Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Meaning of these numbers.
Meaning of these numbers.
I have had a machine for about 7 years and never worried about settings because I was, generally, satisfied with the results. The last few months that has changed and I am trying to understand how to affect the efficacy numbers.
I just did a short sleep to test my latest settings. The results were: AHI-24.3, AI-0, HI-24.3.
What should I change in the settings?

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Meaning of these numbers.
You should start by downloading sleepyhead and importing the data posting the results here so people can see it and help you.

Welcome to the forum.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
My first guess would be to raise the pressure, but I need more information to decide. Are you spending most of your time at the higher end of the pressure range? If so and the higher pressure doesn't bother you in any way I'd raise it to something like 9-16.

I would also recommend you consider a newer machine.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-13-2014, 07:35 PM)daddyhominum Wrote: I just did a short sleep to test my latest settings. The results were: AHI-24.3, AI-0, HI-24.3.

Thanks.
Whats the other results, pressure and leak?

How long was the short sleep test and were sleeping or awake?

To download the data from your machine, you need:
ResScan software: easy-peasy, you can download from here but does not works with Mac computers
S8 smart data card
S8 smart data card reader
Both the data card and the reader is not so easy to find ... google it
Post Reply Post Reply
I am surprised that these numbers have so little meaning.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-13-2014, 08:39 PM)daddyhominum Wrote: I am surprised that these numbers have so little meaning.

It's not that they have little meaning, it's that they are out of context, like seeing just a small portion of a jigsaw puzzle.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
What Galactus said. It's like Paul Harvey, you need to hear the "Rest of the Story".
Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
An AHI of 24 is in the upper end of the moderate range (15 - 30). Above 30 it's severe. It looks like all your events are hypopneas, which is a significant reduction in the airflow - not quite an apnea but still something to overcome. It's common to have clusters of hypopneas when transitioning to and from sleep, but we need to see your graphs to determine if that's what is going on. You mentioned you did a "short sleep" - how short? Is it possible you never got fully asleep and hence were in that transition period the whole time?
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-13-2014, 08:39 PM)daddyhominum Wrote: I am surprised that these numbers have so little meaning.

We know what they mean, we just don't know enough to be able to advise you on what to do about them.

One thing is for sure. They indicate your therapy is not effective. You are having, on average, 24.3 hypopneas per hour. That's one every 2 to 3 minutes, on average. A hypopnea is 10 seconds or more of a severely restricted airway. You could be depriving yourself of oxygen and that could lead to a stroke or heart attack. Or you could simply be depriving yourself of the deeper levels of sleep needed to lead a full life. Likely it's both.

The good news is that you have a history of tolerating CPAP therapy so the remedy may be as simple as an increase in pressure.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-13-2014, 07:35 PM)daddyhominum Wrote: I have had a machine for about 7 years and never worried about settings because I was, generally, satisfied with the results. The last few months that has changed and I am trying to understand how to affect the efficacy numbers.
I just did a short sleep to test my latest settings. The results were: AHI-24.3, AI-0, HI-24.3.

Thanks.

Some of this may have to do with the S8 sensing algorithm. Within the last 2 months I switched from an S8 VPAP auto to the S9 version. With the S8 I was getting a fair number of hypopneas. When I went to the S9 they almost went away.

I will also tell you that with the S8, when I was messing with auto mode my pressures were lower and my hypopneas increased. When I went back to S mode (bilevel), the pressures were higher and the hypopneas went back down to their original level immediately. Just FYI.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 112 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
  Can someone help me make sense of my Therapy Numbers? kc90 6 351 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Central apnea, graphs' meaning and ASV machine settings GT26 4 247 02-09-2024, 12:11 PM
Last Post: GT26
  Frustrating insomnia continues despite numbers alienfrontier 10 602 01-27-2024, 02:04 PM
Last Post: alienfrontier
  [CPAP] CPAP in Silent Mode and Mask Useful life meaning aconti 5 459 12-17-2023, 01:45 PM
Last Post: aconti
  Central Sleep Apnea AHI numbers too high chathamite 12 1,015 11-19-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Meaning of information on "Sleep Report" Resmed Aircurve Auto fredhaddock 3 481 11-05-2023, 10:39 AM
Last Post: pholynyk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.