Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Maxillary appliance
Maxillary appliance
Hi All,
I have just been to the dentist( as my bridge chipped) and he told me i grind my teeth at night!. he suggested a maxillary appliance. I told him about my sleep machine( with a nose mask). does anyone have any experience with this appliance?. Any info would be appreciated.

Sleep tight...Jamie
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Maxillary appliance
really, no replies???, c,mon people help me out, do i tell the dentist yes or no??
Post Reply Post Reply
Not a lot of people use one but I've seen it mentioned a few times and they seem to work pretty good with CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-29-2014, 02:35 AM)cellikbhoy Wrote: really, no replies???, c,mon people help me out, do i tell the dentist yes or no??

If you're talking about oral devices to help with sleep apnea, they have limited success and usually are only marginally effective for patients with borderline or mild OSA. If you have moderate or severe OSA, they are not really that effective at all in treating OSA, especially when compared to the effectiveness of CPAP.

Now, if you're talking about a device intending to solve a dental problem, that's a whole different story. Probably not going to find a lot of folks on a sleep apnea forum who have first-hand experience with a maxillary device that's intended to treat teeth grinding. But, be patient - there may be someone here who can offer insight- you just might have to wait until someone like that reads your post, which could be a while.

Good luck to you.

Smile
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I grind my teeth and use an appliance when I go to sleep in addition to the CPAP. If you do a search on the forum for TMJ or tempero mandibular joint, you'll find a thread I started some time ago about this issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-29-2014, 07:47 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:
(05-29-2014, 02:35 AM)cellikbhoy Wrote: really, no replies???, c,mon people help me out, do i tell the dentist yes or no??

If you're talking about oral devices to help with sleep apnea, they have limited success and usually are only marginally effective for patients with borderline or mild OSA. If you have moderate or severe OSA, they are not really that effective at all in treating OSA, especially when compared to the effectiveness of CPAP.

Now, if you're talking about a device intending to solve a dental problem, that's a whole different story. Probably not going to find a lot of folks on a sleep apnea forum who have first-hand experience with a maxillary device that's intended to treat teeth grinding. But, be patient - there may be someone here who can offer insight- you just might have to wait until someone like that reads your post, which could be a while.

Good luck to you.

Smile
Works well for teeth grinding. Cant grind them with one of those in! I have one made for my sleep apnea but did not work as I have moderate. I am however, using it for my teeth grinding, and does work well for that.

Post Reply Post Reply
I wear a bite splint on my lower teeth for grinding, and have had no problems using it with my Swift Fx. Should be no problem uppers or lowers, and will save your teeth.
Good Luck
Post Reply Post Reply
I had to wear a 13mm flat plane splint to treat my TMJD and my clenching issues. I had to wear a FFM because that wouldn't let me close my mouth enough to keep my lips together. Worked really well to treat my TMJD.

It can be done.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 197 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
Question CPAP "Mouth Only" Appliance? GrantT 4 489 11-16-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: yankees123
  CPAP + Oral Appliance = Leaks DoktorSpengler 0 331 08-16-2023, 01:52 PM
Last Post: DoktorSpengler
  Oral Dental Appliance RandomPilar 47 11,950 06-21-2023, 01:59 AM
Last Post: ZacMirror
  [Equipment] oral appliance instead of CPAP? singergal67 9 1,086 06-02-2023, 03:54 PM
Last Post: singergal67
  oral dental appliance and retainer questions chavill02 4 1,141 04-05-2022, 12:01 PM
Last Post: Homerec130
  in middle of maxillary expansion, wake up every night right after falling asleep jvans 1 724 01-26-2021, 02:46 AM
Last Post: jaswilliams

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.