Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Sex: Male

Question Measles -- vacinate old people?
I'm 67. I know for certain I've never had the measles.
(I sure remember the mumps and chicken pox.)
Measles vaccine did not exist when I went to school.

In school, we received Small Pox, Tetanus, and the Salk Polio Vaccine when it came out.

I received a series of shots in the late 1960s for military service; but, I have no idea if that included measles. I highly doubt that it did.

Mrs Mongo is a kindergarten teacher.

Should I get the MMR shot?

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-23-2015 07:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
DeepBreathing Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: EPAP: 9 - 15 PS: 3 - 10
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

RE: Measles -- vacinate old people?
If you've never had measles it's probably a good idea to get the vaccination. Around here it's expected that people will have vaccinations for common childhood diseases (especially pertussis) when they become grandparents. I think it's a very sensible precaution.

DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-23-2015 08:23 PM
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

While most people think that that the greatest risk in having measles is infertility, after a certain age, that is of course not an issue, but there are a ton of problems that measles can cause for people of a certain age, therefore, if you are not allergic to the vaccine or any of the components, it is advisable to get it. This will also lessen the chance that you become a carrier, and therefore protect others in the process. Vaccines from childhood wear out after 50, so a general re-vaccination is never the worst idea, especially since some childhood diseases are deadly for those over 65.
01-24-2015 09:18 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Ghost1958 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PRS1 Series Sixty Auto Aflex
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Eson
Humidifier: PRS1 with Heated Hose
CPAP Pressure: 10.5 min 16 max
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Moderate to Severe SA Obstructive. Rapid O2 desat off the machine.

im 56 and think I had the measles I know I had the mumps and chicken pox. I maybe had the vaccine too when I went to first grade.

I think if memory serves my mom talking about my having the "German Measles" whatever that was. I do know I had something at around 4 that almost killed me and had the old country doc making three trips a day out here 20 miles to keep me going. Same thing whatever it was did kill several local kids back then but for the life of me I think it was some kind of weird flu going around in the early sixties???
01-25-2015 12:07 AM
DeepBreathing Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: EPAP: 9 - 15 PS: 3 - 10
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Ghost, German Measles is what they used to call rubella...

Rubella is a viral illness that causes a skin rash and joint pain. A rubella infection is mild for most people, but it can have catastrophic consequences for an unborn baby. If a pregnant woman contracts rubella, her baby is at risk of severe and permanent birth defects or death.

Rubella is sometimes called German measles, but rubella is a different viral disease to measles.

Rubella is uncommon in Australia and other countries with widespread immunisation programs. Outbreaks still occur, so it is important to continue vaccinating children to prevent the spread of infection to pregnant women.
http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2...es/Rubella

DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

01-25-2015 02:38 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

The US is currently having a measles outbreak. Likely due to not enough people being vaccinated. Some parents resist vaccinating their children because they fear vaccines are linked to autism. Or, their logic is: they don't need to be vaccinated because "herd immunity" will keep them from catching whatever. Kids are required to have vaccinations to enter school in most states. There are too many exemptions.

When I was a young boy in the early 1950s -- polio was the big fear. If you didn't know someone who had it; you knew someone who in-turn knew a person with it. The Salk vaccine was the greatest breakthrough in immunology of the 20th century.

The vaccination program that we had in the 1950s provided free vaccinations at school. IIRC, a signed permission by the parents was required; but, I know of no parent who didn't want their kids vaccinated. Unfortunately, there was no vaccine for Measles, Mumps, Chicken Pox, and Rubella. The county I lived in quarantined homes with measles.

01-25-2015 09:36 AM
Crimson Nape Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: P-10 / F&P Simplus / DreamWear
Humidifier: H5i w/Climateline
CPAP Pressure: 8 - EPR 3

Other Comments: CMS-50F & 50IW

I was purposely exposed to the measles and mumps as a kid in the early '50s. The thought back then was to get them as a child to develop antibodies for later in life. I never caught either one. Now there is a test the doctor can use to see if you're susceptible to the measles prior to a vaccination,

Statistics prove that people who have more birthdays live longer.
01-25-2015 09:48 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

(01-25-2015 09:48 AM)sgearhart Wrote:  I was purposely exposed to the measles and mumps as a kid in the early '50s. The thought back then was to get them as a child to develop antibodies for later in life. I never caught either one. Now there is a test the doctor can use to see if you're susceptible to the measles prior to a vaccination,

They look for an immune globulin protein that shows a person has either had the disease or has been vaccinated.

I just read where the MMR vaccine is an attenuated live vaccine. I infer from that: every person in this home should have an MMR else they risk infection from a recently vaccinated person whom is shedding the virus.

01-25-2015 11:37 AM
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips/Resperonics BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One (950P)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quatro FX
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System 1
CPAP Pressure: 6-16

Other Comments: But it is a dry heat.

I am 61 and growing up I had measles, mumps, and chicken pox. Also had a strep throat. Luckily everything happened during the summer so I didn't miss any school. The only time I missed school was for a ruptured appendix in 7th grade. When I was in college I got a sort of rabies vaccine as well as for anthrax (same one the veterinarians get) as I worked in a diagnostic lab. Having served in the military I got all sorts of shots (don't remember how many times I got the gamma globule shot in the butt) and still get the flu shot each year. BTW, still have my tonsils and adenoids.

Part of the problem is we have become too clean of a society. Most of us got our antibodies from eating dirt, drinking for the garden hose, and not washing our hands when we came in from play. Hand sanitizers and anti-bacterial soap were unheard of for most of us. But still, good basic hygiene kept us out of serious trouble while we built our antibodies.

Homer
01-25-2015 03:30 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: System One DS960HS
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro "MED"
Humidifier: Attached
CPAP Pressure: Auto mode-script is:15/3/3
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic Other Software

Other Comments: Severe obstructive sleep apnea 1999/Just got an ASV machine

Hmm - at 52yrs old, never had measles or chicken pox, but have had mumps mono and strep (many times) - got pink eye from an office worker a few years back - other than flu shots and tetanus, have had no shots of this type in 30+ years.

Not around little kids, but am around parents of little kids - wonder if I ought to ask my Doc?

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
01-25-2015 04:26 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  If you snore, blame it on traffic fumes: People who live close to busy roads found to icyura10 3 229 08-30-2016 11:41 PM
Last Post: chill
Ohmy Why are people starting sentences with the word "So..."? SuperSleeper 57 3,664 05-27-2016 07:10 PM
Last Post: me50
  Don't honk at old people zonk 7 2,814 08-09-2012 12:34 AM
Last Post: Schnauzers 5