Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask wipes and replacement mask cost
Mask wipes and replacement mask cost
FIRST:
Looked through this main section for several pages, but did not see anything pertaining to mask wipes.  My Resmed mask cautions to use non alcohol and non detergent wipe to clean foam edge to prevent deterioration.

(FYI, air touch mask seems to be working I had AHI of 1.4 this morning!!)

Picked up a canister of 62 mask wipes for $12.  ($0.193 each) where I got my new air touch mask .  Ingredients were pure filtered water,  sodium Benzoate  preservative and some scent.

Stopped at Walgreen where wife, while looking for something else, found box of 60 baby wipes using double filtered water and 0.1% grapfruit scent for $4.50 ($0.075 each).   Unless I read otherwise from the wise ones here, I will be buying the Walgreen brand.  H2O is H2O and 12 cents is 12 cents saved per wipe.

But thinking this further, I could just soak a tissue from my reverse osmosis filtered water tap and wipe the foam edge and save alot of money.

SECOND:
I was researching replacement cost of new resmed air touch foam mask mask, found one supplier who shall remain nameless but obviously hasn't thought things through financially.
My mask foam edge is supposed to be replaced every 30 days.  This supplier sells the replacement for $59 but you can pay just $2.72 a month to pay it off.  My poor math tells me it will take 22 months to pay this off.  But, you need another new one 30 days later, so tack on another $2.72 to the bill.  Sounds almost like pyramid loan sharking (wonder if Fedora hatted big Louie pays you a midnight visit to snatch away your mask Too-funny ).
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask wipes and replacement mask cost
(07-05-2017, 02:06 PM)CPAPreturnee Wrote: Picked up a canister of 62 mask wipes for $12.  ($0.193 each) where I got my new air touch mask .  Ingredients were pure filtered water,  sodium Benzoate  preservative and some scent.

Stopped at Walgreen where wife, while looking for something else, found box of 60 baby wipes using double filtered water and 0.1% grapfruit scent for $4.50 ($0.075 each).   Unless I read otherwise from the wise ones here, I will be buying the Walgreen brand.  H2O is H2O and 12 cents is 12 cents saved per wipe.

But thinking this further, I could just soak a tissue from my reverse osmosis filtered water tap and wipe the foam edge and save alot of money.

Many baby wipes are saturated with emollients and other chemicals to prevent diaper rash. As long as you are using a rather plain wipe, there should be few problems. My canister of wipes carries a warning about getting it in your eyes, so it might not be all that benign (or they are covering their ass). As for water, it always works for me, especially with a few drops of a mild detergent. The mask wipes in the canister seem like such a rip-off.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried wipes for two nights. I could not take the smell that close to my nose. Even using it in the morning and letting it air out, the smell was still there. While it smells one way when sitting in the container, it is a totally different smell when pressed against your nose.

And if a wipe only has water and mild soap and stink in it, why use it? Why not a wash cloth?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I think you are supposed to use ones that have NOT previously been used on a baby!   Too-funny

Dishwashing soap and warm water works for me and as I have noted before I have greasy skin.  I see no need to spend money on fancy wipes.
Post Reply Post Reply
I got the same unscented mask wipes (62/container) from Supplier #1 for free when I bought a mask a couple years ago...I still have them. Like chill, I use Dawn dish soap to do any cleaning. I don't think there is any problem with the baby wipes you got, but I also think it is unnecessary when simple occasional washing will do better.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-05-2017, 02:06 PM)CPAPreturnee Wrote: FIRST:
Looked through this main section for several pages, but did not see anything pertaining to mask wipes.  My Resmed mask cautions to use non alcohol and non detergent wipe to clean foam edge to prevent deterioration.

(FYI, air touch mask seems to be working I had AHI of 1.4 this morning!!)

Picked up a canister of 62 mask wipes for $12.  ($0.193 each) where I got my new air touch mask .  Ingredients were pure filtered water,  sodium Benzoate  preservative and some scent.

Yup! I just use a partially damp Kleenex tissue on one end to remove any oils on my nasal cushion and the other end to dry it. Full face mask might need a full tissue, and that's about it. 

Thereafter the regular weekly wash with dish liquid soap.
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I was told on another site to use Pampers Natural Clean baby wipes.  They have no alcohol and no aloe.  I picked up a pack at the ShopRite the other day.  They were on sale for $1.49 for 64 wipes.  Big difference from paying $10.00 + for cpap wipes.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thumbsup 
(07-06-2017, 12:12 PM)NadiaK Wrote: I was told on another site to use Pampers Natural Clean baby wipes.  They have no alcohol and no aloe.  I picked up a pack at the ShopRite the other day.  They were on sale for $1.49 for 64 wipes.  Big difference from paying $10.00 + for cpap wipes.

Outstanding! Thanks
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
I use some plain baby wipes for my airfit f20 and Mirage quattro and it always works well. I sometimes wash the masks with warm water and soap and that works too. CPAP wipes are way too expensive for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-06-2017, 12:12 PM)NadiaK Wrote: I was told on another site to use Pampers Natural Clean baby wipes.  They have no alcohol and no aloe.  I picked up a pack at the ShopRite the other day.  They were on sale for $1.49 for 64 wipes.  Big difference from paying $10.00 + for cpap wipes.

Thanks for the suggestion. This seems like a great alternative.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you know when to replace a mask? Lanners 1 86 03-26-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,057 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,569 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 99 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 142 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 120 03-17-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,824 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.