Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Medicare Denial
RE: Medicare Denial
Hmm Sad I was diagnosed with Sleep Anea back in late June/early July of this year. Did a sleep study and all that and was told I had the problem.The doctor suggested a clinic not too far from where his practice is situated and I went there.I was on a manual machine for awhile and then got switched to the "Resmed Airsense 10". Medicare did not refund me any of the purchase price of the machine ($3,000.00) and only refunded the sleep study ( $500.00 ) Feel a bit ripped off here but I suppose that's progress nowadays Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a footnote. The OP is in the US and the US has a program called Medicare.
Australia also has a program called Medicare.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Bigwink A Big Thanks to everyone who responded. It is great to have somewhere you can discuss your sleep problems.

All of your suggestions are great. Some things I left out or am answering.

1. My doctor did test my hormone levels and I am not in replacement therapy. He said the next logical reason for high hemocrit count is when oxygen levels drop and the body tries to make more red blood cells to compensate.
2. I did put this in my Doctors hands. His head nurse has been making phone calls for at least 2 weeks.
3 The calls from my DME said at first that I had been selected to receive the Resmed Autosence 10 , no real mention of Medicare approval. She then said I had to wait for Medicare final approval. The second call she just said I was denied because I didn't see the Doctor "face to Face" before he wrote the order. I explained that I did see him & she said it had to be less than 6 months.
4.My Doctor wrote a new order the last week of July but it was by phone. Then I had a home sleep study, which I failed, and an in hospital titration test. With the denial these are the only bills I may have to pay. The next round would be paid. The machine & accessories should be covered completely between Medicare and my top of the line Plus Plan.
5.To Tony Brown I feel so bad for you. Who could have seen that 3K bill coming. I guess you can't get a replacement for any reason until the time limit is up.
6.I will be away from my computer until Saturday or Sunday. I will reply to new posts after that.
Your Friend Kidnap
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-15-2015, 08:25 PM)Kidnap Wrote: Bigwink A Big Thanks to everyone who responded. It is great to have somewhere you can discuss your sleep problem.
To Tony Brown : I feel so bad for you. Who could have seen that 3K bill coming. I guess you can't get a replacement for any reason until the time limit is up.
Hi "Kidnap" Here in Oz we have Medicare which is the public health insurance program and is subsidised by the Goverment.Then we also have a lot of Private Insurance Health Schemes which you have to pay for.
At the moment,I'm paying about $1700.00/year for one of these and as I said,it did not reimburse me a single plugged nickel for the machine Sad

Post Reply Post Reply
Make an appointment to see your doctor face-to-face to confirm that it is helping you and file an appeal. Mention that you didn't KNOW you were supposed to see the doctor again within a specified period of time. In addition, mention in your appeal letter than it makes no sense to go through the sleep lab again because that has been done AND diagnosed! This is all new to you and Medicare nor the DME provided you with detailed information as to what you were supposed to do when. You are not an experienced CPAP patient. You needed guidance and others failed to provide said guidance.

You are getting wrong information from a jackass. Medicare never requires you to go through testing AGAIN when tests already done have provided a diagnosis. Imagine if you had to have another CT scan? Ridiculous.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-15-2015, 11:18 AM)justMongo Wrote: Just a footnote. The OP is in the US and the US has a program called Medicare.
Australia also has a program called Medicare.

As does Canada. In Australia and Canada I believe it covers everyone whereas in the USA it covers only those 65 or older. Well, I know for sure it covers everyone in Canada - I don't live in Australia.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Tony Brown wrote:I'm paying about $1700.00/year for one of these and as I said,it did not reimburse me a single plugged nickel for the machine.

My U.S. Medicare is $99.00 USD and my insurance is about $1200.00 USD per year but my old employer reimburses me $825.00 USD per year. It pays for everything Medicare doesn't UNLESS Medicare denies the claim. My Problem! I just have to wait until the Doctor exhausts his efforts then fight for myself.

Mosquitobait wrote: You are getting wrong information from a jackass.

YES. that would be my DME. I got to go around them.
Are the Mosquitoes in the great country of Canada really so big they have Red Crosses painted on their sides? lol

Thanks Again Guys.

PS: how do you get those neat quote boxes?

Your Friend Kidnap
Post Reply Post Reply
Kidnap,
At the top of this page, right side, click on HELP. You will find loads of helpful threads. Wink
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
to OpalRose thanks a million I'll check this out tomarrow. Bed time now without my CPAP.
Your Friend Kidnap
Post Reply Post Reply
Well ! It's been a year and a month since my U.S. Medicare "6 month rule" fiasco. A reminder I was denied a CPAP because I waited over 6 months between seeing my doctor and getting my tests. I had a total hip replacement soon after my doctor visit. I then ask if Medicare would pay to retest or if I had to wait a year. After being passed off from rep to rep, to DME and finally a DME manager. His only SOLUTION was go ahead take the test then we can determine if we'll pay or not. WHAT ! I could get stuck with approximately $7,000 USD if they said no. So I waited over a year. This Tuesday I saw my doctor "Face to Face" and last night I took the home apnea test. More to follow ...................
Your Friend Kidnap
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medicare and Sleep Apnea Equipment chzuck 12 226 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  CPAP and Medicare and yearly Rx renewal silverchief2 8 273 04-08-2024, 06:58 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 220 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 257 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Medicare & Re-Ordering Supplies oneeyeopen 12 975 02-07-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirMini and Medicare (USA) bwilson4web 0 279 02-01-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: bwilson4web
  Wiki conflict on Medicare/CPAP ownership cps22 14 729 12-17-2023, 10:08 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.