Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Maximum total run hours
Maximum total run hours
I've heard that CPAP machines have a configured maximum number of total run hours, after which they'll stop working (and honestly, probably need replacing, but that's another topic). 

I use my original ResMed S8 from 2007 as my travel machine, and it works great. However, it's over 14,000 hours, and I'm wondering if it's going to stop working at 15,000, some other number, or is this even a concern?

Anyone know about this, or have you encountered it? 

Brad
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Maximum total run hours
Not that it's a programmed it'll stop working, but I think it's just inherent that these PAP devices are good for about 5 years and 15-20K hours use. After that it's a gamble on the PAP not failing. And if you're familiar with equipment failure, it'll likely be about 3:30 AM Sunday when there's no way to replace the failed device.

If you've got the health insurance and your sleep study and/or a copy of the script, it's about time to replace the old reliable. If you do not have the insurance coverage and would be buying it yourself, try Supplier #2 and see what they have nearly equal to what you've got now. ResMed is still on the 10 series.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using my AirCurve 10 VAuto for over 5 1/2 years and have put on 19,000  hours on it . It still runs perfectly . So I don't believe that they die after 5 years or 15,000 hours .
However , I did purchase a new AirCurve 10 VAuto a couple of weeks ago as my insurance allows a replacement every 5 years . I am keeping my old one as a replacement .
Post Reply Post Reply
Insurance and underwriting, including warranty duration, are all about 'mean time to failure'.  They bench run items to test them, and eventually estimate what the average time is before failure, and then they warrant items on that basis.  Ideally, you don't warrant an item until it actually fails, but you warrant it for about one standard deviation before the average/mean time of failure.  That way, you only risk having to repair or to replace a small number of machines that crap out some time during the warranty period, but most will fail outside of the warranty period.  The health insurance people have decided that they'll authorize replacement at the five year mark.  

The hours don't necessarily match because some of us sleep for six hours routinely, while others get the 'recommended' eight hours.  After two more hours per night, over five years, that's a whack of extra hours, over 3500!  So, there's quite apparently a great deal of variance in terms of accumulated hours of use, but the industry just goes with five years duration.
Post Reply Post Reply
The five year life-span is a creation of the insurance industry. Medicare is moving to a model where they require actual unrepairable failure before they will replace a machine. That's going to create a bunch of nervous seniors as their machines get older and they face the threat of no therapy during the transition. Without insurance, these machines would cost a fraction of the current cost in a competitive marketplace, and people would get what they want, when they need it. The system is really rigged to transfer as much cost as possible onto the end user, while giving them the least choice and control.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 289 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 253 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Big Gap In Readings - Hours of use too short an4g745 12 475 03-01-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Total machine use hours? milogurd 1 277 02-03-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Why do I wake up after a few hours sleep? John Reston 6 493 01-28-2024, 02:56 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Consistently Waking Up After ~3 Hours on CPAP sammyg7241 2 439 01-20-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question [CPAP] Consistently Waking Up After 3 Hours on CPAP sammyg7241 2 529 01-11-2024, 01:24 AM
Last Post: Expat31

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.