Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: Measles -- vacinate old people?
(05-16-2015 02:56 PM)retired_guy Wrote:  
(05-16-2015 02:24 PM)DocWils Wrote:  There was a lot of noise.......
Hey Doc,
When you get a minute would you weigh in on this thread? http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid113672

It may not be anything you can help with, but it sounds like something in your part of the world.

Thanks for the head's up, no I couldn't be of much help, Weinmann's products are not all that popular here for sleep therapy, although we do use their ventilators sometimes and their Somnolab home diagnostic systems are used in several clinics.
05-16-2015 06:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Type: Nasal pillows

Other Comments:

(05-16-2015 04:37 PM)me50 Wrote:   I refused antibiotic twice and then had an MRI that showed fluid in my ear and an infection around the mastiod bone. My doc told me I had to go to the hospital (she had already given me a script of cipro) but I refused the hospital visit as my ENT said they would just give me CIPRO by IV. I still don't know if CIPRO was necessary but I was told that it was close to my brain.

Ouch! That was a close one, mate. And yes, at that point it is a real fire alarm and they will throw as much at you as they can to get you back to healthy.

(05-16-2015 04:37 PM)me50 Wrote:   I wasn't talking about you specifically. I just saw a lot of bashing rather than accepting that you, me and others have a right to our opinions and ideas and to slam someone is not acceptable. As far as I can tell, you weren't slamming people and their ideas but were expressing your thoughts on how unsafe not being vaccinated is for not only the person but the public that they come in contact with. Even though I stay out of the public when I am sick there is that time frame where we are getting sick but don't know it yet because the symptoms aren't bad enough that we feel sick.

I fell a bit embarrassed about my cranky outburst, to be honest, but I do have a reputation of being sometimes "crusty" as you Americans say (that means something else here). I think in a previous life I was an old country doctor in a New England town. Kinda like that idea, hmmm.... maybe I should chuck it in here and hang up my shingle in a nice sleepy town where the fishing is good.....
05-16-2015 06:24 PM
AirSign Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense A10 for her
Mask Make & Model: Nuance / Airfit P10
Humidifier: Airsense A10
CPAP Pressure: 9-16, average under 14

Other Comments: Seasons here: Wintah, Mud, Road Repair, Wintah

Sex: Female

(05-16-2015 06:24 PM)DocWils Wrote:  I think in a previous life I was an old country doctor in a New England town. Kinda like that idea, hmmm.... maybe I should chuck it in here and hang up my shingle in a nice sleepy town where the fishing is good.....

Okay

Let me know when you'll arrive -- I'll organize a welcoming party.
The fishing is good pretty much everywhere, pond, river, or open sea.

We've got brook trout, fly fishing, saltwater, salmon, deep sea, and of course lobster.

Here's just one place to start . . .

And there's some fabulous stone-bottom crystal clear glacial lakes, too.

Like this one which has over 200 habitable islands, no TV or internet, and a official postal service mail boat that stops daily at some 30 of the inhabited islands.

We've even got mountains, OK, not as impressive as Switzerland, but a few challenging hikes.
05-16-2015 07:39 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

(05-16-2015 02:19 PM)DocWils Wrote:  Alan,

If you never once had a flu you were either very lucky or you had it but never realised it - not all flus show strong symptoms, and some are completely asymptomatic. The general list of symptoms just cover the larger variety of mid-level cases.

Those general list of symptoms could be something other than flu. You simply have no idea if it is influenza without sending a culture to the lab for testing. You just guess it is flu and treat it as if. that ranks right down there with those doctors that would throw an anti-biotic at you just because. I'm not saying you are one of those quacks. They do seem to outnumber the rest.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
05-16-2015 07:46 PM
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

(05-16-2015 07:46 PM)AlanE Wrote:  

If you never once had a flu you were either very lucky or you had it but never realised it - not all flus show strong symptoms, and some are completely asymptomatic. The general list of symptoms just cover the larger variety of mid-level cases.

