Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Medicare Coverage
Medicare Coverage
I have had sleep apnea for 26 years. I cannot fall asleep without the cpap being at proper pressure. Therefore, when I had my most recent sleep study I showed no apnea episodes. According to the most recent Medicare rules this means I do not have apnea and they will not pay for a new machine or any supplies. What do I do now? Any suggestions? Has anyone else run afoul of the new Medicare rules?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Medicare Coverage
Was the no apnea events with or without a machine?

Medicare has an appeal process. I'd start that, especially if you've gotten a letter from them stating it or if the supplier has told you this.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-22-2012, 12:18 PM)apnea earlybird Wrote: I have had sleep apnea for 26 years. I cannot fall asleep without the cpap being at proper pressure. Therefore, when I had my most recent sleep study I showed no apnea episodes. According to the most recent Medicare rules this means I do not have apnea and they will not pay for a new machine or any supplies. What do I do now? Any suggestions? Has anyone else run afoul of the new Medicare rules?

Hi apnea earlybird, welcome to the forum!

If you do not have a copy of the Sleep Study report, you are entitled to one and should ask for one.

You will of course have a hard time falling asleep with much less than the 17 cmH2O pressure you are used to.

I think you will need to appeal the denial of coverage, pointing out that the sleep study was improperly done (if there was no baseline test done *without* PAP) and did *not* show that PAP treatment was not needed. Instead at most it only showed that no apneas occurred when using PAP, and that PAP may be needed to avoid apnea events. It cannot be used to conclude that PAP is not needed. If the first appeal is denied, hang in there and appeal again at the next higher level. Hopefully, your doctor will be assisting you in all this.

Perhaps you can request a home titration for a month using an Auto machine (a model for which you can look at the data using your software), with its max pressure set above 17 and its minimum pressure set not lower than maybe 10 for first few days or until you are used to it, then progressively lowering the minimum pressure in steps of 2 cmH2O each few days until apneas start showing up.

Also, were you sleeping on your back at all during the Study? That is a common cause of more apnea events, and if you did not sleep on your back a significant amount of time during the Sleep Study, that may be another reason you could point out the Study was invalid, because (at least in the USA, I think) for the results to be valid, a certain amount of time during the Sleep Study should be spent sleeping on your back (in the "supine" position).

Another path may be to pick up a used machine from Supplier #2 on the supplier list, if you need to pay out of pocket.

Best of luck to you in your efforts to get all this straightened out. Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-22-2012, 12:18 PM)apnea earlybird Wrote: I have had sleep apnea for 26 years. I cannot fall asleep without the cpap being at proper pressure. Therefore, when I had my most recent sleep study I showed no apnea episodes. According to the most recent Medicare rules this means I do not have apnea and they will not pay for a new machine or any supplies. What do I do now? Any suggestions? Has anyone else run afoul of the new Medicare rules?

26 years Huh then your visit here is long overdue. And I thought I was the one with the longest duration. Welcome The obvious news is that sleep studies are not perfect. I had one recently and it went all wrong. I had trouble breathing while falling asleep which seemed to be ignored and it rated my pressure at the same as it always was.
That was too much for me to bear and I pleaded with my otolaryngologist for a follow up appointment. I borrowed an auto CPAP from VitalAire, my service provider and it showed that the sleep study was way off. Like I wasn't the only one asleep there if you know what I mean. Oops After keeping concise records for the three weeks I had the machine it was obvious I was all over the place with my CPAP pressure needs. I forwarded this information to VitalAire and to my family doctor and finally I got an appointment again.

So what I mean is, a single sleep study is not always reliable! Ohwell It's been said, probably quite often here, that you know yourself better than anyone else. I had to bug people (some hard evidence did help) until they listened. I hope you can do the same. It seems some want the easy way out rather than giving a proper diagnosis. Like what is this world coming to? crygreen So don't give up and I hope someone has enough brains to listen for once.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi apnea earlybird,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
What everyone has said so far.
Best of luck to you during this very trying time.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-22-2012, 02:43 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi apnea earlybird,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
What everyone has said so far.
Best of luck to you during this very trying time.
Does anyone know how often Medicare will pay to replace the seal and cushion on my mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-22-2012, 07:58 PM)hunningsedaniel Wrote: Does anyone know how often Medicare will pay to replace the seal and cushion on my mask?

Hi hunningsedaniel, welcome to the forum!

Check out our wiki. For info on Medicare in the USA, start here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...6_Medicare

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-22-2012, 07:58 PM)hunningsedaniel Wrote: Does anyone know how often Medicare will pay to replace the seal and cushion on my mask?
1 full face mask per 3 month and 1 full face cushion per month
http://www.healthcare.philips.com/pwc_hc..._Hints.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 154 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 204 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Medicare & Re-Ordering Supplies oneeyeopen 12 871 02-07-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirMini and Medicare (USA) bwilson4web 0 251 02-01-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: bwilson4web
  Wiki conflict on Medicare/CPAP ownership cps22 14 671 12-17-2023, 10:08 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Medicare (US) and CPAPs KSMatthew 4 383 12-16-2023, 10:24 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Does Medicare Require An Annual Recertification of Medical Necessity? AndyB 10 961 11-17-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: AndyB

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.