Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Masks and AHI
Masks and AHI
Just curious, can masks make a difference with AHI? I went from DreamWear to a ResMed N30i and both have a perfect fit and I checked OSCAR and the leaks are minimal on both and most other numbers are close except for my AHI! I've noticed this after time not just one night! Can anyone clue me in to why this might be! I was thinking that my machine is recording false AHI's with the new mask or not all of them with the old mask but not sure if that can happen or why it would! Thanks in advance for any insight you can give me!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Masks and AHI
ha look at my title...  same mask to.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...light=mask
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
Only one data point from only one night... I've just started a week's trial of the Evora mask after using a Wisp for ages. With the Wisp, my AHI was usually around 3 to 4. Last night with the Evora it was 1.8. I didn't have it adjusted proerly until the middle of the night, so my leaks were high, which might have disrupted the sensing. Time will tell... I woke up feeling better than I have in a while.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Masks absolutely make a difference. It made a considerable difference for me.

Based on responses here, I can tell it's individual how each person responds to different masks.

My CA went down considerably with nasal mask. I use Wisp since it causes neligible leaks compared to N20, somebody may differ from me. So, it's worthwhile trying out various masks to see which masks works best for you.

My experience is different from Pholynyk, I had success with Wisp. So, it's individual.

With nasal masks, my AHI is less than .5 usually, and I wore full face mask for majority of the year not knowing that was possible. My CA was usually .2 - 2 with full face mask, but with nasal, it dropped significantly and stays within low range.

Just because a group thinks certain mask works well, don't think that mask would be best for you. It's best to do your research and try masks yoursslf.

I've thought about the machine maybe making false reading, but doean't seem likely if flow rate is accurate. Be aause the machine flags events based on the flow rate. That's what I wonder. Is it possible for the machine to read flow rates falsely with a different mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2021, 09:25 AM)pholynyk Wrote:  With the Wisp, my AHI was usually around 3 to 4.
Yikes.

Glad the Evora is helping.
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 345 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 219 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 410 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Other masks to try? acordeon 5 495 01-01-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Equipment] 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working Tiredkiwi 5 492 12-30-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Why different pressures with different masks Dawei 6 423 12-29-2023, 03:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Resmed masks with magnets and coronary stents stillaliveca 0 454 12-19-2023, 10:12 PM
Last Post: stillaliveca

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.