Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Masks, mouth-breathing
RE: Masks, mouth-breathing
I have been using 3M's Nexcare surgical water-resistant tape available at drug stores everywhere.  I haven't had any eruptions or obvious dermal distress due to the adhesives they use.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2019, 12:38 PM)mesenteria Wrote: I have been using 3M's Nexcare surgical water-resistant tape available at drug stores everywhere.  I haven't had any eruptions or obvious dermal distress due to the adhesives they use.

Thanks. I just visited my local drugstore, which had a number of 3M Nexcare tapes. I bought a roll of tan-colored 1 1/2" "absolute waterproof tape" which is rated "medium hold" on their chart on the package's back. The Nexcare line carried in the store also included a 1" "flexible clear tape" and a 2" "gentle paper tape," both of which were also rated "medium hold." I noticed on the package for the paper tape that it was marked "for frequent changes -- 24-hour hold, non-irritating" and also "Hospital Name: 3M Micropore Surgical Tape." Hmm, so that particular one sounds like what I've already been trying.

Is the usual thing to cut the tape pretty short just to cover the lip area? I was using ~7" long strips of Micropore tape, on the theory that I wanted to make sure the mouth stayed closed. (Or maybe I've watched too many movies where kidnap victims get their mouths taped shut.) Maybe I should keep the tape shorter.

I also ordered an Amara View mask today, so we'll see how that works out.
Post Reply Post Reply
shorter tape. your jaw is just about the strongest muscle you have.  It will rip off pretty much any tape it really wants too.  I form it so you could see my lips shape. it is more taping the lips than taping the mouth. Its purpose is to keep air in, not your mouth shut.  Many say to keep a tab on the end for easy removal.
Post Reply Post Reply
Try the Dreamwear Full Face Mask. It does not cover your nose but sits right under your nostrils.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2019, 06:06 PM)Dyssomniac Wrote: ...Is the usual thing to cut the tape pretty short just to cover the lip area? I was using ~7" long strips of Micropore tape, on the theory that I wanted to make sure the mouth stayed closed. (Or maybe I've watched too many movies where kidnap victims get their mouths taped shut.) Maybe I should keep the tape shorter...

We might find it differently, but I will explain my method and what has been reliable for me:

I tear off enough that both ends extend approximately 1/2" past either corner of my mouth.  

However, I fold over one end so that there is a non-stuck tab approximately 1/8" which I can easily take hold of and use to peel the tape off.  I found this handy trick the hard way; I awoke only once to find both nostrils stuffed up and me clawing at my face.  The next night, I had a tab in place.   Don't worry, this has yet to be repeated...it seems to be a rare experience.

So, firstly, I make sure my mouth surface is clean.  No oils, food, schmutz...whatever, and in my case that my face is clean-shaven, or nearly so.

I purse my lips somewhat to seal them, but also puff out my cheeks because at some point that is what the tape will have to seal.  I apply the tape so that its upper edge just covers the top of the upper lips, leaving the bulk of the tape to cover the lips and below the lower ones.  So, the tape's upper edge is about 1/8" above the rim of the upper lips, while the lower edge would, in my case, stick about 1/4" below the rim of my lower lips.  This might sound complicated, but it's what works, and it's automatic.

Now, an important step;  press the entire surface of the tape firmly.  Go over it again.  Now, with any luck, this tape will provide a good and reliable seal until you remove it.  Remember which side the tab is on.

Apart from the tab tip, you had best experiment over the next few days.  Shorter is not going to be better, so don't cheap out on the tape.  It must extend for almost half an inch beyond the edges of the lips.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2019, 06:06 PM)Dyssomniac Wrote: ...Is the usual thing to cut the tape pretty short just to cover the lip area? I was using ~7" long strips of Micropore tape, on the theory that I wanted to make sure the mouth stayed closed. (Or maybe I've watched too many movies where kidnap victims get their mouths taped shut.) Maybe I should keep the tape shorter...

We might find it differently, but I will explain my method and what has been reliable for me:

I tear off enough that both ends extend approximately 1/2" past either corner of my mouth.  

However, I fold over one end so that there is a non-stuck tab approximately 1/8" which I can easily take hold of and use to peel the tape off.  I found this handy trick the hard way; I awoke only once to find both nostrils stuffed up and me clawing at my face.  The next night, I had a tab in place.   Don't worry, this has yet to be repeated...it seems to be a rare experience.

So, firstly, I make sure my mouth surface is clean.  No oils, food, schmutz...whatever, and in my case that my face is clean-shaven, or nearly so.

I purse my lips somewhat to seal them, but also puff out my cheeks because at some point that is what the tape will have to seal.  I apply the tape so that its upper edge just covers the top of the upper lips, leaving the bulk of the tape to cover the lips and below the lower ones.  So, the tape's upper edge is about 1/8" above the rim of the upper lips, while the lower edge would, in my case, stick about 1/4" below the rim of my lower lips.  This might sound complicated, but it's what works, and it's automatic.

Now, an important step;  press the entire surface of the tape firmly.  Go over it again.  Now, with any luck, this tape will provide a good and reliable seal until you remove it.  Remember which side the tab is on.

Apart from the tab tip, you had best experiment over the next few days.  Shorter is not going to be better, so don't cheap out on the tape.  It must extend for almost half an inch beyond the edges of the lips.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wink 
Hi Guys, having had Apnoea for twenty odd years, I have and probably always be a Mouth Breather, on several occasions I have actually chewed through the seal of a full face mask. Currently, I use an F20 Mask and a Resmed Chinstrap, it works most of the time, but even with a Humidifier, I still get a very dry mouth, teeth and throat. I have been pondering with the idea of a 'Hard Stop' that protrudes from the bottom of the Mask and sits under the chin might be beneficial, it would prevent the mask 'Riding up' and might help a few of us, obviously, this would not stop Mouth Breathing within the mask and probably wouldn't work for me either, just a thought, has anybody tried a Gumshield with a mask? Podd
Post Reply Post Reply
bonjour, how do you manage to use tape with a beard? I assume there's a mustache under that mask in your pic. I can't tape to save my life. I can only get it to stick right in the horizontal center of my lips. otherwise it barely sticks to whiskers and even if it did stick, it would leak between skin and whiskers.
Post Reply Post Reply
when I tape I tape on the lips, not my stash or beard.  The goal is to stop air from passing the lips, not to keep the mouth shut.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a mouth-breather and I started SA therapy with an AirFit F20. It worked out pretty good, but I was curious about the AirFit F30. 

I've been using it now for almost a month or so I think. I like it a tad bit better than the F20. I'm pretty sure that between the two masks, I'm gonna be good to go.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hybrid Masks more comfortable than over the nose FF mask? sleepingbetterinFl 1 41 4 hours ago
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 2 105 Yesterday, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Hurdsy
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 12 169 Yesterday, 05:19 PM
Last Post: jake79
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 102 2,563 04-16-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 291 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 109 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa. G. Szabo 14 352 04-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.