Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Medicare: Switching from CPAP to BPAP
Medicare: Switching from CPAP to BPAP
If I was going to change from cpap to bpap, would Medicare require me to have another sleep study / titration?

Thanks,
SSA

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Medicare: Switching from CPAP to BPAP
You would first have to successfully "fail" at CPAP for a while. Bilevel CPAPs are expensive. I doubt they would want a second sleep study but they will want it justified like crazy. Bilevels are usually for those who have lung issues and cannot breathe out against the pressure or whose pressure is so high they need the lower exhale in order to use the machine.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Medica Switching from CPAP to BPAP
(12-02-2013, 10:15 PM)sir_sleeps_alot Wrote: If I was going to change from cpap to bpap, would Medicare require me to have another sleep study / titration?

Thanks,
SSA
http://www.resmed.com/us/documents/10134...ilevel.pdf

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I am aware that bpaps are expensive and that one needs to "fail" cpap treatment before moving on to bpap. I feel that I have successfully failed, hence the question.

I was able to make an appointment with the sleep doctor for tomorrow. Hopefully, s/he'll have some advice or a new prescription.

Thanks,
SSA

(12-02-2013, 11:01 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: You would first have to successfully "fail" at CPAP for a while. Bilevel CPAPs are expensive. I doubt they would want a second sleep study but they will want it justified like crazy. Bilevels are usually for those who have lung issues and cannot breathe out against the pressure or whose pressure is so high they need the lower exhale in order to use the machine.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-03-2013, 02:38 PM)sir_sleeps_alot Wrote: I was able to make an appointment with the sleep doctor for tomorrow. Hopefully, s/he'll have some advice or a new prescription.

There may be options available to the doctor in the way the prescription can be written. Sometimes that alone can get an insurance company to allow it. Not sure about Medicare.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
the BiPap isn't going to be that difficult to get from them. However, an auto SV is like taking gold out of Ft. Knox. Be prepared for a battle if that is requested.
Post Reply Post Reply
It should t be. I have the resmed s8 compact. Its nice and used for years.

The s9 bipap and Phillips are great. I was lucky to come across and what a difference. I would have used it more from thr start if I got a bipap. Why? I like thr pressure drop when I exhale. Omg what a difference. I use my old when when camping. Its torture. Lol. Better than walking alseep or being cranky all day.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2014, 10:33 PM)TheBATman Wrote: It should t be. I have the resmed s8 compact. Its nice and used for years.

The s9 bipap and Phillips are great. I was lucky to come across and what a difference. I would have used it more from thr start if I got a bipap. Why? I like thr pressure drop when I exhale. Omg what a difference. I use my old when when camping. Its torture. Lol. Better than walking alseep or being cranky all day.
Hi TheBATman,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 119 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 168 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 154 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Gross [Diagnosis] Moved from APAP to BPAP and struggling Spicykielbasa 1 223 03-10-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Spicykielbasa
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 204 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Medicare & Re-Ordering Supplies oneeyeopen 12 871 02-07-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirMini and Medicare (USA) bwilson4web 0 251 02-01-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: bwilson4web

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.