Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Maybe I'm Just Weird...
Maybe I'm Just Weird...
I've been reading so many posts from folks who just are not sleeping well because of apnea, but I sleep like a horse (and sound like one at times), get up raring to go, have a lot of energy, and start getting sleepy while watching TV usually somewhere around 8:30PM (I live at 8800'). Since I've not received my tests yet, I don't have all my stats, but my PCP told me my AHI was 22.7 and my oxygen had dropped down to 70% the night of my hospital sleep study, but he didn't have any indication how long it was at that level. If 90% is low, 70% is what--almost dead? My sleep results are in the mail, so guess I will have to wait and see what all the numbers are, but that 70% has me a bit concerned....anyone else have a similar reading??Thinking-about
"Freedom is the oxygen of the soul."
Moshe Dayan
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Maybe I'm Just Weird...
Out of curiosity, at what elevation did you conduct your study?

Low oxygen saturation indicates inadequate ventilation to maintain blood oxygen levels above 88 ml/dL and can result from not breathing, or respiratory resistance. High altitude can cause low oxygen saturation and severe complications in non-adapted flatlanders.

Your personal sense of energy and wakefulness is great and assuming you are otherwise fit, not an indication you don't need treatment for OSA. Best bet is to treat this before complications make that feeling harder to achieve. I doubt you'll feel worse if you're prescribed CPAP, as long as you get good mask fit and the therapy does not interfere with your existing good sense of sleep.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you feel OK now, wait until you get on a machine! WOW!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know why, because I don't remember that you have said your age, but somehow I think you are younger than the majority of us, and are catching the OSA before it has done as much damage as it would have done later on left untreated... that is super news for you! I wish I had known when I was younger, and had the means to treat my apnea! A significant number of the folk on this forum seem to be in their 70s and the majority who aren't seem to be mid 50s to 60s (i'm in that group) I say seem - because the majority ain't telling, but they let it out now and again Smile
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2015, 03:43 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Out of curiosity, at what elevation did you conduct your study?

Low oxygen saturation indicates inadequate ventilation to maintain blood oxygen levels above 88 ml/dL and can result from not breathing, or respiratory resistance. High altitude can cause low oxygen saturation and severe complications in non-adapted flatlanders.

Your personal sense of energy and wakefulness is great and assuming you are otherwise fit, not an indication you don't need treatment for OSA. Best bet is to treat this before complications make that feeling harder to achieve. I doubt you'll feel worse if you're prescribed CPAP, as long as you get good mask fit and the therapy does not interfere with your existing good sense of sleep.

I chose to use the Rocky Mountain Sleep Center in Woodland Park, CO specifically for the reason they are much closer in altitude, maybe only 200' or so lower. My dr. originally made an appointment for the sleep center in Colorado Springs because he was familiar with it, but it's more that 2,000' lower, so he accommodated by request for the sleep center near me. I lived at 6,000+' prior to getting married 9 months ago, so have been at this 8800' altitude for awhile. I first discovered I might have sleep apnea when I was still living at 6,000'. Woke up in the middle of the night gasping and fighting for breath. Scared the heck out of me, especially since I lived alone. Subsequent to that and shortly after being married my husband told I stopped breathing in my sleep one(?) night, so decided to get tested. I don't doubt I need CPAP therapy and am really excited about it because now when I go to sleep I try to take deeper breaths using my diaphragm, but that only lasts as long as I am awake enough to do it! It'll be great to have another "sleep partner" to help me breathe more deeply (and consistently). BTW, the PT at the sleep study said I went into REM three times during the night. Actually, even with being all wired up and having gobs of sticky thingies on my head and in my hair, I slept like a baby...
Moshe Dayan
Post Reply Post Reply
I used to feel great, too when I woke up. I could stay up for 2 days straight without any problem. Drive 16 hours off of only 4-5 hours sleep the night before. I know for sure I had some positional apnea back then and could only sleep on my sides or my airway would collapse.

Then around age 38 I did the waking up gasping for air thing. Heart pounding so hard. Terrifying. That is when everything came down on me like a hammer. I never got that waking up raring to go feeling back. So if you catch it before it really screws you up that is all you can ask for.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2015, 03:52 PM)player Wrote: If you feel OK now, wait until you get on a machine! WOW!!!

Maybe I'll be as hyper as my Jack Russell....Too-funny
Moshe Dayan
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2015, 03:53 PM)DariaVader Wrote: I don't know why, because I don't remember that you have said your age, but somehow I think you are younger than the majority of us, and are catching the OSA before it has done as much damage as it would have done later on left untreated... that is super news for you! I wish I had known when I was younger, and had the means to treat my apnea! A significant number of the folk on this forum seem to be in their 70s and the majority who aren't seem to be mid 50s to 60s (i'm in that group) I say seem - because the majority ain't telling, but they let it out now and again Smile

I'm in your group, Daria, but other than nearly "dying" in my sleep a time or two, my energy level hasn't really changed from what it has always been. It'll probably hit me all at once some day!Laugh-a-lot
Moshe Dayan
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2015, 04:15 PM)wildboar Wrote: I used to feel great, too when I woke up. I could stay up for 2 days straight without any problem. Drive 16 hours off of only 4-5 hours sleep the night before. I know for sure I had some positional apnea back then and could only sleep on my sides or my airway would collapse.

Then around age 38 I did the waking up gasping for air thing. Heart pounding so hard. Terrifying. That is when everything came down on me like a hammer. I never got that waking up raring to go feeling back. So if you catch it before it really screws you up that is all you can ask for.

Yes, so true. As someone has said, "Getting old(er) is not for sissies!"
Moshe Dayan
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2015, 03:36 PM)kingskid Wrote: If 90% is low, 70% is what--almost dead?

Rumor has it that if you have a 0% for 10 minutes or more, you are no longer allowed to post on this forum.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] O2 ring/weird heart rate/no other symptoms jdavis 6 190 03-09-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Oscar Data. No events flagged but weird flow rate pattern during REM Ynot 53 2,660 02-18-2024, 10:08 PM
Last Post: Ynot
  Weird spikes and then I wake up tiredguy1 4 290 02-12-2024, 10:33 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  ASV machine making weird sound on startup and when mask is disconnected kc90 7 285 02-08-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Weird breathing flow Rich66 1 297 01-09-2024, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] Weird Flow Rate/Minute Vent OK Laptop 0 401 10-28-2023, 12:40 AM
Last Post: OK Laptop
  Weird neck/throat movements. Is there a term for this? Rebdr 1 312 10-19-2023, 05:39 AM
Last Post: Rebdr

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.