Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Maybe I'm Just Weird...
RE: Maybe I'm Just Weird...
(05-16-2015, 06:41 PM)TyroneShoes Wrote: The reason lots of use the S9 is because it has been the de facto choice of many professionals for a long time. Fewer use the Airsense, but not because the Autoset is better, but because the newer machine is not as well distributed yet. If you are getting in the game now, I would go for the newest machine you can get. The older Resmeds don't measure RDI, which is something some folks may find important.

Hi kingskid,

As far as I know the only ResMed machine which reports RERA events and therefore provides the data needed to calculate RDI is the A10 Autoset For Her.

The data-capable Philips Respironics System One machines measure RERA events and so will allow calculation of RDI.

No RERA events were reported during your sleep test. When a sleep test reports all zero data there is a slight possibility that RERAs may have been present but were not looked for and therefore were not reported. But I think it is more likely that you had no RERA events.

If you have shallow breathing and look forward to a machine which will help you breathe more deeply the type of machine which does that is called a bi-level machine. The greater the pressure difference between EPAP and IPAP (called Pressure Support) the more easily and deeply we will breathe.

A Pressure Support setting of 10 (cmH2O) will usually be adequate to do all the work of breathing. A setting of 5 strongly supports breathing more deeply.

An APAP machine like the AutoSet has Exhalation Pressure Relief, which is like a form of Pressure Support except limited to 3 cmH2O.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

ADDED:

On standard ResMed CPAP/APAP machines EPAP = IPAP minus EPR, and on standard bi-level machines IPAP = EPAP plus PS, but these machines will wait for us to start a breath before changing the pressure from EPAP to IPAP.

An ASV machine, however, will step in after a few seconds and will start automatically cycling between IPAP and EPAP in order to do for us some or all of the work of breathing.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Maybe I'm Just Weird...
(05-17-2015, 11:00 AM)vsheline Wrote:
(05-16-2015, 06:41 PM)TyroneShoes Wrote: The reason lots of use the S9 is because it has been the de facto choice of many professionals for a long time. Fewer use the Airsense, but not because the Autoset is better, but because the newer machine is not as well distributed yet. If you are getting in the game now, I would go for the newest machine you can get. The older Resmeds don't measure RDI, which is something some folks may find important.

Hi kingskid,

As far as I know the only ResMed machine which reports RERA events and therefore provides the data needed to calculate RDI is the A10 Autoset For Her.

The data-capable Philips Respironics System One machines measure RERA events and so will allow calculation of RDI.

No RERA events were reported during your sleep test. When a sleep test reports all zero data there is a slight possibility that RERAs may have been present but were not looked for and therefore were not reported. But I think it is far more likely that you had no RERA events.

If you have shallow breathing and look forward to a machine which will help you breathe more deeply the type of machine which does that is called a bi-level machine. The greater the pressure difference between EPAP and IPAP (called Pressure Support) the more deeply we will breathe.

A Pressure Support setting of 10 (cmH2O) will usually be adequate to do for me all the work of breathing. A setting of 5 strongly supports breathing more deeply.

An APAP machine like the AutoSet has Exhalation Pressure Relief, which is like a form of Pressure Support except limited to 3 cmH2O.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

Thanks for your info, Vaughn. There's so much to learn! Hopefully the titration test will narrow the field of possible machines.Rolleyes
"Freedom is the oxygen of the soul."
Moshe Dayan
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] O2 ring/weird heart rate/no other symptoms jdavis 6 190 03-09-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Oscar Data. No events flagged but weird flow rate pattern during REM Ynot 53 2,660 02-18-2024, 10:08 PM
Last Post: Ynot
  Weird spikes and then I wake up tiredguy1 4 290 02-12-2024, 10:33 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  ASV machine making weird sound on startup and when mask is disconnected kc90 7 285 02-08-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Weird breathing flow Rich66 1 297 01-09-2024, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] Weird Flow Rate/Minute Vent OK Laptop 0 402 10-28-2023, 12:40 AM
Last Post: OK Laptop
  Weird neck/throat movements. Is there a term for this? Rebdr 1 312 10-19-2023, 05:39 AM
Last Post: Rebdr

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.