Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Maybe not needed?
(02-21-2017, 08:53 AM)MrsBrando Wrote: I forget to breathe when I'm awake sometimes. I'll notice I haven't inhaled for a bit, and consciously breathe. I also have times where I have what is referred to as "periodic breathing" when I'm awake, and I end up hyperventilated. It took years of being labeled an "anxious female" before someone thought to check my blood gases, and said it's from improper breathing and sighing often. When I periodic breathe when I'm awake, I go through a breathing exercise a pulmonologist taught me, of doing timed belly breathing. That's why I said maybe it's more than just sleep apnea.

I have the same exact symptoms. (You are not alone.) 

I've learned that (for me) it's due to my Lyme disease. I especially have the choking and gagging as I'm trying to fall asleep. On the CPAP now, I no longer get startled awake (as I'm trying to fall asleep) by the choking & gagging, rather I can feel my throat slowly being cranked open from the pressure of the CPAP.  So... that's kinda cool.

I do the deep breathing before I go to sleep. I've heard that 5 deep breaths will help the body switch gears toward relaxation and sleep, and I have very much found that to be helpful to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=3229]
"I especially have the choking and gagging as I'm trying to fall asleep. On the CPAP now, I no longer get startled awake (as I'm trying to fall asleep) by the choking & gagging, rather I can feel my throat slowly being cranked open from the pressure of the CPAP.  So... that's kinda cool."

Oh. My. Gosh. I have startled awake as I'm falling asleep for years! You're right, with CPAP it's not happening anymore. like 

Here's my new Sleepyhead from last night. Dragging today.

Save
Post Reply Post Reply
Hopefully most days are better. You might try a lower AFlex setting like 1. It shouldn't make a lot of difference in comfort, but may help with those breathing transitions. I can relate to the startling awake. It was the reason I could not sleep in a sleep study, and happens if I take a nap without PAP.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video CPAP - BiPAP Help Needed addicted 16 312 3 hours ago
Last Post: addicted
Question Help. Old CPAP user coming back, Oxygen needed? mogulman 21 372 08-22-2017, 02:12 PM
Last Post: Walla Walla
  Advice Needed- Problem With Recording on the CMS 50D + Oximeter nico08 3 73 08-18-2017, 11:06 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  [CPAP] Is CPAP harmful if not needed jdez91 5 275 08-17-2017, 07:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Camping help needed! Resmed Airsense 10 MargaretYakoda2 5 348 08-02-2017, 11:04 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  HELP NEEDED [ResMed S9 settings] DIZZY 12 469 07-28-2017, 05:03 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Help needed to optimize my Dreamstation Auto CPAP st8800 78 3,490 07-15-2017, 08:38 PM
Last Post: st8800