Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: EPAP: 9 - 15 PS: 3 - 10
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: Measles -- vacinate old people?
Quote:she wanted me to use CIPRO ear drops but insurance here won't cover it and it costs $250.

Here in Oz ciprofloxacin ear drops are subsidised by the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme and cost $25.04 for the ear drops. It is a serious concern that the so-called Trans Pacific Partnership will give Big Pharma the right to litigate against the Australian government's purchasing and subsidy scheme which provides the lowest cost medicines for Australians. But we won't know because the details are being kept secret "commercial in confidence".

DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-17-2015 06:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
AlanE Online

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

(05-17-2015 04:27 AM)DocWils Wrote:  But if it is so, then I am certain that there are researchers who would love to take your blood and study you just to see what sort of immune system you have and learn a lot about your life, in order to understand how you bucked the trend and if they can use that to help others. You may be a walking cure, my friend, or not. Certainly there would be something interesting to learn from you.

Sadly, I think all they will find is an old man.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
05-17-2015 06:39 AM
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Alan,

There is ALWAYS something to learn from an old man, IMHO Wink
05-17-2015 02:09 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Other Comments:

me50,

The infection could have been a ton of things, so unless the labs or scans give a clear indication, you will have to chalk it up to bugger-luck and treat it as such. In the ear itself the most common is what we call, in translation, bathwater-infection, which we see quite a lot - more or less the bath water infects the ear canal and can pass it to the middle ear to some extent. The ear canal can close up or nearly close, and it hurts like all heck. For such people we advise to always wear ear stoppers in the bath because once you've had it, you remain prone to it. Cipro ear drops are the normal Rx for that, and are well tolerated, unlike Cipro oral. Occasionally we have to either include drops, oral or shots into the ear drum of Dexamethasone, but that is only if the infection is strong and at risk of damaging the hearing or causing a sudden loss of hearing. We avoid that because it is very tough on the body and poorly tolerated.

For all you know it could have been a tick bite from your dog that caused an infection, or anything. Labs will show that. It could be anything, and once they find out, after the fact, it will be noted in your file.

Glad at least that you are feeling better. Nothing worse than pain around the ear and mastoid. Okay, there is worse, but it is H E Double Toothpicks.
05-17-2015 02:20 PM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

(05-17-2015 02:09 PM)DocWils Wrote:  Alan,

There is ALWAYS something to learn from an old man, IMHO Wink

As an old man, I agree with the doc. Agreed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-17-2015 03:49 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

(05-17-2015 02:20 PM)DocWils Wrote:  me50,

The infection could have been a ton of things, so unless the labs or scans give a clear indication, you will have to chalk it up to bugger-luck and treat it as such. In the ear itself the most common is what we call, in translation, bathwater-infection, which we see quite a lot - more or less the bath water infects the ear canal and can pass it to the middle ear to some extent. The ear canal can close up or nearly close, and it hurts like all heck. For such people we advise to always wear ear stoppers in the bath because once you've had it, you remain prone to it. Cipro ear drops are the normal Rx for that, and are well tolerated, unlike Cipro oral. Occasionally we have to either include drops, oral or shots into the ear drum of Dexamethasone, but that is only if the infection is strong and at risk of damaging the hearing or causing a sudden loss of hearing. We avoid that because it is very tough on the body and poorly tolerated.

For all you know it could have been a tick bite from your dog that caused an infection, or anything. Labs will show that. It could be anything, and once they find out, after the fact, it will be noted in your file.

Glad at least that you are feeling better. Nothing worse than pain around the ear and mastoid. Okay, there is worse, but it is H E Double Toothpicks.

As long as I didn't/don't get a brain infection, I am good. Nobody did any labs so it will always be a mystery I suppose. I haven't found any ticks or fleas on the dogs but sometimes, when they have a lot of hair, hard to see them and just as hard to treat as so much of the tick and flea treatments are toxic, especially in older dogs. I am going to get order some ear plugs/stoppers today.

