Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Medicare changes--can't get mask--Youre next
Medicare changes--can't get mask--Youre next
In NY Medicare recently declared New York state a competitive bidding area for all sleep apnea products. They are slowly are expanding this across the country. When this happens you can access apnea supplies only from their designated suppliers.
What is happening in NY is that now that you are locked up with certain suppliers, Medicare has allowed the suppliers to severely restrict the type of masks they will supply. This month my supplier decided no more Resmed. Or at least now they are announcing it. Three month ago they told me I could not get my mirage swift and got me to agree to a substitution which did not fit and was useless. There are no companies within the NYC area that show my mask on the Medicare site. Apparently I will have to change to a distant company but only if I can get my current provider to send the volumes of information Medicare requires to the new company and if the company wants to accept me. When I called yesterday they were not enthusiastic about a new customer. I am at this point obtaining a prescription from my doctor and will have to order and pay myself while the red tape is straightened out. We should be writing to our congressmen and preventing this lack of access to reasonable life saving medical equipment from expanding.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Medicare changes--can't get mask--Youre next
I had the same problem a year ago with diabetic testing supplies. My area became a competitive bid area for Medicare testing supplies.
The people I was getting supplies from did not carry my preferred test strips. They said "choose a different meter." I told them to, "Go pound sand." They wish to supply strips that maximize their profit after they won a low-ball bid. I have written to my Congress critter on that issue. Don't expect that they will care.

After searching and calling I did find a bid winner willing to supply the strips I wanted.
Point is: there may be a competitive bid winner who will supply ResMed.
You may use a supplier anywhere in the country as long as they are a a competitive bid winner -- you are not limited to NY.

I will PM you with a suggestion.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-18-2014, 09:40 AM)andora3 Wrote: In NY Medicare recently declared New York state a competitive bidding area for all sleep apnea products. They are slowly are expanding this across the country. When this happens you can access apnea supplies only from their designated suppliers.
What is happening in NY is that now that you are locked up with certain suppliers, Medicare has allowed the suppliers to severely restrict the type of masks they will supply. This month my supplier decided no more Resmed. Or at least now they are announcing it. Three month ago they told me I could not get my mirage swift and got me to agree to a substitution which did not fit and was useless. There are no companies within the NYC area that show my mask on the Medicare site. Apparently I will have to change to a distant company but only if I can get my current provider to send the volumes of information Medicare requires to the new company and if the company wants to accept me. When I called yesterday they were not enthusiastic about a new customer. I am at this point obtaining a prescription from my doctor and will have to order and pay myself while the red tape is straightened out. We should be writing to our congressmen and preventing this lack of access to reasonable life saving medical equipment from expanding.

you could go to an out of network supplier and that would be less expensive than you paying the full price.

you could order from one of their mail suppliers

you could go to a medicare advantage plan if you are on straight medicare

you could ask your DME if they will order it even if they don't carry it.

even if you go to an out of network supplier, check with your insurance company and see what it requires for you to file the claim for out of network payment. any reimbursement is better than you paying 100%

just some ideas to explore

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi andora3,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Best of luck in getting your insurance problem straightened out.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
If everyone goes to their DME and says they are going to get their masks online, the law will be changed fast. The DME will become a thing of the past if they don't fight this. No longer can they suck and fleece the Medicare tit. They will have to compete in the open market.
Post Reply Post Reply
Indianapolis was one of the test-beds for this policy, so I've had to live with it since I retired and became eligible for Medicare in 2011. After playing games with both Medicare and my insurance company, I found a local DME who is on Medicare's approved list - but my supplies now cost Medicare more than if they'd let me continue using Supplier #1.

My insurance company will reimburse me 75% of the costs after we (Supplier #1 and I) jump through multiple hoops. In the end, I bit the bullet and pay for the supplies out-of-pocket as my patience is worth more to me than the cost of the supplies. I'm not looking forward to the time I need a new machine!!!! oldman
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, I'll just go to buying out of pocket or going on line. Don't like my DME anyway. Any doctor can write the script for the mask and the machine, it doesn't have to be a sleep doc.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-18-2014, 06:57 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Yeah, I'll just go to buying out of pocket or going on line. Don't like my DME anyway. Any doctor can write the script for the mask and the machine, it doesn't have to be a sleep doc.

I agree with you Paula. My current DME made a mistake on my last order and then had the nerve to tell me "Medicare will not allow us to fill your order until ?? because you already have a 'partial fill' - meaning they gave me two nasal pillows and NOT the rest of my order. Then when I got the EOB for the partial fill order, I was shocked at the price that they charged Medicare and my secondary insurance. It is just a lot less hassle to pay out of pocket and be able to get supplies when I need them. I did not know any Doctor could write the script for the mask and machine.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-18-2014, 07:09 PM)GrammaBear Wrote:
(02-18-2014, 06:57 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Yeah, I'll just go to buying out of pocket or going on line. Don't like my DME anyway. Any doctor can write the script for the mask and the machine, it doesn't have to be a sleep doc.

I agree with you Paula. My current DME made a mistake on my last order and then had the nerve to tell me "Medicare will not allow us to fill your order until ?? because you already have a 'partial fill' - meaning they gave me two nasal pillows and NOT the rest of my order. Then when I got the EOB for the partial fill order, I was shocked at the price that they charged Medicare and my secondary insurance. It is just a lot less hassle to pay out of pocket and be able to get supplies when I need them. I did not know any Doctor could write the script for the mask and machine.

I think your DME is full of it. Medicare doesn't care if the order is done in 2 orders 3 orders 5 orders, etc., as long as you are eligible for the supplies. Your DME (RT) was probably too lazy to correct their error. JMHO
Post Reply Post Reply
Medicare allows for X # of supplies every X months. I can never remember the schedule. So it could be what he was saying is you were still not eligible for the next set or something.

But it most likely is they are idiots and didn't want to help you.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 148 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 201 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Medicare & Re-Ordering Supplies oneeyeopen 12 871 02-07-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirMini and Medicare (USA) bwilson4web 0 250 02-01-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: bwilson4web
  Wiki conflict on Medicare/CPAP ownership cps22 14 667 12-17-2023, 10:08 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Medicare (US) and CPAPs KSMatthew 4 383 12-16-2023, 10:24 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Does Medicare Require An Annual Recertification of Medical Necessity? AndyB 10 959 11-17-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: AndyB

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.