Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Maybe I need an additional humidifier
Maybe I need an additional humidifier
I've looked at the instruction manual for my machine and it comes with an additional port to add on I guess additional machines .I wake frequently with extreme dry mouth, and I think I need more moisture. Before someone ask yes it has a one built in and it's turned up all the way. Lol
Does this rag smell like chloroform?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Maybe I need an additional humidifier
(02-21-2015, 12:46 PM)DJ4wd Wrote: I've looked at the instruction manual for my machine and it comes with an additional port to add on I guess additional machines .I wake frequently with extreme dry mouth, and I think I need more moisture. Before someone ask yes it has a one built in and it's turned up all the way. Lol

I think you may need to keep down the air leaks through your mouth. While it is true that a full face mask will maintain the integrity of the therapy even with mouth leaks, it may not control dry mouth. The problem is that your mouth drops open and air moves in and out through your mouth and dries it out. The first thing to try would be a chin strap. You can probably get one through your DME or you can look at the online suppliers linked at the top of the page.

If that does not work (it didn't work for me), try to train yourself to keep your mouth closed and your air movement through your nose. It has worked for me. I may not keep everything together perfectly all night but I have reduced the mouth leakage enough so that the humidification takes care of the rest.

the method for keeping air from going into and out of your mouth is to seal your mouth off with your tongue against the roof of your mouth. If you close your mouth and suck, it will pull your tongue up against the roof of your mouth. That is the position that you want. All you have to do is maintain it which you can do without the suction.

I practice this in the time between when I get into bed and when I fall asleep every night. Another thing that helps is Biotene. They make a mouthwash and other stuff for dry mouth. I use the mouthwash just before going to bed every night. Seems to help but no real scientific evidence.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-21-2015, 12:46 PM)DJ4wd Wrote: I've looked at the instruction manual for my machine and it comes with an additional port to add on I guess additional machines .I wake frequently with extreme dry mouth, and I think I need more moisture. Before someone ask yes it has a one built in and it's turned up all the way. Lol

DJ4wd,
What is the model number on your machine? I don't think the PR System One machines have a built in humidifier unless maby an older model.
Do you actually have a separate humidifier connected to this machine?
Where is this additional port? Thinking-about
Or am I confused.. Your profile says REMStar...do you mean ResMed?
OpalRose
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The PRS1 humidifier is optional and it fits on the side of the blower unit. I presume OP has one of these.

The PRS1 machines have an optional "system one" humidification that does "smart" humidification and doesn't humidify as much if the room air is humid. You can turn this off in the clinician's menu and you may get more humidity.

With the full face mask, you shouldn't be having a mouth leak problem, although a leak around the mask will reduce the humidity. Even with a full face mask, mouth breathing does dry the mouth out.

You might want to download SleepyHead and check to see if you have a leak problem.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
The mouth leakage problem with a full face mask will cause dry mouth and it does occur. We can say that with a full face mask one has the same pressure outside the mouth as within the mouth. However this is a dynamic system and that does not hold true or at least it does not hold true all of the time. The full face mask does prevent the mouth leakage from escaping the system and so does not get sensed as a leak and does not negatively affect therapy but it can still cause dry mouth.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
If I may offer an opinion. I think many or even most PAPers experience dry mouth.
I, like others, have trained myself to place my tongue to the roof or the mouth; and forward against the teeth.
(Whether I maintain that during the night, I do not know.)
Normally, when we permit the tongue and lips to move, we stimulate the saliva glands that keep our mouth moist.
Perhaps, at least for some folks, we are having dry mouth because on this non-stimulation of the saliva glands.

Your thought?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Im sure of the make and model of my machine, and Ive tried the tongue on the roof of my mouth trick and that seems to be helping, thanks.
Does this rag smell like chloroform?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Bag for Aircurve 10 without humidifier? melbell 2 90 Yesterday, 09:09 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  ResMed Humidifier Tub Change? Reesche 12 348 04-09-2024, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Reesche
  [Equipment] How to stop rain out from external humidifier? SluggerBaloney 7 246 04-02-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: SluggerBaloney
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 888 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 502 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 422 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,219 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.