Thanks for the info! More than I got from my ENT who told me to call him in a week and let him know what was going on so he could decide if I needed to be seen. His office staff wouldn't let me speak with him as he instructed me to leave a message and he would call me back. His staff just told me to make an appointment (his office manager did) and I was NOT going to spend $45 on an appointment if it wasn't necessary so I am waiting for my regular doc to call me back and get me squeezed in (no available appointments with her until July). It is sad that our insurance company will not pay for CIPRO ear drops because that would have been easier on me than the oral route. I am still amazed that my ear immediately stopped up after laying on my side to pet the dog. I think that part of the problem was the ear drops I used to treat it before when the other doctor's staff didn't do anything for it (before it swelled up, etc.) and I bet I won't use ear drops I have used before and will be using alcohol, vinegar and water after my showers now and maybe just put peroxide in my ear a few times per week to help in case there is wax build up.
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2015 02:55 PM by me50.)
05-17-2015 04:55 PM
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Other Comments:

Good luck. I still suspect a flea or tick bite in the ear canal, personally, for ear canal swelling, but you were running an infection prior, so that may not line up, and despite my being an advisor for the Hard of Hearing org here, I am not an ENT, and they would know better. Cipro ear drops and other antibiotic ear drops are pretty much the same at those doses, most are from the same family in fact, also there are generic versions of Cipro by other names, so don't worry that it wasn't Cipro per se. It worked, and that is all that counts. And it would only work to ease the swelling in the ear canal - it would have had no effect on any inner infection, while oral works on the whole shebang. I am pretty sure cultures or blood would have been taken as a matter of course, so I am surprised if they weren't, it is S.O.P. here, and if they took a culture or blood, then there may have been labs behind the scene that you were not informed about.
05-18-2015 05:47 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

I went straight from the doctor's office to get the MRI. the doc said she would not do anything with my ear because she didn't know if I had a ruptured eardrum or not. She didnt send me to get any blood work. I would been sent to the lab to do that. because they dont do blood draws or cultures.Dr didn't even look in my ear because it was too swollen and yeah I think I've had this ear issue for a long time. I don't know when the infection started but I do know that if I had not leaned over to pet my dog I probably wouldn't have known about it until I was in some big time trouble. Had the doctor done a culture or anything I would have gotten those lab results when a phone call came in about the MRI results. it is what it is. Il'll never know the story.en right now I've been sneezing and having a runny nose so I am going to get back to the doctor just to make sure things don't get out of control like they did before
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2015 07:48 AM by me50.)
05-18-2015 06:02 AM
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Other Comments:

Good idea. Good luck.
05-18-2015 07:16 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

(05-18-2015 06:02 AM)me50 Wrote:  I will stand straight from the doctors office to get the MRI the doc said she would not do anything with my ear because she didn't know if I had a ruptured eardrum or not answer me to get any blood work I would have had to go to the lab to do that and I did not go to a lab Dr didn't even look in my ear because it was too swollen and yeah I think I've had this ear issue for a long time and I don't know when the infection started but I do know that if I had nodded leaned over to pet my dog I probably wouldn't have known about it until I was in some big time trouble and had the doctor done a culture or anything I would have gotten those lab results when a phone call came in about the MRI results it is what it is I'll never know the story even right now I've been sneezing and having a runny nose so I am going to get back to the doctor just to make sure things don't get out of control like they did before

Difficult to read when there is no punctuation.

05-18-2015 07:19 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  If you snore, blame it on traffic fumes: People who live close to busy roads found to icyura10 3 229 08-30-2016 11:41 PM
Last Post: chill
Ohmy Why are people starting sentences with the word "So..."? SuperSleeper 57 3,664 05-27-2016 07:10 PM
Last Post: me50
  Don't honk at old people zonk 7 2,814 08-09-2012 12:34 AM
Last Post: Schnauzers 5