Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Medical Alert Bracelet with Link to Medical History/Info
(02-25-2014 11:44 AM)ImaSurvivor Wrote:  I purchased a really nice breast cancer awareness survival strap. I haven't taken it off in over a year. Made from same material as parachute cords. In an emergency, they are designed to be able to be cut and unraveled for use. There are testimonies on the site of how people have used their straps in emergencies. Google "Survival Straps" and you will find the site. They have a huge inventory of colored awareness straps, charities straps, officially licensed designs, and they have medical alert straps. You can design your own medical alert survival strap or you can get a standard one. Private message me if anyone wants me to send them the URL to their inbox.

Most of their bracelets aren't big enough for my wrist (I need them loose) but they have some cool dog collars.

I looked at their medical versions and their customization is cool. You can say "Look in my wallet" or whatever, even just list conditions if short enough. Prices really are not that bad! MedicAlert has gotten expensive lately. And, in my opinion, kinda gaudy. If it weren't for their sports bracelets, I'd probably not have joined.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
02-25-2014 08:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
cbramsey Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage FX
Humidifier: ResMed H5i with ClimateLine
CPAP Pressure: 6 - 12
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Supreme Overlord of Web Darkness

Sex: Male

I use MedicAlert myself. Haven't had to use them but it is cheap insurance.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
02-26-2014 08:47 AM
ImaSurvivor Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Auto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Swift FX
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier, ClimateLine Tubing
CPAP Pressure: 10
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Moderate Sleep Apnea, Began using CPAP 11/27/2013

Sex: Female

PaulaO2 and anyone else interested these straps are made-to-order for sizes needed.

When I ordered my survival strap, I had to measure my wrist. There are instructions on the site how to measure. They make them sized-to-order and are made of several feet of woven parachute cord. In an emergency the straps can be snipped and unraveled to use as ropes for emergencies. When they make the straps, they deliberately leave them with a little slack in them too. They form to your wrist after wearing them for some time. I wear mine through the shower, swimming, etc. For the medical alert, it has a metal plate where medical information is engraved. Also they have a neat clasp system. A little pin slides into an adjustable 3 position clasp. They send a metal pin and also a 'break away' plastic pin designed to break should the bracelet be accidentally caught on something to prevent injury. It is a nice safety feature. They send one of each pin with straps so customers can choose what they want to use. I use the plastic one and have worn mine every day for 15 months now.

They have a stories page on their site. If anyone needs to use their strap in an emergency they are encouraged to send in their story and their straps will be replaced for free. There are some pretty neat stories there of how individuals have needed to use their straps in emergencies.

I don't have the medical alert bracelet. I have a breast cancer awareness strap which is bright pink and a lighter color pink that weaves through it and then forms the breast cancer ribbon. They have many different awareness straps with different colors. Some folks have custom bracelets made. They claim to have 50,000 color combinations to choose from. Some groups have their own straps designed for various reasons. One of my favorite stories is about a man who trained many individuals for search and rescue who serve in disaster zones. He died of cancer. Many of the guys he trained had straps designed in memory of him.
02-26-2014 09:53 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Good news: No link between coffee consumption and common type of irregular heartbeat DeepBreathing 13 938 12-13-2015 06:44 PM
Last Post: JohnnyH
  [News] Hospital Medical Devices Used as Weapons in Cyberattacks AlanE 0 329 06-09-2015 01:54 PM
Last Post: AlanE
  Medical Tag Eurika 7 1,375 11-10-2014 07:57 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Angry I noted the medical device tax was applied to my last DME supplies justMongo 0 655 05-12-2014 08:51 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  [News] Detroit goes bankrupt, largest municipal filing in U.S. history ApneaNews 8 2,083 10-19-2013 04:32 AM
Last Post: me50
  [News] Medical Bills - You CAN fight them ApneaNews 0 1,025 07-21-2013 05:22 PM
Last Post: ApneaNews
  Is there a "Medical Mafia"? archangle 30 7,503 06-26-2013 04:06 PM
Last Post: Shastzi