Those general list of symptoms could be something other than flu. You simply have no idea if it is influenza without sending a culture to the lab for testing. You just guess it is flu and treat it as if. that ranks right down there with those doctors that would throw an anti-biotic at you just because. I'm not saying you are one of those quacks. They do seem to outnumber the rest.

I think you should go back and read DocWils' posts again. I didn't see anywhere that he said that he guesses and then treats with antibiotics.

Then, I hope that you just agree to disagree and lets move forward from this. there is enough drama outside this forum and none of us need it here too.

I, for one, respect your right to your own opinion but not to the point of ANYONE, and I am not referring to anyone in particular, calling anyone an idiot or otherwise demeaning another person.
05-17-2015 12:19 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

(05-16-2015 06:24 PM)DocWils Wrote:  
(05-16-2015 04:37 PM)me50 Wrote:   I refused antibiotic twice and then had an MRI that showed fluid in my ear and an infection around the mastiod bone. My doc told me I had to go to the hospital (she had already given me a script of cipro) but I refused the hospital visit as my ENT said they would just give me CIPRO by IV. I still don't know if CIPRO was necessary but I was told that it was close to my brain.

Ouch! That was a close one, mate. And yes, at that point it is a real fire alarm and they will throw as much at you as they can to get you back to healthy.

[b] Really? I didn't think it was very serious as my ENT told me it was just a little bit of an infection. I looked at photos of the ear that included the mastoid bone and it didn't look like it was in a bad position but that is why I go to the doctor in some instances. It was funny because I had been having problems with that ear for a long time but the first doctor's office ignored it so I changed docs. The 2nd one gave me an antibiotic that I quit taking the first day or two because it made me sick so then he gave me another one that I just wouldn't take.

It got worse when I then used some ear drops my ENT had given me and all was okay until the last day I was supposed to take them and then my ear got worse.

A few weeks or a month later, I was on my left side petting one of the dogs when all the sudden, my ear completely clogged up. Then the pain came and I mean pain where it hurt to chew food. Then it swelled almost shut. It did all of this in a matter of one or two days while I waited to get an appointment at my doctor's office (it happened on the weekend).

I came to the office two or three times and was getting an antibiotic shot. Then the doc said I don't want to flush your ear even if I could get past the swelling because you could have a rupture. I then said, well, why don't we do something to see what is happening in there then and that is when I went for a brain MRI (they moved fast as my appointment was late in the day and they sent me to the facility while they called my insurance for authorization....she was going to do a cat scan and some reason, probably the facility, told them I needed an MRI instead which is what my ENT had done before). The next day the doc told me to go to the hospital. I have medical insurance but sadly, by the time I pay the premiums, I can't afford a hospital stay unless I am in danger of death. I still have to figure out how to pay the almost $200 for the brain MRI. Not about to complain because if I didn't have insurance, I would have to pay $900 for the MRI.

(05-16-2015 04:37 PM)me50 Wrote:   I wasn't talking about you specifically. I just saw a lot of bashing rather than accepting that you, me and others have a right to our opinions and ideas and to slam someone is not acceptable. As far as I can tell, you weren't slamming people and their ideas but were expressing your thoughts on how unsafe not being vaccinated is for not only the person but the public that they come in contact with. Even though I stay out of the public when I am sick there is that time frame where we are getting sick but don't know it yet because the symptoms aren't bad enough that we feel sick. [/b]

I fell a bit embarrassed about my cranky outburst, to be honest, but I do have a reputation of being sometimes "crusty" as you Americans say (that means something else here). I think in a previous life I was an old country doctor in a New England town. Kinda like that idea, hmmm.... maybe I should chuck it in here and hang up my shingle in a nice sleepy town where the fishing is good.....
05-17-2015 12:31 AM
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Other Comments:

me50,

From what you are telling me you got off lucky. This could have gotten a lot worse. Actually id DID get a lot worse than the original infection, obviously. I actually suspect that one reason is because of the interrupted treatment, which may have made whatever you had more resistant. Did they find out the nature and cause of the infection eventually?
05-17-2015 04:20 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Other Comments:

