Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Medicare Health Plans
not everyone that is eligible for social security is eligible for medigap. Not all medicare advantage plans are HMO's. Mine isn't.
10-22-2014 09:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto

Other Comments:

(10-22-2014 08:06 PM)surferdude2 Wrote:  I use Plan F - high deductible for my Medicare supplemental coverage. The premium costs me 83$/mo. I pay the first $2110 as the deductible. After the deductible is met, plan F pays 100% of all charges that I incur after Medicare pays their part..

I could avoid the deductible by getting plan F standard version but the premium is $254/mo. That would cost me $3048/yr whether I used it or not. It pays 100% of all costs from the get go.

I figure I don't need insurance unless I get some terrible disease and even then I'll only be out the $2110 deductible plus 12 X $83 for the premium = $996. The total cost for a year could never exceed $2110 + $996 = $3106. That would be the worse case. If I am reasonably healthy, I'll pay the usual Medicare annual deductible of $147 and the plan F-high deductible premium of $996 for a total of $1143 for the year. That's a good saving over the standard plan F cost of $3048.

I consider what I have as catastrophic coverage and I'll gladly pay for the small stuff and hope it is ever so.

edit: I consider the Prescription plan D as nearly worthless but I keep it anyway.

just curious. I was told that with straight medicare if you go in the hospital for a medical condition that one has to pay a deductible and if that same person has to go into the hospital 91 days later for the same condition they have to pay the deductible again. Not for sure if it is 91 days but I am sure that the person has to pay a deductible EVERYTIME they go into the hospital UNLESS it is for the same illness and not longer than the time period specified by medicare (I can't recall if it is 30, 60 or 90 days but if one exceeds the time period, they must pay another deductible). Is this Plan F?
10-22-2014 09:16 PM
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

Sex: Male

Plan F is one of the optional insurance policies (A,B,C etc), the highest cost, and the best, that you can add to your medicare coverage. It will pay all the deductibles and charges that medicare does not pay.
10-22-2014 10:07 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Ghost1958 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PRS1 Series Sixty Auto Aflex
Mask Make & Model: F&P Eson
Humidifier: PRS1 with Heated Hose
CPAP Pressure: 10.5 min 16 max
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Moderate to Severe SA Obstructive. Rapid O2 desat off the machine.

I have a Medicare Advantage plan and its not an HMO. Its a PPO. Anywhere its accepted out of network which is anywhere that accepts medicare it pays exactly the same as in network on anything.

Most of stuff is out of network even my cpap and no hitches at all. Prescriptions run about 3 bucks a fill for about anything in a generic or a brand name if its preauthorized as medically necessacary by my doc.
10-22-2014 11:19 PM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

(10-22-2014 09:03 PM)me50 Wrote:  I am not sure that is the case if the person is eligible for LIS. Just something to check into.
What is LIS?

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
10-23-2014 05:03 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

(10-23-2014 05:03 AM)justMongo Wrote:  
(10-22-2014 09:03 PM)me50 Wrote:  I am not sure that is the case if the person is eligible for LIS. Just something to check into.
What is LIS? Low Income Subsidy?

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
10-23-2014 05:06 AM
GeoffD Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: Integral + ClimateLine
CPAP Pressure: 14-17
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

(10-22-2014 08:06 PM)surferdude2 Wrote:  I use Plan F - high deductible for my Medicare supplemental coverage. The premium costs me 83$/mo. I pay the first $2110 as the deductible. After the deductible is met, plan F pays 100% of all charges that I incur after Medicare pays their part..

I could avoid the deductible by getting plan F standard version but the premium is $254/mo. That would cost me $3048/yr whether I used it or not. It pays 100% of all costs from the get go.

I figure I don't need insurance unless I get some terrible disease and even then I'll only be out the $2110 deductible plus 12 X $83 for the premium = $996. The total cost for a year could never exceed $2110 + $996 = $3106. That would be the worse case. If I am reasonably healthy, I'll pay the usual Medicare annual deductible of $147 and the plan F-high deductible premium of $996 for a total of $1143 for the year. That's a good saving over the standard plan F cost of $3048.

I consider what I have as catastrophic coverage and I'll gladly pay for the small stuff and hope it is ever so.

edit: I consider the Prescription plan D as nearly worthless but I keep it anyway.

Thanks for some real-world data. So in my financial spreadsheet I keep that models my cash burn as a retiree, I can probably plug $4K in for health care and not expect to exceed that?

I think I have a pretty good handle on everything else for retirement. I've purposely tried to structure my life to minimize my cash burn when the "miracle of direct deposit" stops. It's really tough to obtain accurate Medicare information.
10-23-2014 08:25 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

(10-23-2014 08:25 AM)GeoffD Wrote:  Thanks for some real-world data. So in my financial spreadsheet I keep that models my cash burn as a retiree, I can probably plug $4K in for health care and not expect to exceed that?

I think I have a pretty good handle on everything else for retirement. I've purposely tried to structure my life to minimize my cash burn when the "miracle of direct deposit" stops. It's really tough to obtain accurate Medicare information.

Medicare with the plan F (either the high deductable or the standard) will cover all your medical expenses except for pharmacy, eye care, most dental care.

The add-on prescription plan is necessary because although flawed, it does provide some protection. Also, if you do get hit with some terrible charges eventually the plan will cover them.
10-23-2014 11:50 AM
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto

Other Comments:

(10-23-2014 05:03 AM)justMongo Wrote:  
What is LIS?

I think it stands for low income subsidy so if someone makes below a certain amount, they get their scripts at a discounted rate
10-23-2014 07:09 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

I'm just saying.. when dumped out of retiree healthcare into Medicare, pick wisely.
If you start with a regular plan F, you can downgrade all the way to A.
But, going from A to F requires medical underwriting where they look at your records and can deny or charge a super high premium if you're not in top shape.

10-23-2014 07:51 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Information [News] Medicare unveils far-reaching overhaul of doctors' pay ApneaNews 0 130 10-14-2016 05:27 PM
Last Post: ApneaNews
  Diabetes Testing under US Medicare justMongo 21 894 07-18-2016 05:33 PM
Last Post: 0rangebear
  US Medicare Medigap Question justMongo 5 532 11-14-2015 02:49 PM
Last Post: eplantz
  Medicare and B12 me50 12 1,725 07-09-2015 09:50 AM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  How do you sue Medicare -- I mean take 'em to the woodshed. justMongo 9 1,728 02-04-2015 11:55 AM
Last Post: archangle
  Medicare Part D is nearly worthless. justMongo 8 1,654 01-19-2015 02:52 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  [News] Top VA Health Official Resigns under fire ApneaNews 2 913 05-16-2014 05:49 PM
Last Post: retired_guy