Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Masks
Masks
When I first started CPAP therapy, I was not shown a variety of masks and I had no clue that there were many choices. I was given one that caused me grief for almost 2 years until they gave me the right size mask. There has never been a reciprocal love affair between the 2 of us! The mask isn't flexible at all and I think this is what caused me to be a back sleeper when my preference was to sleep on my side.

That being said, I would like to know how many of you were shown a variety of masks when you started CPAP therapy. Also, did the DME let you try them on, lay down with them if you wanted to (I saw someone posted that their DME had a recliner chair for them to sit in).

Have a great weekend everyone.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Masks
Not really, I could've tried some on when I did my titration study but decided not to. Since I seemed to handle the pillows okay for the short time I was asleep, I was given those. Didn't work out that well and I had to go back and do a lot more research.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi me50,
When I first started with CPAP, I wasn't shown a variety of mask at either of my sleep studies ore the DME.
Since I don't drive, (Ha-Ha-Ha, obviously,)I didn't go to the DME office, they came out to my house. I started with a Respironics Comfort jell nasal mask. When It came time for me to get a new mask, I would sometimes ask to try a different one.
You have a great weekend too.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I think i have 10 different masks including the one they gave me after the sleep study, which i never liked. My favorites have been the SleepWeaver line and on called no mask, which is a molded mouthpiece holding a small nasal mask with no headgear at all.
My first DME did spend some time with me, but i had already done a lot of reading hear and on [link to Supplier #1 removed by moderator] about machines and masks an reviews. I would guess i am a DMEs nightmare as i am sure many of you may be.
Our revenge for the way they try to treat us.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
I suppose the one benefit of paying more for things in Australia is that we can lease our masks and machines for the first 3 months before we buy them and can change them as many times that we want in that time and the 3 month rental comes off the cost of the mask or CPAP. I changed mine 5 times in that period till I found the one that suited me best them stuck with it. As our insurance doesn't cover much I have had the mask, cushion, filter etc for 2.5 years without changing it so there are some advantages to that scheme.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-28-2013, 04:16 PM)Tez62 Wrote: I suppose the one benefit of paying more for things in Australia is that we can lease our masks and machines for the first 3 months before we buy them and can change them as many times that we want in that time and the 3 month rental comes off the cost of the mask or CPAP. I changed mine 5 times in that period till I found the one that suited me best them stuck with it. As our insurance doesn't cover much I have had the mask, cushion, filter etc for 2.5 years without changing it so there are some advantages to that scheme.

do you mean that you are using the same cushion and filter, etc. for 2.5 years or that you had enough masks and cushions and filters to last you 2.5 years since you changed 5 times? I was told to change my cushion monthly, I change my filter 2 times a month (I have 3 dogs).
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep same one for 2.5 years, obviously I clean them, the cushion seems to work better now than at the start, it is Sunday morning here in Australia and last night my AHI was 0.9 over 9 hours so it is still going well. Aas I said in Australia we pretty much have to buy everything so have to maintain them, it depends on who you speak to as to recommend change over, if we got them for free I would change them regulary as well. A friend of mine that has SA has had most of his gear for 10 years without changing it, he just went and got new nasal pillows because they were wearing out and he was upset because they didn't make the ones he use's.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-28-2013, 05:16 PM)Tez62 Wrote: Yep same one for 2.5 years, obviously I clean them, the cushion seems to work better now than at the start, it is Sunday morning here in Australia and last night my AHI was 0.9 over 9 hours so it is still going well. Aas I said in Australia we pretty much have to buy everything so have to maintain them, it depends on who you speak to as to recommend change over, if we got them for free I would change them regulary as well. A friend of mine that has SA has had most of his gear for 10 years without changing it, he just went and got new nasal pillows because they were wearing out and he was upset because they didn't make the ones he use's.

my insurance pays for mine currently. the past 2 years, they only paid a portion of them. next year, I don't know what will happen as my current plan is not going to be available next year. most ppl have to pay for all of theirs or at least a portion of them (here in the states)
Post Reply Post Reply
I was shown 3 or 4 different nasal masks when I got my latest machine in November 2011.

The first mask I chose (ResMed Mirage) leaked too much and the sleep doc kept complaining about the data.

Went to the Respironics ComfortGel. Got good data and sleep doc was happy. Felt very heavy compared to the Mirage.

Then I tried the Respironics Wisp. Found it was as comfortable as the Mirage without the leakage.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I first tried CPAP in 2004; and could not tolerate it. Mainly because of the mask I was given.
In 2009, I had another sleep study. A split night study -- without CPAP, then with it.
I had an outstanding sleep technician who tried at least 4 masks on me.
The last one was a winner. When I went to collect my equipment, I said I wanted the masked used by the tech; and I got it.
Since then I have been complaint; and I am able to sleep on my side which has long been my preferred position.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hybrid Masks more comfortable than over the nose FF mask? sleepingbetterinFl 3 79 3 hours ago
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 16 244 5 hours ago
Last Post: jake79
  Skin Irritation from Masks Granny7 19 2,742 04-13-2024, 04:38 AM
Last Post: Little Olive
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 5 519 04-03-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: hejohoo
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 445 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Other masks to try? acordeon 5 521 01-01-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Equipment] 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working Tiredkiwi 5 524 12-30-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.