Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask vs. Nasal Pillows? How do you know what to use?
Mask vs. Nasal Pillows? How do you know what to use?
How do you know which one to use? DME came out with nasal pillows, why do they assume that is what you need? Its only been a few days but the pillows annoy me. Should I try a mask? If so which kind? Do I just need to give it more time? I just want to get used to this and feel it working!!! I am so tired of being tired!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask vs. Nasal Pillows? How do you know what to use?
I think its like shoes it doesn't take long before you know it what mask works best for you. By all means if not happy with pillows try nasal masks as you can return the mask back to the DME if didn't work for you within 30 days and get another one.
Everybody different, I didn't liked nasal pillows and full face masks don,t like me but few trials and error ended up with the Activa LT nasal mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sometimes DMEs will try to second guess what they think is best for the patient. ie: female patients perhaps cater to lighter, less intrusive masks, due to having to deal every morning with a bad hair day. Bigger males require a more sturdy device. They really are guessing for their client.

Not only are you dealing with the comfort or cosmetic issue, but your main concern is coping with leaks. Not only are they a aggravation issue but one (if large enough) that decreases the proper administered pressure needed tp inhibit your apneas.

Everyones facial features are different and therefor "one size fits all" is certainly not going to work. As Zonk as stated, returns can be made within a qualified time, so try as many as possible to get a good fit. Leaking is your main concern for the therapy to work. Comfort is next, as without the comfort, you are not going to be compliant. Comfort is usually overcome with continued usage, whereas leakage will not change with time.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
I am finding that the pillows are irritating my nostrils, not really painful, just annoying me.
Any advice?
Post Reply Post Reply
May be the DME get most discounts from this brand of nasal pillows. Some use dab of that cream (sorry the name isn't coming to me at the moment, may be someone can chime in with name/brand) used by breast feeding mothers and of course nothing but the best for SS extra v. olive oil. imo everybody should go home with mix of different types/sizes of masks bc you need to have a back up to use if mask irritating or when you have a cold and need to use full face mask on this occasion.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2012, 12:59 PM)zonk Wrote: Some use dab of that cream (sorry the name isn't coming to me at the moment, may be someone can chime in with name/brand) used by breast feeding mothers

I believe you're referring to a product called Lansinoh which is 100% natural and the world's purest form of lanolin according to their website.

We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know why they would assume nasal pillows. I use a total face mask because I'm a mouth breather and it's comfortable.
Good luck. I hope you get more energy back soon. Hang in there, though, it doesn't often happen overnight.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nasal pillows are recommended the most for people who sleep predominantly on their side. There's usually no bulky interface protruding to be pushed by the mask.

Irritation is common and usually fixable. Try the cream mentioned.

The mask is probably the most important bit of the process and probably the #1 reason why most people give up.

Ask the supplier to let you try another mask. Either another nasal pillow or a nasal mask. Ask what their trial period is.

Do not settle! Keep trying until you find one that works for you.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Do they reuse the masks and pillows? If I call are they going to take my nasal pillows away? I sleep on my stomach, not sure which would be best for that?
Post Reply Post Reply
Then you are going to be really limited as a stomach sleeper. This is probably why they gave you nasal pillows.

And yes, when you switch to a different mask to try, they usually take back the others. It depends on the return policy of the manufacturer and the sterile-ability.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,763 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 98 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 318 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,077 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,224 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 389 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 396 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.