Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

More advice? (sorry guys.)
More advice? (sorry guys.)
If I get my machine Thursday, and my ahi doesn't go down in 2 weeks, what should I say to my doctor?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: More advice? (sorry guys.)
I wouldn't worry about it. Regardless of what your AHI is there is help to be found here. You can make adjustments to your pressure to improve it without going through your doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, thanks. What if I just simply feel that it is not working?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2017, 02:21 PM)UKwildcatfan Wrote: Ok, thanks. What if I just simply feel that it is not working?

Such speculation can be a self fulfilling prophecy. Go into it with an attitude that it will work.
Does a basketball team take the court with a question of what will they do if they lose?
No. They go in with a "will win" attitude.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree. I am going to adopt a "can do" attitude from here on out.
Post Reply Post Reply
I fought the whole sleep apnea diagnosis, even though my diagnosis was AHI 30.8, considered just into the severe level. Except for the fact I fell asleep and had a wreck (luckily no injuries to anyone, just two cars) I still resisted. I couldn't get an overnight test right away because I tore my rotator cuff just after the wreck and it takes awhile to be able to sleep decently (was still recovering from the same surgery on the other side). Finally 4 months after the wreck I got the test--and meanwhile I lost my drivers license. I didn't adjust easily--I didn't know how to check my AHI on my machine and it was about a month before I found this forum and installed sleepyhead. After seeing SH stats from day one I saw that my numbers started to drop after about 2 weeks, and six weeks out I was pretty good--usually between 2 and 3 AHI and I had finally learned to sleep with this thing on my face. I have a minimal mask, the PR Wisp which is still my main choice. I've never taken the mask off at night and have had 100% compliance since September 2015. It did take an adjustment in attitude--when I started being thankful the problem had been found and quit fussing about it things got easier. My AHI now usually has a 30 average below 1--it just too awhile. Good luck---and relax!
Post Reply Post Reply
Think about it as a process, not an event.

You start where the provider thinks the settings should be, based on the sleep test.

Next, you download your data and look at the results overall (simple bar graph), and for specific days (details may be reviewed in data capable machines). The daily charts may clarify how your condition manifests in you. For example, you may get clusters of events at fairly consistent times during your sleep, possibly during REM. Or, you may have events scattered throughout the night.

Based on the AHI (apnea-hypopnea index, an average of the number of events over the time you slept), you may choose adjust the settings to optimize your results.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 44 1,834 9 hours ago
Last Post: akarifur
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 304 Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 181 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 874 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 145 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 79 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 804 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.