Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Medicare Denial
RE: Medicare Denial
My test results are in and my test showed AHI of 48 and SpO2 at 75%. This is better than last year but my doctor said it can change from day to day. I scheduled a titration study for Oct. 30, 2016. The hospital has a 4 bed lab and they are that busy. I was asked if I would take a cancellation, I said yes, but really!, a lot of people ahead of me probably said yes too.
I'll Keep you all informed.

Post Reply Post Reply
With the clinical sleep study Dx in hand, you may be able to re-submit for auto-CPAP and self titration. It's not hard to do, saves a lot of money, and would get you treatment faster. Figure you will have another potential delay after the titration study a month from now. Perhaps talk to your doctor and the DME about resubmitting the approval request for that Airsense 10 Autoset and see if you can move ahead of that curve. No denying now that you have severe obstructive sleep apnea and will require a machine and mask. If you can self-titrate successfully before the titration study, everyone wins.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I asked my DME they are impossible. It's been a year I hope one month won't kill me.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Your Friend Kidnap
Post Reply Post Reply
just to give you an idea, my sleep lab was booked for 3 months. Be ready they will call and say can you come in by 7pm or something, many don't answer or say no. for me it went from 3 months to under two weeks, called me when I was out to dinner at 6pm and asked if I could make it in by 7:30. no problem I said. Keep your phone charged and handy. They will not leave a message, answer or they are on to the next
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2015, 07:57 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: You said that you have a hemocrit of 52.2, but that is not diagnostic of OSA.

I have both an elevated HCT and RBC and it was suggested that there could be a relationship with sleep apnea.

You may wish to read http://www.sleepreviewmag.com/2015/07/sl...onnection/ and https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16770648.

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-03-2016, 04:35 AM)srlevine1 Wrote:
(09-14-2015, 07:57 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: You said that you have a hemocrit of 52.2, but that is not diagnostic of OSA.

I have both an elevated HCT and RBC and it was suggested that there could be a relationship with sleep apnea.

You may wish to read http://www.sleepreviewmag.com/2015/07/sl...onnection/ and https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16770648.

I posted that a while ago, and was not aware of the correlation. I also have mild polycythemia, but it arose from HRT. Was not aware of the apnea correlation. By itself it's not diagnostic, but i guess it is a strong co-morbidity. Thanks.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-03-2016, 02:05 AM)PoolQ Wrote: just to give you an idea, my sleep lab was booked for 3 months. Be ready they will call and say can you come in by 7pm or something, many don't answer or say no. for me it went from 3 months to under two weeks, called me when I was out to dinner at 6pm and asked if I could make it in by 7:30. no problem I said. Keep your phone charged and handy. They will not leave a message, answer or they are on to the next

The decision lies mostly with your doctor, not the supplier. They cannot order a sleep study. If your doctor writes the prescription for self-titration with auto CPAP, that is the order. All insurance wants is a Dx and subsequent compliance. Don't ask the DME, talk to the doc.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Well my pessimism was overwritten today. The sleep lab has an opening tonight. OK ! No caffeine today and all ready to go.

More to follow.
Your Friend Kidnap
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm home from the sleep study. The technician said I have complex apnea , sometimes called mixed apnea. I have both obstructive and central apnea. Instead of ordering a CPAP from my DME, he is sending the results to my pulmonary doctor to evaluate. I may need another night in the sleep lab to determine if a more advanced machine is necessary. My oxygen was low but more importantly my carbon dioxide level was high. I guess I'll wait and see.
Your Friend Kidnap
Post Reply Post Reply
The gold standard for complex apnea is a ASV bilevel machine (Adaptive Servo Ventilator). It uses a normal bilevel pressure (IPAP/EPAP) when you are spontaneously breathing, but can implement a higher IPAP pressure when you do not initiate a breath on your own, overcoming the central apnea. The machines are considerably more expensive, and it's harder to get insurance approval. Often, insurance requires you be issued CPAP and demonstrate intolerance/failure before moving to simple bilevel, and another intolerance/failure and finally approves ASV. I hope you find a streamlined path.

Once your Dx is finalized, be sure to request a detailed copy of the study and Dx for your records, as well as a paper copy of any prescription. Good luck! Looks like this might take a while. Meanwhile if you have questions about complex apnea and its treatment, don't hesitate to ask here. Several members share this problem and have successfully dealt with it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 156 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 206 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Medicare & Re-Ordering Supplies oneeyeopen 12 872 02-07-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirMini and Medicare (USA) bwilson4web 0 252 02-01-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: bwilson4web
  Wiki conflict on Medicare/CPAP ownership cps22 14 672 12-17-2023, 10:08 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Medicare (US) and CPAPs KSMatthew 4 384 12-16-2023, 10:24 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Does Medicare Require An Annual Recertification of Medical Necessity? AndyB 10 964 11-17-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: AndyB

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.