(05-16-2015 07:46 PM)AlanE Wrote:  

I didn't guess anything was flu, Alan. What I said is that there is an extremely high statistical unlikelihood that you never once had influenza in even the mildest form. Next to the common cold it is the most widely spread disease and statistically pretty much the entire planetary population encounters it in some form or another in their lifetime. So the claim that you never had it is a bit hard to believe. You would be a very big statistical anomaly. But if it is so, then I am certain that there are researchers who would love to take your blood and study you just to see what sort of immune system you have and learn a lot about your life, in order to understand how you bucked the trend and if they can use that to help others. You may be a walking cure, my friend, or not. Certainly there would be something interesting to learn from you.
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2015 04:28 AM by DocWils.)
05-17-2015 04:27 AM
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

(05-17-2015 04:20 AM)DocWils Wrote:  me50,

From what you are telling me you got off lucky. This could have gotten a lot worse. Actually id DID get a lot worse than the original infection, obviously. I actually suspect that one reason is because of the interrupted treatment, which may have made whatever you had more resistant. Did they find out the nature and cause of the infection eventually?

well, when I first went to the doctor about my ear, I was sneezing, etc. and thought that there was all the crud that was draining in my throat draining in my ear too. first PA did nothing except tell me to come back for another appt so the nurse could flush my ear. I went to a new doc and saw a NP who gave me antibiotics but didn't really check out my ear, etc. and then changed antibiotic which I didn't take. Instead, I made an appointment with the doc who is an internal med doc rather than see a PA or NP.

The ear drops I had from a previous visit to my ENT was to be used 2 times per day for 10 days. My ear was better until the 10th day but I don't remember now what happened on the 10th day. Nothing too drastic.

Then what happened next was petting the dog and the rest you know. After I started on the CIPRO by mouth, no more checking was done. I don't know how they knew there was an infection at or around my mastoid bone in my ear but I can understand how they saw the fluid. My ENT who had a faxed copy of the report said there was a slight infection and that it wasn't necessary to go to the hospital because they would just give me CIPRO by IV.

The swelling is gone, the pain is gone, I suppose the fluid is gone but I can't say that for sure as there hasn't been any tests to see (while I was getting the shots in the docs office, she also gave me a different kind of ear drops so I don't know if that had anything to do with it but she wanted me to use CIPRO ear drops but insurance here won't cover it and it costs $250.

I don't know what caused the infection in my ear or the fluid.
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2015 05:00 AM by me50.)
05-17-2015 04:58 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

(05-17-2015 12:19 AM)me50 Wrote:  I think you should go back and read DocWils' posts again. I didn't see anywhere that he said that he guesses and then treats with antibiotics.
I did not imply that docwils did. Perhaps you need to read it again.

(05-17-2015 12:19 AM)me50 Wrote:  I, for one, respect your right to your own opinion but not to the point of ANYONE, and I am not referring to anyone in particular, calling anyone an idiot or otherwise demeaning another person.

When you drop an accusation like this you need to point out where I directly called someone an idiot. It would be most helpful to determine if I was in the wrong.

The only mention of the word by me is this:
Quote:Its nice to sit there and say "I am a doctor, therefore you are an idiot." it doesn't make it true.

That was not me calling anyone an idiot. It is a paraphrase. There is a difference.

However, you are correct in that we should just drop the matter. I will hold steadfast to my opinions, you may do the same with yours.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
05-17-2015 06:20 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  If you snore, blame it on traffic fumes: People who live close to busy roads found to icyura10 3 229 08-30-2016 11:41 PM
Last Post: chill
Ohmy Why are people starting sentences with the word "So..."? SuperSleeper 57 3,663 05-27-2016 07:10 PM
Last Post: me50
  Don't honk at old people zonk 7 2,814 08-09-2012 12:34 AM
Last Post: Schnauzers 5