Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Medicare CPAP for Forgetful Senior
RE: Medicare CPAP for Forgetful Senior
(01-16-2022, 12:20 PM)Ratchick Wrote: Again, things like hoses, tanks, filters etc might be covered by Medicare/Insurance, too.

Medicare does cover the above items. The usage requirement is at least 4 hrs per day for at least 21days out of 30 consecutive days. They allow 90 days, not just 30 to meet the requirement. It an be any 30 consecutive days during the 90 day period.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
The first 90 days are proving compliance, as in usage that Melman mentions. Usage counts, actual results or settings aren't necessarily considered to them. To you and the senior user, they do.

The mask and machine should be your choice not the doctor. Doc isn't the one using it, your senior person is and you're so to speak designated to make the decision. Approach it this way, you're deciding ResMed AutoSet and whichever mask you choose. And the (supplier) DME's name is your choice too. Tell the doc your choices and have him add that in the script with the words DAW (Dispense As Written). DAW eliminates the DME from substituting anything.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I purchased a Fisher & Paykel SleepStyle shortly after the Philips recall and I love it.  I was a new CPAP user and had the DreamStation 1 for only two months when the recall was announced.  I bought the SleepStyle about a month later because of the uncertainty of when the DreamStation would be repaired or replaced.  Fortunately, I purchased my SleepStyle (without a modem) for $700 before CPAP prices went up.  I immediately had greatly improved AHI numbers with the SleepStyle and I found it much simpler and easier to use than the Philips DreamStation.  I received a replacement DreamStation 2 a couple of months after I purchased the SleepStyle and I gave it a try for a few nights.  My AHI numbers were higher at the same pressure settings and the DreamStation 2 was more difficult to use, particularly because of its poorly designed humidifier.  Additionally, the SleepStyle became compatible with OSCAR shortly after I purchased it, and the DreamStation 2 has yet to be adapted to OSCAR.  As a result, I went back to the SleepStyle after a few nights and I use the DreamStation as a backup and secondary device.  I strongly recommend consideration of the Fisher & Paykel SleepStyle.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you to all of you. This is very helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are members on this board who sell low-usage-hours and/or brand new CPAP machines.  Perhaps one of them will come along an offer you a solution. FWIW, I understand that the broken supply chain is indeed the problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
Pursuant to Rule#3, sales of CPAP or any prescription required device is prohibited.

Rule #3:
No member may use their forum account to offer, mediate or solicit the sale, trade, or transfer of any prescription-required items (such as CPAP machines, CPAP humidifiers, CPAP masks, CPAP hoses or the individual parts that make up such items).* Offering, mediating, soliciting or facilitating the sale, trade, or transfer of commercially-sold or pirated computer software packages or digital media is also prohibited. Members using a forum account for promoting spam of any kind will be banned.

Please check your facts before making any further posts.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
@OP - IMO, the Full Face Mask should be avoided because the senior may find the headgear confusing, compared to the nasal pillows. FFMs have more straps and are more complex to adjust than Nasal Pillows or Nasal Masks. Although the FFM hay have some advantages from a CPAP point of view, the overriding factor in this case is useability form the senior's point of view. If the senior won't use a given mask because it is too complicated, that's what matters most.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was under the impression that it could take months to get a CPAP machine. Then today the supplier contacted me to say they have a machine and want to send the respiratory therapist. But it is a Luna 2 by 3B machine.

Oscar does not work with this machine. So I guess I will not be able to see the data.

I partly feel that I should just take it, see if the senior actually uses it, and if necessary I can always buy a different machine later.

On the Luna 2 web page it says, "Your Doctor Can Easily Retrieve Therapy Data-No Appointment Necessary: Attend fewer doctor appointments with a convenient option to share your therapy data with your physician over Wi-Fi. If preferred, you can deactivate this setting and track your therapy data on your PC instead and review results with your doctor in person. If you're mobile-savvy, you can scan your sleep apnea therapy data to your QR Code app once a session concludes and receive instant access to your therapy data on your smartphone."
Maybe that will be helpful.

What do you think?
Post Reply Post Reply
The Luna provides its own software for this device. It is not supported by OSCAR. As far as accepting it, I guess something is better than nothing.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
The 3B Luna machines are a Chinese manufactured unit that I would not personally accept. They are a low price-point alternative for a supplier to sell, and make the full amount the Medicare pays. Call a different DME that accepts assignment in your area. Here is how to search for Medicare providers in your area. https://www.medicare.gov/medical-equipment-suppliers/

You want to find a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset CPAP machine. Find the supplier that will provide it, and let the supplier you are currently working with know that a Luna 2 Chinese CPAP is not acceptable. There are good CPAP machines available, but the Philips Respironics recall has increased demand relative to supply to the extent that the machines can be sold for more money than can be invoiced from Medicare. We used to buy the Airsense 10 Autoset for under $500 a couple years ago, and before the Philips recall they were routinely under $800 new. Now suppliers are getting $1200 to $1500 from people willing to pay. So you can get this machine, but you may have to call around and find a supplier that is not trying to sell crap for gold prices.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medicare and Sleep Apnea Equipment chzuck 12 231 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  CPAP and Medicare and yearly Rx renewal silverchief2 8 278 04-08-2024, 06:58 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 224 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 259 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Medicare & Re-Ordering Supplies oneeyeopen 12 979 02-07-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirMini and Medicare (USA) bwilson4web 0 280 02-01-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: bwilson4web
  Wiki conflict on Medicare/CPAP ownership cps22 14 730 12-17-2023, 10:08 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.