Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirFit F10 Elbow leak
AirFit F10 Elbow leak
Hello,

I am new to this world as I got my first CPAP machine yesterday. I do believe I've had this issue for at least the last 15 year (now 34) and my case was very bad (>99 confirmed events per hour at my sleep study, no rem at all, etc).

I had not such a bad night, averaging 20 events/h with the cpap (well compared to 99/h, that's good, no?), which I had not expected since when they calibrated me at the sleep study I had no events at 11 cm h2o and my cpap is calibrated for that and more.

The question I have until I can contact my doctor is about the mask; it appear to be leaking quite a lot at the elbow, and I was wondering if that was reducing the effectiveness or normal. The ResMed S10 reported an average of 10l/m being lost to the leak which I have no way to know if it's good or not.

I downloaded sleepyhead and it confirmed leaks between 8 (med) to 14L/m (95%), do I have to worry about this ? Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AirFit F10 Elbow leak
Hi Cairnam,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might be confusing a leak in the elbow with vent holes which are necessary for the mask to work properly.
Hang in there for more answers to your question and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are feeling air coming out around where the elbow inserts into the frame, That is where the intentional vents are. This vent is necessary for the safe operation of the mask. It reduces residual CO2 in the system. The Resmed machine reports unintentional leaks, which are leaks over and above the amount of air flowing through the vent. Unintentional leaks below 24 l/min. are considered to be not objectionable from the machine's point of view. The machine can still overcome the leak and provide the proper pressure and it can still sense and discriminate apneas.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-16-2015, 02:18 PM)PaytonA Wrote: If you are feeling air coming out around where the elbow inserts into the frame, That is where the intentional vents are. This vent is necessary for the safe operation of the mask. It reduces residual flushes CO2 in the system. The Resmed machine reports unintentional leaks, which are leaks over and above the amount of air flowing through the vent. Unintentional leaks below 24 l/min. are considered to be not objectionable from the machine's point of view. The machine can still overcome the leak and provide the proper pressure and it can still sense and discriminate apneas.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
all true, that intentional and non-intentional leaks can be fairly high without changing the effectiveness of the therapy, and 20 to 24 l/min is a lot. The other thing that leaks do is disrupt sleep (for some patients) due to:

1. making noise or making the machine make more noise.
2. leaks hitting or pushing past skin, hair, or eyes.
If the leaks are as described, but do not disrupt your sleep, then it's fine!

If disruptions do occur you can actually use techniques to help minimize the disruptions. For number 2 above, for example, many use cloth pad between mask and skin. In some cases this actually increases the leak a little bit, but greatly reduces the sound of hissing, and is soothing rather than alerting. For number 1, I sometimes hang a handkerchief in front of my mask, and it slows the flow just slightly and spreads it out, decreasing the sound but the flow is still well above needed to be safe from CO2 buildup.

Good luck.

QAL

Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 14 325 04-13-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: chronic
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 139 35,512 04-12-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Sheepish
  Cleaning F20/F30 QuietAir Elbow 70sSanO 13 5,745 04-12-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Magoo905
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 72 5,513 04-08-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: yankees123
  Leak Spikes and A Break in Flow blu15 9 1,254 04-06-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: avhenry
  Anyone's F20 Quiet Air Elbow Not Diffusing/Venting ANY Air? Hydrangea 33 12,936 04-01-2024, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeytime
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 10 396 03-29-2024, 12:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.