Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Medicare Compliance Question
Medicare Compliance Question
I understand that Medicare compliance requires usage of a CPAP machine for a minimum of 4 hours a day for 70% of the time during the first 90 days.  I am past one year into using my CPAP machine and own the machine now.   

My question is, does Medicare continue that compliance requirement AFTER the 90 days, as far as having any impact on their continuing to pay for the masks, hoses, etc.?  I should add that my compliance is very good (thanks in large part to honing in on the right mask and other helpful tips I learned from this forum), but there are times (short trips away from home, etc.) that I would feel okay skipping some days if it wouldn't affect Medicare coverage of those items.

Do I need to worry about this??   Huh
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Medicare Compliance Question
No need to worry. As I understand it, the compliance requirement is just to prove you are actually using the machine that they are paying for. You now own it. Just keep on with your good compliance for your own health! Good job!
Post Reply Post Reply
If you change types of machines, ie CPAP to a BiPAP, the compliance clock restarts. Going thru that with my wife.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your helpful answers!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2022, 02:27 PM)Homerec130 Wrote: If you change types of machines, ie CPAP to a BiPAP, the compliance clock restarts. Going thru that with my wife.

what about the 5 year replacement does that retrigger the clock?
Post Reply Post Reply
I recently replaced my machine after 6 years and had to demonstrate compliance again. It e\was no problem since I was already accustomed to the treatment and 100% compliant.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
What if you were on cpap for 5 yrs and since your were up for machine replacement, switched to bipap and just provided DME with a script stating which bipap machine.  Would Medicare cover this?

Would you own it?  Or start on your 13 month rental again?
Post Reply Post Reply
Normally, when you change machine types, example: Apap to BiPap, Medicare may require you to prove "necessity" by getting a sleep study done.

Many DME's won't process a change from Apap to BiPap without a new study done, even with a Doctor's script. Many Doctors know this. But there's always an exception.
If your doctor files paperwork to your insurance stating "necessity" for the change, and insurance approves it, then you are further ahead with the DME.

With the start of another machine after five years, compliance starts over.

Under Medicare and most other insurers, you would own the first machine after the 13 month rental.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks  OpalRose !    Very helpful!
Post Reply Post Reply
Opal, thanx for jumping in with the update.

In my case, when I got my new machine I also rolled over my insurance to Medicare as primary and my old primary as the secondary so I needed a new sleep study. My sleep doc and I talked about and made plans. I was on my old machine for almost 6 years before I had the new sleep study.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 149 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 201 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Medicare & Re-Ordering Supplies oneeyeopen 12 871 02-07-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirMini and Medicare (USA) bwilson4web 0 251 02-01-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: bwilson4web
  How do YOU report Resmed CPAP data for compliance silverchief2 21 1,449 12-17-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Wiki conflict on Medicare/CPAP ownership cps22 14 669 12-17-2023, 10:08 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.