Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Me vs Sleepyhead - Leaks? What leaks?
RE: Me vs Sleepyhead - Leaks? What leaks?
(08-12-2018, 11:02 AM)pupcamper Wrote: Sleeprider is right, you don’t have a leak problem. Even if your leak rate was being reported correctly you would only be over the large leak threshold 1% (about 6 minutes) of the time you were using your machine, which is nothing to worry about.  Using the 17 cm maximum pressure your screenshots show, your mask’s vent rate is 49.5 L/min. Setting the leak rate threshold in SleepyHead that Sleeprider mentioned to 74 L/min will result in SleepyHead reporting your leak rates much more accurately.

Thanks for the info.  I've been awakened 3 or 4 times a night by mask leaks.  I've learned to turn the machine off and re position my mask.  I haven't been monitoring Sleepyhead, but my own discomfort.

Given that my AHI is pretty good, I am thinking of lowering my pressures and see if that will help.

Barry
Post Reply Post Reply
Near enough two years now, and I'm still on my first F&P Eson mask, no issues with it. 

Routinely wash it once a month, along with the hose and filters on my Dreamstation. 

I'm of the theory that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."   Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Your mask may be hitting your pillow during the night causing it to lose its seal. If so, sleeping with your mask hanging off of the edge of your pillow will resolve that problem. Like anything new, it can take some getting used to. I’ve tried a couple of the pillows made for cpap users. They didn’t do me any good. I finally purchased a gusseted buckwheat pillow that I really like. It can be formed in whatever shape needed to clear the mask and will stay in that shape throughout the night. It is also heavy enough it doesn’t shift around at night. It is a firm pillow and very comfortable.

Hang in there. It takes a lot of trial and error to get everything dialed in and working the way you want it.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2018, 05:46 AM)pupcamper Wrote: Your mask may be hitting your pillow during the night causing it to lose its seal. If so, sleeping with your mask hanging off of the edge of your pillow will resolve that problem. Like anything new, it can take some getting used to. I’ve tried a couple of the pillows made for cpap users. They didn’t do me any good. I finally purchased a gusseted buckwheat pillow that I really like. It can be formed in whatever shape needed to clear the mask and will stay in that shape throughout the night. It is also heavy enough it doesn’t shift around at night. It is a firm pillow and very comfortable.

Hang in there. It takes a lot of trial and error to get everything dialed in and working the way you want it.

Thank you.  Useful advice.  I am using a CPAP pillow, but do know that I move around a lot at night.  I'll try to be more aware of how I position my head.

Barry
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2018, 05:46 AM)pupcamper Wrote: Your mask may be hitting your pillow during the night causing it to lose its seal. If so, sleeping with your mask hanging off of the edge of your pillow will resolve that problem. Like anything new, it can take some getting used to. I’ve tried a couple of the pillows made for cpap users. They didn’t do me any good. I finally purchased a gusseted buckwheat pillow that I really like. It can be formed in whatever shape needed to clear the mask and will stay in that shape throughout the night. It is also heavy enough it doesn’t shift around at night. It is a firm pillow and very comfortable.

I wish this page had a "LIKE" button.... ( I had forgotten my early "pillow leaks"  Unsure  )

My original pillow was a firm contoured one that supported my neck to keep it in line with my spine while sleeping on my side, and it was quite good, but I did get the odd leak due to the shape of the pillow. 

Now I have custom made my own firm flat pillow that is just the right height for my neck, but has no contour that causes it to dislodge my mask... the other advantage is I made it a custom length and width, so now it fits in my case when travelling, and at 65 mm thick it doesn't take up enough depth in the case to interfere with what I normally pack - I simply now expand the top section of the case to accommodate it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel WORSE after getting Leaks under control - hopeless HarleyGirl63 3 124 04-24-2024, 01:15 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 8 471 04-09-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: QT Pie
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 394 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 157 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 584 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 960 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 398 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.