Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Masks
Masks
Masks

Hi All, just thought I would share my experiences with the use of the three main masks. I have tried them all over a period of 15 plus years.
My initial mask was the full nasal mask - covering the entire nose including the nostrils but not the mouth. This was a great mask however after using for quite some time  I noticed the mask would leak most probably because of my tossing and turning. 

I followed this with the full face mask covering the nose and the mouth, I found this mask to be most uncomfortable and that it consistently leaked with the slightest turn of my head the mask would break it's seal against my face very annoying it was also very bulky.

My third choice was the nasal pillows which is a very simple little unit where the cushions sit neatly into your nostrils, however after using for a while my nostrils became very sore and sensitive. I returned to my nasal mask but soon realised just how uncomfortable it was to use,
I again began using the nasal cushion however this time I placed a small amount of facial cream into my nostrils in an effort to alleviate the resulting soreness. I was amazed with the results I have now been using this cushion mask full time and have found it to be the most suitable and easiest of all the choices. They are extremely light weight and have the least impact on your sleeping pattern I find they remain in place even with my tossing and turning on occasions the top strap may slip more towards the crown of your head and a small leak may occur very simple fix by simply moving this strap towards the very rear of your head placing slightly more tension on the seal.

I hope this thread may be of assistance to those of you trying to determine the most suitable mask to select.

Regards and happy sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Masks
Thanks mainworry,

I've always felt that as long as you're not a mouth breather, then starting with the most minimalistic mask like nasal pillows will give you more of a chance of adapting to therapy.

If that doesn't work out, then move up to a nasal mask, and lastly a full face.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 345 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 219 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 410 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Other masks to try? acordeon 5 496 01-01-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Equipment] 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working Tiredkiwi 5 492 12-30-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Why different pressures with different masks Dawei 6 423 12-29-2023, 03:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Resmed masks with magnets and coronary stents stillaliveca 0 455 12-19-2023, 10:12 PM
Last Post: stillaliveca

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.