Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Meaning of EPR and Essentials for Airsense 10
Meaning of EPR and Essentials for Airsense 10
Can someone kindly tell me, or point me in the right direction as to what the EPR settings should be, and what is meant by "essentials" for the Airsense 10??

My current EPR (expiratory pressure relief) is ON and at 2, and essentials is ON but don't know what that means?? I think an EPR of 1 means a drop of 1, 2 means a drop of 2, and 3 a drop of 3 from the lower range value upon exhaling. why would anyone want to have a minium pressure relief upon exhaiing??

What happens if I totally turn the EPR OFF, what does that do? Also, the essentials are ON. What happens if I turn the essentials OFF??
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Meaning of EPR and Essentials for Airsense 10
some people, like me, have trouble exhaling into pressure. You have the EPR settings correct, with EPR just try different settings and see if you like one best

essentials is just setting how much you have access to, the plus give you the most access
Essentials Plus you can allow highly engaged patients to access additional
features for control over more of their therapy settings, including changing their mask type, EPR (if
available), SmartStart and Run Warmup
Post Reply Post Reply
EPR drops from whatever the current pressure is. For example, if the machine is blowing pressure at 8.4 then EPR of 1 drops it to 7.4 on exhale, 6.4 if set to 2, and 5.4 if set to 3. Machine will not go below 4.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-03-2015, 09:20 PM)ckingzzzs Wrote: My current EPR (expiratory pressure relief) is ON and at 2, and essentials is ON but don't know what that means??
EPR drop pressure at exhale, not everyone use it but some find helpful especially if having problem exhaling against pressure or on higher pressure. I don't use it when the machine on auto, but have it at 2 since switching to fixed pressure
I can live with it or without, just like humidity settings, need some experimentation

Essentials On: turn the machine into a brick as far as data display on the screen sleep report goes, only shows usage hours
(I don't think affect data on the SD card)
Essential Plus: display efficacy data on the screen sleep report
The top part of the screen report shows events per hours and usage, the bottom part shows AHI, pressure, leak, etc ... you'll need to set "period" to 1 Day, (default 1 month)

Post Reply Post Reply
I changed my EPR setting from 3 to 2 and don't notice any difference.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Everyone is different; I notice a good deal of difference between the EPR settings. What's nice is, the change is instantaneous when you change the setting, so if like me you notice the difference, it's easy to decide what you like best.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you think it would be too much to set EPR to three? I am trying to train to breath through my nose with the pillows and its working except a feeling of difficulty breathing out at times. Would this undermine the therapeutic effects and make it difficult for the machine to reach optimal pressures? Thanks for your advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
it has nothing to do with therapy. Change it to 3 and lay down and rest, see if it's more comfortable. As long as it's not worse, give it a try for a while
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-06-2015, 11:26 PM)PoolQ Wrote: it has nothing to do with therapy. Change it to 3 and lay down and rest, see if it's more comfortable. As long as it's not worse, give it a try for a while

I changed my EPR setting from 2 to 3 and it made a difference for me, seems like less struggling when breathing out. I was curious what happens when you set the EPR to OFF. does this mean the machine remains at an EPR of 4 at all times?
Post Reply Post Reply
ckingzzzs, there is no EPR setting of 4. There is only 1,2 or 3. If the EPR is set to off, then there is no pressure relief when exhaling. You will exhale at whatever pressure your APAP is at the time.

I think you are confusing EPR with the lowest pressure that the Cpap can be set at which is 4.
These are two different things.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 621 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Central apnea, graphs' meaning and ASV machine settings GT26 4 248 02-09-2024, 12:11 PM
Last Post: GT26
  Need Input on AirSense 10 vs AirSense 11 b4 Ordering New CPAP mdmarmd 13 2,187 01-14-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: scowell
  [CPAP] CPAP in Silent Mode and Mask Useful life meaning aconti 5 459 12-17-2023, 01:45 PM
Last Post: aconti
  Meaning of information on "Sleep Report" Resmed Aircurve Auto fredhaddock 3 486 11-05-2023, 10:39 AM
Last Post: pholynyk
  [Equipment] Need help choosing between Airsense 10 C2C or regular Airsense 10/11 dabrat76 10 1,631 03-16-2023, 08:20 AM
Last Post: dabrat76
  Airsense 11: SmartStart is Off, but Airsense keeps turning on by itself kklein 4 3,494 03-09-2023, 08:34 PM
Last Post: kklein

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.