Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Maybe not needed?
Maybe not needed?
I keep feeling worse and worse every morning. This morning, my 3yo crawled into bed with me at 4:30am, so I took off my mask and went back to sleep. After that 90 minutes without CPAP, I felt awesome. Could using a CPAP being doing more harm than good? Maybe I don't actually need it?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Maybe not needed?
I see that you're using SleepyHead. Please post your charts.  I have listed some links in my signature to help.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can you post your SleepyHead graphs please.  We may see something that should be corrected.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd feel awesome with my 3-year old, but now she is 32. Lucky you!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=3213]
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi MrsBrando. I'd suggest increasing the minimum by 1 cm. Your therapy levels are currently 7-10 pressure, so this should help. Your current AHI at nearly 7 is not going to give you good rest. Hopefully this will help. Did you have any centrals noted in your sleep study or titration?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
Um .. The AHI suggests you do need still need it. Feeling better could actually be a delayed response to sleep earlier in the night. Also, it can take a few months to have your body recover to its maximum.

Your settings may need to be slightly tweaked - you might consider boosting the minimum pressure to 7 cm pressure to help with some of the obstructive apneas and hypopneas

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
IMHO you need it.

Your EPAP pressure is bottoming at 4 (ok, just above) repeatedly thru the night.  A lot of people have trouble at that low of a pressure.  Let's increase your pressure to 7-12 cmH2O which will provide more support for your Hyponea (H) and Obstructive Apnea (OA).    We may ask you to raise the pressure again but let's see what this does first.

Hopefully this will help you to feel better and reduce your AHI at the same time.

Please repost in this thread so we can see history in the future.
Post Reply Post Reply
My last polysomnogram was 3 years ago, but no, there were no centrals. Not that I know of, anyway. He just told me I still have mild apnea and to start CPAP. Then again, the last one was at home with limited monitoring because I can't sleep in a sleep center. I mean, can't. I stay up all night, no matter how tired I am. The last one in a center was 10 years ago, and the gave me an Ambien to get me to sleep at all. I slept for 90 minutes and they sent me home.
I had the minimum set to 7 for a few nights, but the AHI was over 11 and I had a bunch of centrals and periodic breathing. Plus, I already have to have my mask dig into my face, but the higher the minimum pressure, the worse it blows into my eyes.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2017, 07:06 PM)MrsBrando Wrote: I keep feeling worse and worse every morning. This morning, my 3yo crawled into bed with me at 4:30am, so I took off my mask and went back to sleep. After that 90 minutes without CPAP, I felt awesome. Could using a CPAP being doing more harm than good? Maybe I don't actually need it?

Yep, I have to agree with all the above posters, you need it!  For some, it takes a little longer to feel better.

A minimum pressure of 7 will help, and I would keep your maximum setting as is.  Raising the max  could trigger Clear Airways.  I would also turn off the flex setting.

My oldest daughter is 34 now, but I occasionally have my 2 1/2 year old granddaughter stay over.  
She makes her way to our bed and will ask a million questions about my mask.  I just answer her with a simple explanation that grandma needs to wear it to breath and feel good in the morning.  Her response is "Put it back on Grandma!"  

So I echo my granddaughter..... "put the mask back on."   Sleep-well
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,523 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 145 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 97 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  Help needed SteveC 23 1,068 03-02-2024, 05:16 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  help needed teamarliss 7 296 02-25-2024, 10:11 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Wink [CPAP] NEW USER - Assistance Needed Interpreting OSCAR Data tommythecat 1 278 02-17-2024, 12:55 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Advice Needed With Settings and Deciphering OSCAR Data WhatIsRemSleep 16 947 02-12-2024, 01:04 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.