Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Measuring CPAP Pressure with AG Industries Manometer Kit
Measuring CPAP Pressure with AG Industries Manometer Kit
I have the AG Industries Manometer Kit-K1. It has an adapter that connects inline with the CPAP hose and mask. My question is the pressure varies with breathing. I have a ResMed S9 Elite and a Respironics Comfort Gel Blue full face mask. If the machine is supposedly set to 12 cmH20 should the manometer read that pressure as the maximum? There is a built in leak in the mask. If I block the vent should the blocked line pressure read 12 cmH20? Thanks, Bob.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Measuring CPAP Pressure with AG Industries Manometer Kit
(02-15-2016, 01:43 AM)BobF Wrote: If the machine is supposedly set to 12 cmH20 should the manometer read that pressure as the maximum?

It should read 12 when inhaling. If you have EPR set to zero it should also read 12 when exhaling.

Quote:If I block the vent should the blocked line pressure read 12 cmH20?

I'm not sure how the machine would respond. I wouldn't recommend trying that!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2016, 02:59 AM)Sleepster Wrote:
(02-15-2016, 01:43 AM)BobF Wrote: If the machine is supposedly set to 12 cmH20 should the manometer read that pressure as the maximum?

It should read 12 when inhaling. If you have EPR set to zero it should also read 12 when exhaling.

Hi. OK. Thanks, Bob.

Post Reply Post Reply
It may be necessary to hold your breath momentarily to get a true reading since the pressure regulation response time isn't instantaneous.

Some people test the pressure by putting the supply hose deep into a container of water and slowly withdrawing it until bubbles appear, then measuring the length of the immersed section. Not extremely accurate but good enough.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
I had my machine checked by my DME - 6 month checkup. I believe the manometer they used did not have any venting. OTOH, the shorty from my Wisp could be adapted easily, and would include the venting.

I don't know how much difference it would make, since I believe that centrifugal vane fans are used. They survive low and zero flows quite nicely.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2016, 12:30 PM)BobF Wrote:
(02-15-2016, 02:59 AM)Sleepster Wrote:

Hi. OK. Thanks, Bob.

I bought a new AG Industries analog pressure gauge that reads 0-30 cmH20. The instructions say to read the blocked line pressure. It reads 10 cmH20 which is low as it is set to 12.4 cmH20. My AHI's have drastically changed recently. I took it to the DME that originally supplied the CPAP machine. They said it was OK but I do not trust them as the pressure I measured is lower than the setting. I am going to my new DME supplier ASAP and watch them as they test it. My S9 was obtained in 2012 and has been used at least 4 hours every night so there are a lot of hours on it. Has anyone else found that their S9 was not supplying the correct pressure? Can they be easily locally repaired?

Thanks, Bob.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  should I raise my CPAP pressure if 3AM spo2 is loow RichardW 12 244 Yesterday, 01:40 PM
Last Post: RichardW
  [CPAP] New CPAP User - Help Understanding CPAP data and Pressure Spikes Sleepin 3 148 04-12-2024, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Pressure] Request Recommendation for a Dial Manometer Samwrites 4 180 03-24-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Pressure] What Cpap pressure should I use? uarspatient2023 1 268 03-02-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Pressure] Help interpreting low AHI after reducing CPAP pressure? grrrrr 2 313 02-21-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: grrrrr
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 500 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Dizziness and ear pressure/fullness after using cpap dizzy1 0 204 02-10-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: dizzy1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.