thank you all for your feedback.

I have had this issue of the mask exhaust over the eyes. since getting the device 18 months ago.  Of course the eye doctor and allergist were right on top of addressing the symptom; however, dry eye itself is not the cause for me.  It is coming from machine use.

While mask leaks are sometimes an issue, for me the exhaust ports are the consistent problem.  Since the issue is with respect to the mask orientation to the face (air from the nose bridge direction of the F20 Medium cushion), the ports configuration of the mask-to-hose adapter cannot solve it.  ResMed or whomever supplies the F20 for them, must add a deflecting ridge on the F20 itself in order to redirect the exhaust headed for the eye, so that it goes anywhere else.  It will be something I discuss with my equipment supplier in January, when they usually refill my prescription supplies.  My allergy shots (I and Maryland apparently do not get along) now exacerbate the issue.

For now I place about 1" of duct tape, folded over the long way (1/3 adhesive exposed and 1/3 folded into the remaining 1/3) and attach that to the F20 plastic frame near the exhaust ports on the side toward the nose/eyes.  That seems to help for a week or so, but is not perfect.  Since the tape is flexible, it often gets beaten down and must be straightened or replaced at each use.  Luckily duct tape is cheap.  A better solution would be for the F20 to have a formed ridge in the same location.  That addition would NOT be flexible and therefore would not suffer deformation for the life of the cushion.

I have attempted to use eye covering; both regular fabric eye masks and what look like swimmer's goggles.  The former can interfere with the mask to face seal and the latter can move in the eye wall area during the night and make things worse.  I have gone some nights without the CPAP just to isolate the issues and I find the eye irritation follows the CPAP device.  However the benefits of using the machine greatly outweigh the eye drops I need to use to address the resulting problems.

If it is helpful I could post some pictures; however, I am more interested in what the supplier has to say, since this is what I pay them to do.  I can post any wisdom they provide as a result of the conversation.

Otherwise I have nothing but praise for the CPAP technology and the RedMed Airsense as a device.  I picked up a travel unit for work and personal travel, since packing the main unit all the time seems a great deal of risk to the benefit it provides me.

Take care, God bless and I wish you a happy New Year.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've also experienced this issue off and on.  Sometimes it's not just the mask design, but how we sleep.  Also, the air stream from the mask vent can hit your pillow or blanket in a way that it is then directed toward your eyes.  

Using an eye mask has helped me.  I found out after a few tries that a mask with a Convex shape works best. (where the part that goes over the eye curves outward).  
A mask that lays on top of the eye will not be comfortable.  

Also, and very important is to use an Eye Ointment before bed.  Regular eye drops help, but won't be as effective as the ointment.

I use Systane Eye products (recommended by my eye doctor.)

Systane eye ointment for nighttime and Systane Complete for daytime.  I have no vested interest in this product... it just works!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 0 22 1 hour ago
Last Post: emile.leplattenier
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 0 25 2 hours ago
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  What is that spike in Flow limit? urachan 7 448 03-16-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: urachan
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 5 141 03-16-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
  Help with spotting flow rate RERA's apnea505 3 141 03-14-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: apnea505
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 8 131 03-14-2024, 01:15 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Question Flow LIMIT data missing tried to search forum Plmnb 16 233 03-10-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Plmnb

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.