Measles -- vacinate old people?
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

Sex: Male

RE: Measles -- vacinate old people?
I think my wife and I were vaccinated for Measles back when we were in grade school, around age 7 or 8 I suspect. I wonder if that vaccine is still working for me now that I'm in my early 50s? Anyone know?

We both had the DTaP vaccine about 3 years ago "Diphtheria-Tetanus-acellular Pertussis" in other words, since that was recommended by a doctor friend. We didn't have insurance, so it cost about $150 for each of us.

But other than that, we tend to avoid vaccinations. I know there's always somebody recommending that we get the more common vaccines, but we've also heard stories of how vaccines can bring about unintended consequences. In the end, I think it's a risk-vs.-reward thing that each person has to decide upon for themselves.

Smile

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

01-25-2015 10:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Ghost1958 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PRS1 Series Sixty Auto Aflex
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Eson
Humidifier: PRS1 with Heated Hose
CPAP Pressure: 10.5 min 16 max
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Moderate to Severe SA Obstructive. Rapid O2 desat off the machine.

She must have mispoke on the German measles then because I never had rubella. I know I had all the vaccinations our family doc recommended and what the school gave that were being given for someone born in 58 and entering 1st grade at age 5.

Plus had some hepatitis vaccines with the FD and EMS.

Nobody alive now that would know for sure about me having measles though.
01-25-2015 11:36 PM
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15

Other Comments:

(01-25-2015 10:17 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:  I think my wife and I were vaccinated for Measles back when we were in grade school, around age 7 or 8 I suspect. I wonder if that vaccine is still working for me now that I'm in my early 50s?

No, the vaccine becomes less effective with age - at your age you would need an antibody test to see if it still has any efficacy - getting re-vaccinated is cheaper. Check with your house doc, though - different countries used different types of vaccines 50 years back, so the standards and efficacies of your vaccine will vary from other countries, or even counties, in the US, as much of the standards back then were more localised from state to state.
01-26-2015 04:57 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

Thanks Doc, I will check on the vaccine soon. Coffee

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

01-26-2015 05:09 PM
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Other Comments:

For the record, SS, new rules for our health care workers here require regular retesting every so many years after a certain age if you work in the health care industry. Since most of Swiss are issued with vaccination cards that show when we had what, it is relatively easy to track it, but we have now a LOT of foreign workers in our hospitals and nursing homes, so the rules have been tightened up a lot, in order to avoid a Typhoid Mary situation, as well as protect us from infection from patients. So far, after thousands of health workers being re-vaccinated, no one has reported more than mild adverse effects, and then for no more than a week (swelling and pain around the injection point, mostly, one or two minor fevers, not much else).
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2015 06:27 PM by DocWils.)
01-26-2015 06:26 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
TheManseHen Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: RedMed A10 Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: One that came with machine
CPAP Pressure: 7.6-14.0 EPR 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Started C-pap Boxing Day 2014. Tortured sleep more or less since 2000. Trigeminal Neuralgia.

Sex: Female

Well it all kinda makes me glad now, that I had the measles cause I don't know at all about vaccines, only what I had. Chicken-pox and what were then called 14 day measles or red measles. I was in Junior High. I woke up in the middle of the night, feeling really bad. I went in the bathroom and kept staring at myself in the mirror feeling like my eyes were painful and blurry and doubting I was seeing right, I looked "funny" but in a blurry sort of way. In the morning, my mother (a ww2 Navy Nurse) took one look at me and for some reason, started laughing. I said what's so funny. She said, "you've got the measles!" Still don't know why that struck her as funny. I guess cause I didn't see what she was seeing. I would have expected it to be a bunch of discreet spots like chicken pox, but it was red bumpy area's all run together on my face. The doctor came over to take pictures of my Koplik (sp?) spots in my mouth, for a study group he was in. My eyes and head hurt something fierce. I was out of school over two weeks.
01-26-2015 08:24 PM
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips/Resperonics BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One (950P)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quatro FX
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System 1
CPAP Pressure: 6-16

Other Comments: But it is a dry heat.

Somewhere around here I still have my shot records from when I was on active duty. Anytime I got a shot, I brought both of them. Especially the GG shot - that one hurt especially if they didn't warm it up enough. Always nice to have a spare in the event one got lost.

Homer
01-27-2015 01:11 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Other Comments:

This is one of those areas where I think moving records online helps - instant access by any physician with your health card to your records.
01-27-2015 05:54 PM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

(01-27-2015 01:11 PM)Homerec130 Wrote:  Somewhere around here I still have my shot records from when I was on active duty. Anytime I got a shot, I brought both of them. Especially the GG shot - that one hurt especially if they didn't warm it up enough. Always nice to have a spare in the event one got lost.

Homer

Homer:

I don't know where you were eating... but it must have had some nasty food. I always found AF chow to be top-notch.

The GG shot is for after exposure -- mainly for hepatitis. It's made from human blood products; so, before a certain date there was a risk of causing hep-C or HIV infection from the GG shot.

I remember having a shot card in the AF. Where it is now is ????

(This post was last modified: 01-27-2015 08:36 PM by justMongo.)
01-27-2015 08:34 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Mosquitobait Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 For Her
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: integrated, Climate line tube
CPAP Pressure: 9-12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: RLS and Bradycardia

Sex: Female

At your age, they do not give the measles shot. What they do is give you chicken pox (to reduce risk of shingles), flu, pneumonia and TD (which is Tetanus and diphtheria). Various STATES are recommending that anybody who is a caregiver for an infant under 12 months have a whooping cough (pertussis) booster. The reason why the CDC says nothing on this is that there is no evidence that grandparents are passing on whooping cough to grandchildren because most grandparents have more than adequate antibodies. There's been a lot in the news that in the absence of wild germs, the vaccines aren't as effective and over time, you lose the effectiveness.
05-15-2015 11:38 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  If you snore, blame it on traffic fumes: People who live close to busy roads found to icyura10 3 229 08-30-2016 11:41 PM
Last Post: chill
Ohmy Why are people starting sentences with the word "So..."? SuperSleeper 57 3,669 05-27-2016 07:10 PM
Last Post: me50
  Don't honk at old people zonk 7 2,815 08-09-2012 12:34 AM
Last Post: Schnauzers 5