Maybe I'm Just Weird...
vsheline Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

Sex: Male

RE: Maybe I'm Just Weird...
(05-16-2015 06:41 PM)TyroneShoes Wrote:  The reason lots of use the S9 is because it has been the de facto choice of many professionals for a long time. Fewer use the Airsense, but not because the Autoset is better, but because the newer machine is not as well distributed yet. If you are getting in the game now, I would go for the newest machine you can get. The older Resmeds don't measure RDI, which is something some folks may find important.

Hi kingskid,

As far as I know the only ResMed machine which reports RERA events and therefore provides the data needed to calculate RDI is the A10 Autoset For Her.

The data-capable Philips Respironics System One machines measure RERA events and so will allow calculation of RDI.

No RERA events were reported during your sleep test. When a sleep test reports all zero data there is a slight possibility that RERAs may have been present but were not looked for and therefore were not reported. But I think it is more likely that you had no RERA events.

If you have shallow breathing and look forward to a machine which will help you breathe more deeply the type of machine which does that is called a bi-level machine. The greater the pressure difference between EPAP and IPAP (called Pressure Support) the more easily and deeply we will breathe.

A Pressure Support setting of 10 (cmH2O) will usually be adequate to do all the work of breathing. A setting of 5 strongly supports breathing more deeply.

An APAP machine like the AutoSet has Exhalation Pressure Relief, which is like a form of Pressure Support except limited to 3 cmH2O.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

ADDED:

On standard ResMed CPAP/APAP machines EPAP = IPAP minus EPR, and on standard bi-level machines IPAP = EPAP plus PS, but these machines will wait for us to start a breath before changing the pressure from EPAP to IPAP.

An ASV machine, however, will step in after a few seconds and will start automatically cycling between IPAP and EPAP in order to do for us some or all of the work of breathing.

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2015 11:32 AM by vsheline.)
05-17-2015 11:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
kingskid Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 for Her
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 for Her
Humidifier: MyAir Integrated
CPAP Pressure: 7 Cm
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Began therapy 9/2/15

Sex: Female

RE: Maybe I'm Just Weird...
(05-17-2015 11:00 AM)vsheline Wrote:  
(05-16-2015 06:41 PM)TyroneShoes Wrote:  The reason lots of use the S9 is because it has been the de facto choice of many professionals for a long time. Fewer use the Airsense, but not because the Autoset is better, but because the newer machine is not as well distributed yet. If you are getting in the game now, I would go for the newest machine you can get. The older Resmeds don't measure RDI, which is something some folks may find important.

Hi kingskid,

As far as I know the only ResMed machine which reports RERA events and therefore provides the data needed to calculate RDI is the A10 Autoset For Her.

The data-capable Philips Respironics System One machines measure RERA events and so will allow calculation of RDI.

No RERA events were reported during your sleep test. When a sleep test reports all zero data there is a slight possibility that RERAs may have been present but were not looked for and therefore were not reported. But I think it is far more likely that you had no RERA events.

If you have shallow breathing and look forward to a machine which will help you breathe more deeply the type of machine which does that is called a bi-level machine. The greater the pressure difference between EPAP and IPAP (called Pressure Support) the more deeply we will breathe.

A Pressure Support setting of 10 (cmH2O) will usually be adequate to do for me all the work of breathing. A setting of 5 strongly supports breathing more deeply.

An APAP machine like the AutoSet has Exhalation Pressure Relief, which is like a form of Pressure Support except limited to 3 cmH2O.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

Thanks for your info, Vaughn. There's so much to learn! Hopefully the titration test will narrow the field of possible machines.Rolleyes

"Freedom is the oxygen of the soul."
Moshe Dayan
05-17-2015 11:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Question Weird gaps in SH recording Snowbird47 10 513 06-26-2016 07:51 AM
Last Post: Snowbird47
  weird smell after removing mask? upat3am 14 1,171 05-04-2016 04:23 PM
Last Post: Wrz77
  weird night I_will_never_sleep_again 4 498 03-05-2016 01:46 PM
Last Post: I_will_never_sleep_again
  Continuing Airsense 10 Humidity and Weird Data Problems bluemom51 12 1,262 12-19-2015 03:51 PM
Last Post: eseedhouse
  Weird breathing issue napnaptime 13 1,662 12-09-2015 07:40 PM
Last Post: napnaptime
  0.00 AHI but graphs look weird jolycu 27 2,346 12-05-2015 01:12 PM
Last Post: jolycu
  Weird dreams and thoughts mzdawn74 27 3,224 09-22-2015 08:44 PM
Last Post: MobileBasset