Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Maxed out S9 Autoset
Maxed out S9 Autoset
It's been a year and a half since my sleep study, where my diagnosis was severe, 63 on my back and 54 on my side. I currently use an S9 Autoset, which I raised to its maximum a little over a week ago, i.e., now the setting is 14 - 20. AHIs are never over 3.0, average 1.26. Last night it hit 19.88 and a couple nights ago it hit 19.66.

So what do I do if I need > 20 cm H2O? Get a transformer and jack up the voltage? Order a new, younger body? What do people do when they outgrow their autopap?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Maxed out S9 Autoset
(10-01-2013, 12:37 AM)JJJ Wrote: It's been a year and a half since my sleep study, where my diagnosis was severe, 63 on my back and 54 on my side. I currently use an S9 Autoset, which I raised to its maximum a little over a week ago, i.e., now the setting is 14 - 20. AHIs are never over 3.0, average 1.26. Last night it hit 19.88 and a couple nights ago it hit 19.66.

So what do I do if I need > 20 cm H2O? Get a transformer and jack up the voltage? Order a new, younger body? What do people do when they outgrow their autopap?

Great question. I honestly believe part of the reason I had sleep issues for over 2 years is because the pressure was too low on my S9 because when I got my S9 auto set, my pressure has not been as low as my set pressure of 12 and my pressure 95% of the time is 19.9. So, I am seeing a sleep study and pulmonologist and getting another sleep study. I asked the same question and if I remember correctly, I think the answer was a BIPAP machine. I hope I remembered it correctly.

I had 44.8 events per hour during my first sleep study.

Keep us updated on what you decide to do.
Post Reply Post Reply
Get an auto-bilevel (Auto-BiPAP)... Basic bi-level doesn't offer the auto functionality, which I think is great for most patients.

Best of both worlds... Auto-BiPAP can do basically what your AutoSet does, plus if necessary, can accommodate higher spreads between inhale/exhale pressures (more than the standard 3.0 cmH2O using C-Flex/A-Flex/EPR, etc.) That's nice if you're having trouble breathing out against a higher pressure. Plus, they allow for the higher pressures when needed (at least up to 25 cmH2O).

If I had no budget concerns, I'd get an Auto-BiPAP simply for the versatility it offers, even if I didn't need all the functionality, especially if I was getting close to the maximum pressures available using standard APAP.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2013, 07:41 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Get an auto-bilevel (Auto-BiPAP)... Basic bi-level doesn't offer the auto functionality, which I think is great for most patients.

Best of both worlds... Auto-BiPAP can do basically what your AutoSet does, plus if necessary, can accommodate higher spreads between inhale/exhale pressures (more than the standard 3.0 cmH2O using C-Flex/A-Flex/EPR, etc.) That's nice if you're having trouble breathing out against a higher pressure. Plus, they allow for the higher pressures when needed (at least up to 25 cmH2O).

If I had no budget concerns, I'd get an Auto-BiPAP simply for the versatility it offers, even if I didn't need all the functionality, especially if I was getting close to the maximum pressures available using standard APAP.

Coffee

I definitely agree with you!!
Post Reply Post Reply
I concur with supersleeper. Most Bi-level machines are capable of 25 cm-H2O inhalation pressure. And, can drop for exhalation so you don't feel like your trying to exhale against too much pressure.

And, JJJ, I think you know that jacking up the Voltage will not increase pressure.
(But, do PM me if you find where one can order a new, younger body!)

Kindest Regards,

Mongo
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I think we can get a near unanimous vote on the new younger body, I want one too. One of the few descenders here might be the 4 year old with OSA.
I do agree with the others an Auto BIPAP is probably your answer. Sure glad my auto pressure seldom exceeds 10.0 and my average pressure is less than 6.5.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's sort of an insurance/regulatory thing. If it goes over 20, they call it a bilevel and charge more money for it.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2013, 11:47 AM)bwexler Wrote: I think we can get a near unanimous vote on the new younger body, I want one too. One of the few descenders here might be the 4 year old with OSA.
I do agree with the others an Auto BIPAP is probably your answer. Sure glad my auto pressure seldom exceeds 10.0 and my average pressure is less than 6.5.

I am sorry that you have apnea requiring a CPAP machine but am happy it was caught and that your pressure level is low!!

As far as the new body, I will take that too as long as it is a healthy one!! lol
Post Reply Post Reply
Any chance setting the max pressure on your autoset machine actually increased your AHI?
Perhaps another sleep study in indicated. At the very least, consult your physician.
He/she needs to be kept informed.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2013, 02:19 PM)justMongo Wrote: Any chance setting the max pressure on your autoset machine actually increased your AHI? Perhaps another sleep study in indicated. At the very least, consult your physician. He/she needs to be kept informed.

I spent most of my CPAP life (the past year and a half) struggling with leaks. It was only a few weeks ago that I finally got a chin strap/mask combination that works to keep my leaks down where they belong. My pressures never went much above 17 back when I had a lot of leaks. But now that the leaks are down to 3 - 6 L my machine is giving me much more pressure. My AHI has always been fairly low - average 1.26 and never over 3.0. There has not been any big change in the AHI since I got the leaks under control. I think that I am now finally getting the maximum therapy that I couldn't get before because of the leaks.

As for my sleep doc, she's OK, but I'm doing fine on my own. If I need a bipap I might have to get a different prescription, or maybe not. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. In the meantime I'm just going to keep my eye on the maximum pressure I reach every night. I haven't actually hit 20 cm H2O yet, so I'll just keep tabs on it for a while.

Thanks to everyone else for the comments. I didn't realize that a bipap could go higher, so now I know what to do in case my S9 Autoset can't deliver what I need.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 104 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  autoset vs autoset for her on airsense 11? Uzupan 7 1,385 02-06-2023, 03:37 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  S10 Autoset or S11 Autoset? The Latinist 3 1,860 02-01-2023, 04:57 PM
Last Post: tomtiki
  AirSense11 AutoSet dougsooley 4 755 10-22-2022, 03:49 PM
Last Post: dougsooley
  [Equipment] From iBreeze to Autoset 10 kirby4564 12 1,237 10-15-2022, 11:34 AM
Last Post: kirby4564
  Airsense Autoset 11 eroemer 3 706 10-02-2022, 10:36 AM
Last Post: eroemer
  Autoset 10 repair? Nightynite 8 1,127 06-22-2022, 10:17 AM
Last Post: cpapuserzzz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.