Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Medicare - United Healthcare
Medicare - United Healthcare
Hi y'all. Newbie to the forum but I've been on CPAP for about 20 years. Can't imagine trying to sleep without it.

I've been reading the board for a few days and I'm surprised to see what folks say about their doctors and DMEs. I've seen a doctor twice about sleep apnea. One sleep study when I was first diagnosed and once about seven years ago for a second sleep study because my CPAP machine died. I've been given a machine and sent on my way. I've never had any follow-up on therapy other than compliance check ups so insurance would pay for the machines. Every year or two I order some masks on-line.

My Resmed S9 is now showing the end of life message about my motor (after 23,000 hours of use). Also I am now on Medicare (after about a year) with the supplemental from United Healthcare. I've asked my PCP for a prescription so I could buy a new machine and wonder if I submit my receipt to UH if they will reimburse my expense. My last sleep study was about seven years ago (or 23,000 hours). I'll probably pursue the ResMed Airsense 10

Any suggestions?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Medicare - United Healthcare
It depends on your coverage. Call your insurance and ask about your coverage. Often times, Medicare will reimburse much less if you choose an out of network provider (DME), so it's best to get a list of providers from them. If you have a high deductible, you might want to consider self paying.

Also, if you go through Medicare, your Doctor will have to document a once a year visit in order to get supplies covered. Best to do your research, so there are no surprises.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It would also depend on which segment of United Healthcare you have. I'm thinking there's a regular paid version and then there's the United Healthcare Community plan AKA Medicaid. I had the latter until I started on Medicare May 1 this year. UHC emulates Medicare more or less exactly, excepting they do not reimburse at all. Either the item is approved via pre-authorization and goes through all the proper authorization steps or you buy it.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My sleep doctor told me that I need to see him twice a year to satisfy any Medicare requirements.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you now have traditional Medicare, you need to fill the Rx for a machine through a DME that is a "medicare provider." Medicare will then cover 80% of the cost, automatically submit the bill for the remaining to UHC, and they will cover the rest (depending on your supplemental plan). I have supplemental plan F, so my out-of-pocket expense for a CPAP machine was zero.

Generally, you cannot purchase and submit a receipt. Medicare doesn't work that way.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everybody for the input. Called my old sleep clinic and they have closed their doors during the pandemic. Found a new provider at a neurology clinic so I made an appointment as a new patient. I hope they don't want a new sleep study...I really don't want to do one during this pandemic.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ask the new facility to provide you with a medical release form and get them to transfer all patient files from old to new.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Medicare does pay 80% of the cost, but basically they are paying the DME to rent the machine for a year. After that you own it. I had to go see the DME monthly to prove compliance for that year.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 151 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 203 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Medicare & Re-Ordering Supplies oneeyeopen 12 871 02-07-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirMini and Medicare (USA) bwilson4web 0 251 02-01-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: bwilson4web
  Wiki conflict on Medicare/CPAP ownership cps22 14 669 12-17-2023, 10:08 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Medicare (US) and CPAPs KSMatthew 4 383 12-16-2023, 10:24 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Does Medicare Require An Annual Recertification of Medical Necessity? AndyB 10 961 11-17-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: AndyB

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.