Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Medicare and CPAP supplies HELP!
Medicare and CPAP supplies HELP!
This month, I became eligible for Medicare. When I switched to a Medicare approved DME, they said to get my CPAP supplies, I would have to call them each and every time before they would send me my monthly supplies. EVERY single time that I need scheduled filter, I am supposed to call a phone number and wait on the line while all the other Medicare people are calling, too.

I don't understand. I have a second insurance part D plan that is the number one in N. Carolina.

This seems terribly inefficient and it is hard to believe. Does anyone else have experience with this?

Thanks,
Kate
:Using cpap then vpap since Feb.2013,
Kate
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Medicare and CPAP supplies HELP!
I think, once you establish rapport with them, they,ll send your supplies as per replacement schedule

Coverage under Insurance and Medicare wiki
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...6_Medicare
Post Reply Post Reply
CPAP supplies are under Part B US Medicare. Over the past several years, Medicare has gone to using only approved suppliers.
Calling every month is not supposed to be how it works. You do have to call and ask for supplies because too many suppliers were just sending out unnecessary supplies that were not requested. However, you should be able to get a 6 month supply of filters, a new tank every 6 months, 3 new mask cushions, et cetera. I call about every 6 months.

And since my DME is located in the same complex as my sleep doctor, I just tell them I'll be dropping by after my visit with the doc to pickup: X, Y, and Z.

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
The DME told me Medicare will not allow automatic replacement of supplies. To get around that rule, the DME automatically sends me an e-mail each time resupply is authorized. If I answer the e-mail in the affirmative, the supplies are shipped to me. This arrangement was not automatically set up. I discovered its existence in a conversation with the DME clinician, called the resupply center for a form and applied to be included in the program. When I have a mask change, the e-mail erroneously assumes I want supplies for the previous mask so I have to call them to bring their database up to date.
Post Reply Post Reply
What Jim said. I live in NC and what my DME does is call me once every 3 months to ask if I am ready for the next shipment. They then send me everything I need for the next 3 months. Sometimes I have to call them, but only because Bless His Heart Ron hasn't gotten to my name yet.

Used to, some DMEs would automatically ship out your supplies, whether you needed or wanted them. To most, this was convenient but of course it opened the door to some easy ways for insurance fraud. Automatic delivery by Medicare was dropped.

I've never had to call a Medicare number or anything like that. I call the supplier. And I am not speaking to someone who only does Medicare, because BHH Ron always asks what I have.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
In the past, even though I was eligible for Medicare, I'd found that it's more economical, and less stressful, to buy my supplies out-of-pocket and then try to get reimbursement from Medicare or my health insurance company.

Now that Medicare has "approved DME vendors", I'll have to rethink my process. I have stockpiled enough filters, masks and tubing to last for at least two years and I'll keep an eye out for sales. Then I'll worry about complying with the new, improved Medicare process. Oh-jeez
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 152 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 203 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 274 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Medicare & Re-Ordering Supplies oneeyeopen 12 871 02-07-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Beginner Must Have Equipment/Supplies PoutinePrincess 7 375 02-07-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  AirMini and Medicare (USA) bwilson4web 0 251 02-01-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: bwilson4web
  Extra Supplies Columbiabill 2 389 12-28-2023, 03:15 AM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.