Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Measles -- vacinate old people?
I think my wife and I were vaccinated for Measles back when we were in grade school, around age 7 or 8 I suspect. I wonder if that vaccine is still working for me now that I'm in my early 50s? Anyone know?

We both had the DTaP vaccine about 3 years ago "Diphtheria-Tetanus-acellular Pertussis" in other words, since that was recommended by a doctor friend. We didn't have insurance, so it cost about $150 for each of us.

But other than that, we tend to avoid vaccinations. I know there's always somebody recommending that we get the more common vaccines, but we've also heard stories of how vaccines can bring about unintended consequences. In the end, I think it's a risk-vs.-reward thing that each person has to decide upon for themselves.

Smile
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
She must have mispoke on the German measles then because I never had rubella. I know I had all the vaccinations our family doc recommended and what the school gave that were being given for someone born in 58 and entering 1st grade at age 5.

Plus had some hepatitis vaccines with the FD and EMS.

Nobody alive now that would know for sure about me having measles though.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2015, 10:17 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: I think my wife and I were vaccinated for Measles back when we were in grade school, around age 7 or 8 I suspect. I wonder if that vaccine is still working for me now that I'm in my early 50s?

No, the vaccine becomes less effective with age - at your age you would need an antibody test to see if it still has any efficacy - getting re-vaccinated is cheaper. Check with your house doc, though - different countries used different types of vaccines 50 years back, so the standards and efficacies of your vaccine will vary from other countries, or even counties, in the US, as much of the standards back then were more localised from state to state.

Post Reply Post Reply

Thanks Doc, I will check on the vaccine soon. Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
For the record, SS, new rules for our health care workers here require regular retesting every so many years after a certain age if you work in the health care industry. Since most of Swiss are issued with vaccination cards that show when we had what, it is relatively easy to track it, but we have now a LOT of foreign workers in our hospitals and nursing homes, so the rules have been tightened up a lot, in order to avoid a Typhoid Mary situation, as well as protect us from infection from patients. So far, after thousands of health workers being re-vaccinated, no one has reported more than mild adverse effects, and then for no more than a week (swelling and pain around the injection point, mostly, one or two minor fevers, not much else).
Post Reply Post Reply
Well it all kinda makes me glad now, that I had the measles cause I don't know at all about vaccines, only what I had. Chicken-pox and what were then called 14 day measles or red measles. I was in Junior High. I woke up in the middle of the night, feeling really bad. I went in the bathroom and kept staring at myself in the mirror feeling like my eyes were painful and blurry and doubting I was seeing right, I looked "funny" but in a blurry sort of way. In the morning, my mother (a ww2 Navy Nurse) took one look at me and for some reason, started laughing. I said what's so funny. She said, "you've got the measles!" Still don't know why that struck her as funny. I guess cause I didn't see what she was seeing. I would have expected it to be a bunch of discreet spots like chicken pox, but it was red bumpy area's all run together on my face. The doctor came over to take pictures of my Koplik (sp?) spots in my mouth, for a study group he was in. My eyes and head hurt something fierce. I was out of school over two weeks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Somewhere around here I still have my shot records from when I was on active duty. Anytime I got a shot, I brought both of them. Especially the GG shot - that one hurt especially if they didn't warm it up enough. Always nice to have a spare in the event one got lost.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
This is one of those areas where I think moving records online helps - instant access by any physician with your health card to your records.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-27-2015, 01:11 PM)Homerec130 Wrote: Somewhere around here I still have my shot records from when I was on active duty. Anytime I got a shot, I brought both of them. Especially the GG shot - that one hurt especially if they didn't warm it up enough. Always nice to have a spare in the event one got lost.

Homer

Homer:

I don't know where you were eating... but it must have had some nasty food. I always found AF chow to be top-notch.

The GG shot is for after exposure -- mainly for hepatitis. It's made from human blood products; so, before a certain date there was a risk of causing hep-C or HIV infection from the GG shot.

I remember having a shot card in the AF. Where it is now is ????
Post Reply Post Reply

At your age, they do not give the measles shot. What they do is give you chicken pox (to reduce risk of shingles), flu, pneumonia and TD (which is Tetanus and diphtheria). Various STATES are recommending that anybody who is a caregiver for an infant under 12 months have a whooping cough (pertussis) booster. The reason why the CDC says nothing on this is that there is no evidence that grandparents are passing on whooping cough to grandchildren because most grandparents have more than adequate antibodies. There's been a lot in the news that in the absence of wild germs, the vaccines aren't as effective and over time, you lose the effectiveness.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Ohmy Why are people starting sentences with the word "So..."? SuperSleeper 74 7,462 03-28-2017, 12:57 PM
Last Post: Homerec130
  If you snore, blame it on traffic fumes: People who live close to busy roads found to icyura10 3 389 08-30-2016, 11:41 PM
Last Post: chill
  Don't honk at old people zonk 7 3,011 08-09-2012, 12:34 AM
Last Post: Schnauzers 5