Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Sex: Male

Medi-Cal
As some may know, I live in California. I live with my former wife; and she permits her 39 year old son to live here with free food and he pays no rent. It's not the way I would handle things.

He works seldom. It's too hot; or the work is too hard; or he "deserves" more money for his time. It interferes with his social schedule and his time yacking on the phone.

With the ACA now law, he's applied for Medi-Cal. They denied his application. Perhaps because they wish to know about other people in the home. I have no legal ties to him. And, at 39, I would guess neither does his mother. I interpret the questions about "other people in your household" to apply to dependents he would put on his tax filing -- if he had dependents.

Has anyone else run into this issue? No way in heck I'm providing a scintilla of information to the state or county concerning my assets or income.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
08-22-2015 11:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Medi-Cal
you shouldn't have to provide any information as he doesn't support you. I don't know about California that is or used to be a generous state for welfare benefits, but in our state, our income or other household information would not have to be revealed for other ADULTS living in the home. Hope someone can help you out. If he has already been denied, you shouldn't have to be concerned about providing information, especially since he doesn't support you or your former wife. When in doubt, call and ask on Monday.
08-22-2015 01:27 PM
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

Just my opinion, but allowing her son to do that is the most hateful thing a parent could do to a child. The parent "feels" like they are "loving" their child, giving them such so much and requiring them to do very little. But the truth is that it's teaching him (even this late in life) that his actions don't have consequences and that eventhough he's able to work, he doesn't have to work in order to have lodging and meals in perpetuity. That will destroy her son in time.

Now, if he's working around the house, cleaning, cooking, doing yard work, repairs on the house and putting in his fair share of work in order to "pay" for his room and board, that's another thing. But if he's not doing anything of value around the house, not bringing much income into the household, etc., then allowing him to stay and eat for any more than a few weeks until he finds a job (any job) is going to cause him to be a worthless bum in time.

"...we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat" - II Thessalonians 3:10.

And I agree with you Mongo, I wouldn't' give the gubbermint any of my personal info either.

Like I said, just my opinions. Sorry if I'm overly blunt.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

08-22-2015 05:43 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)

(08-22-2015 05:43 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:  Just my opinion, but allowing her son to do that is the most hateful thing a parent could do to a child. The parent "feels" like they are "loving" their child, giving them such so much and requiring them to do very little. But the truth is that it's teaching him (even this late in life) that his actions don't have consequences and that eventhough he's able to work, he doesn't have to work in order to have lodging and meals in perpetuity. That will destroy her son in time.

Now, if he's working around the house, cleaning, cooking, doing yard work, repairs on the house and putting in his fair share of work in order to "pay" for his room and board, that's another thing. But if he's not doing anything of value around the house, not bringing much income into the household, etc., then allowing him to stay and eat for any more than a few weeks until he finds a job (any job) is going to cause him to be a worthless bum in time.

"...we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat" - II Thessalonians 3:10.

And I agree with you Mongo, I wouldn't' give the gubbermint any of my personal info either.

Like I said, just my opinions. Sorry if I'm overly blunt.

We are on the same page. It's too late to reverse his course. I had to give up some years ago. And, if I may be blunt, he is a primary reason why his mom and I are divorced.

I was looking for that quote from Thessalonians to show him. I knew Paul had written it.

08-22-2015 06:43 PM
DariaVader Offline
Apnea Board Facebook Editor
Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10 for Her
Humidifier: H5i humidifier with ClimateLine heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 8-15

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

Sex: Female

I believe it depends on whether or not you are claiming him as a dependent on your taxes. If you are not, then he is not a member of your household. Sounds to me like what you have is 3 independent households (or 2 if he is a dependent of his mother's) in a communal living situation.

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
08-23-2015 12:35 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

(08-23-2015 12:35 PM)DariaVader Wrote:  I believe it depends on whether or not you are claiming him as a dependent on your taxes. If you are not, then he is not a member of your household. Sounds to me like what you have is 3 independent households (or 2 if he is a dependent of his mother's) in a communal living situation.

He's not claimed on anyone's taxes. I agree that there are 3 independent people living under one roof. However, one of those people does not contribute to the finances required to maintain the home: utilities, property taxes, food, maintenance.

08-23-2015 12:50 PM
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto 560 with A Flex
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 For Her
Humidifier: REMStar heated humidifier with heated hose
CPAP Pressure: Auto Cpap 10-13 AFLEX 1
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Started CPAP Therapy October 23, 2014

(08-23-2015 12:35 PM)DariaVader Wrote:  I believe it depends on whether or not you are claiming him as a dependent on your taxes. If you are not, then he is not a member of your household. Sounds to me like what you have is 3 independent households (or 2 if he is a dependent of his mother's) in a communal living situation.

Isn't he too old to be a dependent?
Unless he were ill or handicapped in some way.

I had the experience of my youngest daughter and her husband selling their first home with no other house to move to, so they moved in with us. Sad
I did offer, but it ended up being a year! But at least they paid for food, and the water bill, but once your children move out, it's not fun having them move back in.

justMongo, I feel your pain!

OpalRose
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2015 12:55 PM by OpalRose.)
08-23-2015 12:53 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DariaVader Offline
Monitors

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

you can claim another adult as a dependent if they are a "Qualifying Relative" - but then they are part of your household for any kind of aid qualification.

08-23-2015 01:03 PM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

(08-23-2015 01:03 PM)DariaVader Wrote:  you can claim another adult as a dependent if they are a "Qualifying Relative" - but then they are part of your household for any kind of aid qualification.

I am not a CPA or tax attorney; but I believe his mother could claim him as a dependent because she provides over 50% of his support.
(I think that's the IRS test...)

08-23-2015 02:19 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DariaVader Offline
Monitors

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p17/ch03...1000170933

Gross Income Test
To meet this test, a person's gross income for the year must be less than $3,950.

However if his mother does claim him it may affect his eligibility for aid, depending on her income. --- However, not yours

(This post was last modified: 08-23-2015 02:29 PM by DariaVader.)
08-23-2015 02:29 PM