Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykell Eson
Humidifier: Dream Station
CPAP Pressure: 10.5
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

Meaning of RERA
Been using Sleepyhead for a month and am puzzled by RERA.
I have looked up the definition, but don't really understand how serious (or not) this actually is.
03-14-2016 06:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

Sex: Male

RE: Meaning of RERA
Respiratory effort related arousal means you're waking yourself up to start breathing again. I don't think CPAP machines are very good at detecting this, since they can't tell if you're awake or asleep. You really need a sleep study to determine if it's happening.

If you're concerned about it you need to speak with your doctor. You could get an oximeter and monitor your blood oxygen level, since low oxygen is what triggers arousals.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
03-14-2016 08:43 PM
Sleeprider Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

RERA tend to be treated better by pressure support form a BiPAP than from a CPAP or Auto CPAP. In conventional CPAP titration, the first level to be controlled is obstructive apnea, followed by hypopnea, and eventually RERA. Bilevel therapy provides different inhalation and exhalation pressures, and is more effective in overcoming certain forms of upper respiratory resistance. CPAP may work with higher pressures, so give it a try, but the next step may be bilevel or something like the Resmed Airsense 10 with exhale pressure relief (EPR)

03-14-2016 09:23 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Rip and Rosie Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: RemStar Pro
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykell Eson
Humidifier: Dream Station
CPAP Pressure: 10.5

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

thanks
03-14-2016 09:32 PM
Hmm888 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Remstar Pro Legacy/AirSense 10
Mask Make & Model: Resmed
Humidifier: Respironics/Resmed
CPAP Pressure: -
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncorePro

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

Sorry to bump this topic. I understand the CPAP may not detect RERAs correctly; however, my machine showed a RERA of 2.2. I don't know if this is considered acceptable or not?

Additionally, I looked at my old PSG, I did not see any column for RERAs which makes me wonder if this is something fairly new that they started testing for?
04-17-2016 12:13 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
vsheline Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

(03-14-2016 09:32 PM)Rip and Rosie Wrote:  thanks

(04-17-2016 12:13 AM)Hmm888 Wrote:  Sorry to bump this topic. I understand the CPAP may not detect RERAs correctly; however, my machine showed a RERA of 2.2. I don't know if this is considered acceptable or not?

Additionally, I looked at my old PSG, I did not see any column for RERAs which makes me wonder if this is something fairly new that they started testing for?

Hi Rip and Rosie -- If your Pro has C-Flex Plus and you set it to 1, I think it may help reduce RERA a little. Of greater help would likely be raising the pressure somewhat.

Hi Hmm888 -- 2.2 seems perhaps a little high. If your Dreamstation has A-Flex or C-Flex Plus, I suggest trying a setting of 1 to see if it helps any, and, after that, raising the pressure a little, too.

I don't know but I would guess scoring RERA would likely take more time when reviewing the sleep data than if not scoring RERAs, and perhaps some sleep labs or doctors simply don't take the time to do it?

From PRS1 Auto manual
Event definitions: RERA (Respiratory effort-related arousal) is defined as an arousal from sleep that follows a 10 second or longer sequence of breaths that are characterized by increasing respiratory effort, but which does not meet criteria for an apnea or hypopnea. Snoring, though usually associated with this condition need not be present. The RERA algorithm monitors for a sequence of breaths that exhibit both a subtle reduction in airflow and progressive flow limitation. If this breath sequence is terminated by a sudden increase in airflow along with the absence of flow limitation, and the event does not meet the conditions for an apnea or hypopnea, a RERA is indicated.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2016 01:21 AM by vsheline.)
04-17-2016 12:59 AM
Hmm888 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Remstar Pro Legacy/AirSense 10
Mask Make & Model: Resmed
Humidifier: Respironics/Resmed
CPAP Pressure: -
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncorePro

Other Comments:

Thanks vsheline, I will try changing the setting to 1 on my machine to see if that makes any difference.

What, if any are treatments available with RERA? I wonder if PTSD plays any role?
04-17-2016 01:58 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
green wings Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Respironics System One RemStar Pro (460)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10
Humidifier: integrated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 13.0 cm

Other Comments: using CPAP since Jan. 2016

Hi, Hmm888. You can do a web search for "UARS" and find a fair bit of information about it. I especially like the articles at Dr. Steven Parks' website. They are thorough and easy to understand. There is one called "Taking the Mystery out of UARS" that I'd recommend.

I had 20+ RERAs/hour scored in my sleep study in addition to the 30+ obstructive events/hour, so I have been interested in trying to get rid of these.

My original treatment pressure was not high enough, and I typically saw an average of 2-3 RERAs/hour in a night's SleepyHead data. It's down to 2 or 3 events during the whole night most of the time now.

As far as treatment for UARS, one of them is xPAP treatment. Another can be surgery if you have something like a deviated septum.

As far as PTSD playing a part, Dr. Google says that it can. I can't explain how, because I don't understand it. It seems to be something along the lines of autonomic nervous system dysfunction causing impaired tone of the tissues of the airway during sleep - basically they are getting way more relaxed and floppy than they are supposed to.

My understanding is that xPAP treatment is the most effective tool for treating UARS as well as obstructive sleep apnea. If you stick with your xPAP treatment and watch your SleepyHead data, you can make sure you are breathing well while asleep and not having arousals (at least not ones due to events that your xPAP machine detects.)

(04-17-2016 01:58 AM)Hmm888 Wrote:  What, if any are treatments available with RERA? I wonder if PTSD plays any role?
04-17-2016 11:44 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Explanation of RE and RERA on Sleepyhead sleepytimegal 6 273 12-03-2016 03:12 PM
Last Post: Perchas
Gross RERA Problem SideSleeper 24 1,052 11-02-2016 04:11 AM
Last Post: holden4th
  I Need Some Educaation on RERA's Please! SideSleeper 3 569 03-06-2016 03:37 AM
Last Post: zonk
  RERA numbers JamesW 5 940 12-17-2015 05:05 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Meaning of EPR and Essentials for Airsense 10 ckingzzzs 15 4,223 12-07-2015 07:47 PM
Last Post: rfin16
  High RERA Numbers SideSleeper 19 2,752 12-03-2015 12:57 AM
Last Post: SideSleeper
  RERA changes with mask/pillows changes Snowbird47 3 554 11-05-2015 01:27 PM
Last Post: PaytonA