Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Maybe not needed?
RE: Maybe not needed?
(02-21-2017, 08:53 AM)MrsBrando Wrote: I forget to breathe when I'm awake sometimes. I'll notice I haven't inhaled for a bit, and consciously breathe. I also have times where I have what is referred to as "periodic breathing" when I'm awake, and I end up hyperventilated. It took years of being labeled an "anxious female" before someone thought to check my blood gases, and said it's from improper breathing and sighing often. When I periodic breathe when I'm awake, I go through a breathing exercise a pulmonologist taught me, of doing timed belly breathing. That's why I said maybe it's more than just sleep apnea.

I have the same exact symptoms. (You are not alone.) 

I've learned that (for me) it's due to my Lyme disease. I especially have the choking and gagging as I'm trying to fall asleep. On the CPAP now, I no longer get startled awake (as I'm trying to fall asleep) by the choking & gagging, rather I can feel my throat slowly being cranked open from the pressure of the CPAP.  So... that's kinda cool.

I do the deep breathing before I go to sleep. I've heard that 5 deep breaths will help the body switch gears toward relaxation and sleep, and I have very much found that to be helpful to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=3229]
"I especially have the choking and gagging as I'm trying to fall asleep. On the CPAP now, I no longer get startled awake (as I'm trying to fall asleep) by the choking & gagging, rather I can feel my throat slowly being cranked open from the pressure of the CPAP.  So... that's kinda cool."

Oh. My. Gosh. I have startled awake as I'm falling asleep for years! You're right, with CPAP it's not happening anymore. like 

Here's my new Sleepyhead from last night. Dragging today.

Save
Post Reply Post Reply
Hopefully most days are better. You might try a lower AFlex setting like 1. It shouldn't make a lot of difference in comfort, but may help with those breathing transitions. I can relate to the startling awake. It was the reason I could not sleep in a sleep study, and happens if I take a nap without PAP.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,527 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 148 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 99 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  Help needed SteveC 23 1,068 03-02-2024, 05:16 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  help needed teamarliss 7 296 02-25-2024, 10:11 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Wink [CPAP] NEW USER - Assistance Needed Interpreting OSCAR Data tommythecat 1 279 02-17-2024, 12:55 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Advice Needed With Settings and Deciphering OSCAR Data WhatIsRemSleep 16 947 02-12-2024, 01:04 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.