Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Measurements
Measurements
The pressure units we use in CPAP are set in centimeters of water. I kinda wondered just what that meant. How does, say, 10cm from my APAP machine compare to the ambient atmospheric pressure we experience all the time.

1cm of water is the pressure required to raise the level of water in a tube by one centimeter. A manometer is of course just basically a tube full of water with lines on it.

Well, a hint on a Television program sent me to the web and some research and it turns out that 1cm of H2O is very close to one hectopascal in the "metric" system (actually S.I. system).

A hecotpascal is also very close to the meterological measurement of one millibar and the normal sea level air pressure is fairly close to 1000 millibars and thus to 1000 hectopascals as well.

So 1cm of water turns out to be about 1/1000 of the "normal" sea level pressure of our atmosphere.

If your hose blowing 10cm of pressure into your face feels fairly stiff (and it does to me) it is actually an increase of about 1% of standard sea level atmospheric pressure, which seems surprisingly small in that light.

I don't know the importance of this, but I found it interesting anyway...maybe some of you will too.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Measurements
FWIW, German measurements in CPAP world are all in mBars. Their sleep studies and their equipment all list pressure in mBars.

Since U.S. is not on metric system, cwp seems like a nice unit.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-01-2015, 02:58 PM)AshSF Wrote: FWIW, German measurements in CPAP world are all in mBars. Their sleep studies and their equipment all list pressure in mBars.

Since U.S. is not on metric system, cwp seems like a nice unit.

Centimeters H2O is metric. Huh
Post Reply Post Reply
New math... never know when it will get you.
[size=x-small]Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) BiLevel Auto
Post Reply Post Reply
Eseedhouse, thanks for the info. Interesting
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Varying measurements from AS11 and Oxymeter fuzz 8 396 02-02-2024, 03:55 PM
Last Post: fuzz
  Need to know how to integrate o2 measurements into OSCAR Morgannon 6 699 05-30-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Morgannon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.