Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Medical Supply Costs
RE: Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here
(06-18-2014, 01:41 PM)Sleepster Wrote: During your sleep study did you swallow any air? Were you diagnosed with central or mixed sleep apnea?

I don't know to both those questions - all the Sleep doc said was severe sleep apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Medical Supply Costs
If you had swallowed air you would have been burping or farting or had abdominal or intestinal discomfort or pain.

If you had central or mixed apnea the doctor should have told you, but just to be sure you should look at the sleep study results yourself.

Also, if you had trouble exhaling against the pressure they would have switched you to a BiPAP during the sleep study and the doctor would now be prescribing a BiPAP (a bilevel machine) with two pressure settings, one for inhaling and a lower one for exhaling.

If you had any of these problems it would indicate the need for something fancier than a regular CPAP machine. If you had none of these problems then it's a less risky bet that you can get by with a auto adjusting CPAP machine such as the ResMed S9 Autoset or the PRS1 Model 560P or 550P. The least expensive of these, and the one I would get if I were in your shoes, would be a used or new 550P.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Crazy isn't it ?. CPAP was a Aussie invention and ResMed the result of the development. Now it's heaps cheaper for me to import from the US than to buy locally. Go figure.

The prices they charge here in AU is not about manufacturing or operating cost, it's about retail price maintenance. This is strictly against the law here. Woolworths were heavily fined for the practice not so long ago. I have been told personally by a number of US DME's and I quote. "Resmed will cease supplying us if we send to Australia".
We are a virtually untapped marked & if they can keep the prices up here, they will make a real killing. This at our expense, of course, but who among them gives a toss about us? When I bought my S8 auto from my US supplier, it cost one third of the price here, a saving of $2000. at the time. Resmed will not supply replacement parts either and wanted $625 to repair it when it broke. Which was, by coincidence, the exact price of a new machine in US. I didn't buy a Resmed this time. This is Balloney!

[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2014, 12:46 AM)woozie38 Wrote: I have been told personally by a number of US DME's and I quote. "Resmed will cease supplying us if we send to Australia".
Its Resmed policy and if not mistaken Respironcis policy too
Suppliers who ship outside US are not accredited outlets and they don,t get their machines directly from either Resmed or Respironcis, they must have other sources, US is a huge market

Not only Resmed, all manufacturers do just the same ripping off Aussies including Chinese manufacturers

Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Not only Resmed, all manufacturers do just the same ripping off Aussies including Chinese manufacturers

My Icon+ auto cost less than half of what AU suppliers ask even with shipping so F&P must have a similar policy too.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well my Aussie friends, I have seen it first hand go the other direction too. I was employed for a company in the US extracting magnesium from the brine in the Great Salt Lake. The domestic price for commercially pure magnesium ingot was 40% more than the export market. In order to participate in the export market we had to meet the prices set by other global sellers. If we could have we would have sold to the export market at the same as the domestic price but nobody in the global market was going to pay that when they could get it much cheaper price. The extraction process is one that does not enable one to increase and decrease production at will. If one were to take X production units off line today and then a week from now decide to fire them back up,it would be the better part of a year before they were back on line.

It could be the same type of situation in the CPAP business. If the manufacturers want to participate in the US market (apparently The largest market in the world) they must be priced competitively in the US market. It is kind of like medium sized manufacturers drooling over the prospect of supplying one of the automakers.

Any way I do sympathize.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
From: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ing-Policy
See post #1 for the link posted by SuperSleper

Policy definition:
As a US homecare dealer, you are only permitted and authorized to resell, rent, lease or otherwise distribute (collectively, “Resell”) Philips Respironics products to end-users residing in the United States. You are specifically prohibited from Reselling products to end-users residing outside the United States or to end-users whom you know, or have reason to know, intend to Resell, directly or indirectly, Philips Respironics products to end-users residing outside the United States. If you Resell Philips Respironics products via the internet, catalog, print advertisement or elsewhere, you are responsible for ensuring that all products are shipped only to end- users residing in the United States.

Consequences of policy violation:
If you violate this policy, Philips Respironics will require you to stop the prohibited international sales activities. Should you fail to correct the situation immediately after receiving notice of the violation from Philips Respironics, Philips Respironics will discontinue the sale of one or more Philips Respironics products to you for a period of no less than three (3) months upon the first violation. If there are any subsequent violations by you, Philips Respironics will discontinue the sale of one or more Philips Respironics products to you for a period of no less than twelve (12) months

As you can see manufactures fix prices in US too but they cannot set prices more what insurances companies prepared to pay for such devices (they would if they could) otherwise they cannot do business in US
Insurance are the main player in US CPAP market (largest in the world) and laws exists in US prohibit the sales of CPAP without a prescription

So they fix prices higher in Australia and elsewhere to compensate for lower US prices. You need to buy in bulk to sell something cheap, there is no big suppliers chain in Australia, not much hope for Woolworth or Costco Australia filling the gap
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:So they fix prices higher in Australia and elsewhere to compensate for lower US prices. You need to buy in bulk to sell something cheap, there is no big suppliers chain in Australia, not much hope for Woolworth or Costco Australia filling the gap

I see eBay has cancelled all listings of CPAP machines on the grounds that a prescription is required for their purchase. All gone...every last one. Ebay's policy statement doesn't mention this or CPAP specifically. It's hard not to believe that manufacturers of machines had a hand in the eBay decision too. Google ebay's policy on medical devices.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2014, 06:01 PM)woozie38 Wrote:
Quote:So they fix prices higher in Australia and elsewhere to compensate for lower US prices. You need to buy in bulk to sell something cheap, there is no big suppliers chain in Australia, not much hope for Woolworth or Costco Australia filling the gap

I see eBay has cancelled all listings of CPAP machines on the grounds that a prescription is required for their purchase. All gone...every last one. Ebay's policy statement doesn't mention this or CPAP specifically. It's hard not to believe that manufacturers of machines had a hand in the eBay decision too. Google ebay's policy on medical devices

Yes Woozie38 I noticed the same thing a few weeks ago. I wasn't sure of the reason, just couldn't find a CPAP machine anywhere.
I know I tried to sell a brand new mask that hadn't been opened, because when I received it did not like the look (did not do my homework properly) they said I needed a special Gov. No. as it was a Health product.
I went to Gumtree and sold it no problems, which surprised me, I thought I would be met with the same laws.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does Medicare Require An Annual Recertification of Medical Necessity? AndyB 10 965 11-17-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: AndyB
  Which cable for portable power supply? AndyJay2023 1 661 07-21-2023, 03:34 AM
Last Post: HappySailor
  My medical provider called me, they want to schedule my titration study. Should I go? Phil487 8 1,069 07-06-2023, 01:18 PM
Last Post: RNeil
  Rant about insurance, sleep study, and costs Stuff 8 1,144 06-20-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  Navigating medical leave zoraa 2 465 06-04-2023, 12:25 PM
Last Post: zoraa
  Low cost 12v - 24v power supply for SEFAM S.Box Kingsway 1 763 05-29-2023, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  [Equipment] Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) Backup for ResMed AirCurve 10? GregB777 1 744 01-06-2023, 01:40 AM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.